Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I survived my first earthquake! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I survived my first earthquake!
Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may have heard that the midwest had an earthquake on Friday. I was woken up at around 4:30am to my bed lightly shaking. I honestly thought my house was haunted and a ghost was shaking my bed! Then a bigger jolt happened and the whole damn house was vibrating. I knew it was an earthquake when I heard my picture frames rattling. I couldn't go back to sleep for about two hours because I was a wee bit freaked out. Not to mention I was on edge all of Friday, expecting a bigger one to happen.

So to all of you out in California, are you use to it by now? Do you have a 'game plan' if a big one hits? The Madrid Fault is not to far from here, and I'm not about to go psycho and take out earthquake insurance or anything like that. But I can safely say that it scared the crap out of me!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2008 09:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, that can be scary esp. when you get woke up by one ..

I remember back in 1983 when C.Idaho got hit by an earthquake and my hometown was 80 miles away. I got woke up with the chandelier in my bedroom swaying pretty good and felt like I was been shook almost out of my bed...and watching cracks appear from where the chandelier was to the edges of the room on the ceiling (luckilly, I was living in an apartment.. on the main floor), and you don't think that was freaky as can be...

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2008 10:33 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had just fallen asleep when it happened, and it was basically over by the time I was fully awake. I thought it was probably my cat jumping around the room, since he's usually the cause of strange noises in the middle of the night, and I got up and started to look for him. But then my roommate came over and said, "Hey, did you feel that?"

So then I started freaking out, not because I thought it was an earthquake, but because the house that I live in is fairly run down and seems like it's about to cave in at any moment on its own. Luckily, the house is okay. It's just the continent that's fracked up.

P.S. Allison, I got another one of your robots a couple weeks ago.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-19-2008 11:51 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I heard about that, Allison. They can be disorienting. Glad to hear you made it out relatively unscathed. [Smile]

I remember one we had in Kentucky in the early 80s. It was a Sunday afternoon and I was running the booth at the Kentucky Theatre in Lexington. The floor and walls started shaking, and I thought the 1922-vintage theatre was collapsing. I headed for the booth door and the stairs, but I recall it was very hard to run on the floor because it seemed to be twisting. Later, after it was all over, the manager told me some grumpy old man came out of the auditorium during the quake, looked up towards the booth and groaned, "What's he DOING up there?!" [Big Grin]

A buddy of mine was working the booth at another theatre and I asked him what he did when the quake hit. He told me the first thing he did was shut the show down (these were the single-screen and carbon arc days) and start shutting the equipment off. I told him I said to heck with the show, that was the last thing on my mind. I left everything running and hit the door! I figured if the building was going to come down, it wouldn't matter the least little bit if the equipment was running or not when it did.

I remember another quake when I lived in Boston, about 2002... early morning about 7, and I was sleeping. The walls started vibrating and I just thought the neighbors were running an impact drill or something on their side of the duplex, so I pounded on the wall. It stopped, so I didn't think anything else about it until I heard on the news that day there'd been an earthquake. [Wink]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-20-2008 12:28 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been through a few small ones back in Seattle. Most of them we hardly felt at all. But the freakiest was when I was sitting in my room watching a basketball game and I hear what sounds like a huge thunder (which wasn't unexpected as we had bad weather that day). But then I see the picture on the TV and the whole thing itself was vibrating up and down. It was so surreal.

But I think the highest we ever had was a 6.5-6.7 on the Richter (though that one destroyed some older brick stuff in downtown). Though the whole area is quite overdue for both a massive earthquake (like 9-10 on the Richter) AND Mt Ranier is overdue for blowing its top (mountain climber friends had noted the distinct sulfur smell of an active volcano [Eek!] ).

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 12:37 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Allison, I'll never get used to those Earthquakes. Always freaks me out each and everytime it happens. The main thing for me, when not working, I just have to find a safe place in my house until the shaking stops and take it from there. But, when at work, if it does happen, I just follow company procedures.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2008 12:49 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earthquakes are pretty unnerving.

The first one I remember experiencing was one when my family lived in Yuma, AZ in the late 1970s. Pretty minor, but enough to get attention.

We witnessed worse ones at my father's next duty station in Iwakuni, Japan. Luckily me and my brother were away at Boy Scout summer camp near Tokyo when the worst one hit near Iwakuni. My mother laughed about how my dad had his whole body thrown up against the expensive rack mount stereo system he just bought.

Here in Lawton we get a few minor tremblers from the Meers fault running through the Wichita Mountains. The Meers Store (which makes great hamburgers from Texas Longhorn beef and Bison) has an earthquake monitoring station that is a legitimate part of the US government's effort at monitoring geological activity.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 04:13 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in the most earthquake active area of Europe (where the plates of Europe, Asia and Africa meet and collide, we do have many medium and few higher magnitude quakes per year (getting more frequent the last few years). Even if you are used to it, each experience is disturbing, first hearing the rumble and then waiting for the shake.

C.

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a couple in England in the last few years.Nothing like you get in the states but strong enough to show that we aint in control of things.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2008 05:59 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had to point out how funny it is (to me, at least) that Mr. Faultless posted in an earthquake thread!!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2008 07:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison... that was just a small shaker... a warning to everyone as to what may come. There was a magnitude 4.8 shaker that occured in the same general vicinity back in the late 60's that could be felt in the Chicago burbs. I noticed it happen because it made the hanging lamp over our kitchen table sway. The last really huge quake in that area in the early 1800's or there abouts changed tthe course of both the Mississipi and Ohio rivers... The next big one is bound to change the shape of both the St. Louis and Chicago skylines! I hope the Arch has earthquake reinforcement [Eek!] ...

Of course we have them out here too... The Wasatch mountains are juust a half mile east of me... They shift alot generating hundreds of small quakes a year... 99% of them are never felt and no one knows. They say we are going to have a big one here too and that both Yellowstone and Craters Of The Moon Parks are going to be blown off the face of the earth by a huge volcanic eruption any day now and most of it will land back over in Utah. Ha... that'll be mighty impressive when it happens, I'll be sure to get pictures [Cool] .

Watching a show last night on History Channel that told about how 200 million years from now the coast of Africa and the US will eventually collide due to the motion of plate tectonics and New York City... the entire East Coast actually... will be at the top of a new mountain range. That high priced East Coast real estate of course will have been long gone at that point in time... mowed over by at least another two dozen different Ice Ages. It was interesting to note as they said that man has happened, built civilazition and built advanced cities in just a blink of time.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-20-2008 10:31 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
200 million years from now the coast of Africa and the US will eventually collide
Yes, and no one will be around to prove them wrong. These kinds of predictions are very egocentric. They want you to believe the continents are floating on the water, when it's the water that's pooled on the earth. The gulleys might change shape, but I seriously doubt a continent will come ambling over on top of ground that's already there. "Hey, how ya doin'!" [Roll Eyes]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-20-2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woke me up! Felt like someone was bumping the side of the matress. No casualties except one (of three) cats that hid in the linen closet all day and refused to come out. The other two cats didn't care, but the 13 month old was seriosuly traumatized for 36 hours; he's OK now.

I was in Derby, UK for their recent small quake. Others in the hotel sent the night in the hallway... I went back to sleep after watching Skynews for awhile. Louis

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-20-2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

There even was a small Earthquake a few years ago in South America (believe it was in Brazil) that was felt in Iowa and even in Toronto. Apparently the fact that the plate movement happened many, many miles beneath the surface helped the wave propagate easier.

Tim,
While it's not entirely valid to imply, as you have, that continents move "on top of the ground" (if they move at all it would be on top of the semi-liquid mess that is beneath the crust/ground, I definitely concur that these kinds of predictions are pretty meaningless.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2008 10:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Woke me up! Felt like someone was bumping the side of the matress.
Are you sre it wasn't????? [Wink]

You guys don't have a clue... any of you know what the Lithosphere is? I think you need to go spend 5 minutes and study Plate Tectonics. As long as the Earth's core is molten the earth's crust or Lithosphere which is the Crust and the upper part of the mantle keep moving.

NOW take ten seconds and stop and think... why do we find marine life fossils 10 to 20 thousand feet up in some mountain ranges...? BUZZZZZZST Times up.... If you were thinking thats because that mountaintop used to be at the bottom of an ancient sea you are correct.

Tim... be sure not to get yur foot caught between those there continents when Africa comes a slidin in [Eek!] .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: