Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I'm back -- how do I bust back into this industry

Author Topic: I'm back -- how do I bust back into this industry
Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 09:22 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a long hiatus, I'm back. Had to effectively take my life down for some much needed maintenance. Leaving Regal upset some life plans, which in turn upset me. I now have a fresh, more solid outlook on things, though I'm still without a job in the cinema tech field. Hopefully I can find some way to put that part of my life back on track. Hopefully before my current job shuts down for renovations for the summer. I'd like to be able to make that change over in one fell swoop. So, I'm wondering if maybe I should apply to one of the major cinema tech companies?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very first thing you should do is put a better title on this thread.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 09:46 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya might try the help wanted position wanted forum! Like Mike I also agree the title of this thread title isn't very good for you to use. It says nothing about what you are trying to say. It doesn't even say I'm back! Which I am but I wasn't gone either!

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 09:48 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rectified that, I hope. Good idea checking out the help wanted section. I almost forgot there was one. I'll scour that, maybe post my own if need be. I've been out of the loop for way too long.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-23-2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're a highly experienced tech then I wouldn't waste your time with one of the major service houses... working for a smaller Cinema Equipment Dealer is the better route to go... and may get you just as good of benefits in the long haul. Techs are in great shortage and depending on the situation in your area you may be better off being on your own... although it may take a little patience and fortitude to get there. Good quality work doesn't require any advertising... it travels by word of mouth.

A second opportunity may be to leave film all together since film will be leaving us and go strictly into digital cinema. I don't know how old you are but working for one of the actual Digital Equipment Manufacturers as a tech would certainly guarantee you a long future in this industry. Were I a bit younger I would be doing just this, there is little to no future on the film end of things as a tech in the long haul.

What ever you choose be sure to be happy in your work, if you're not then you'll just be miserable.

Mark

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2008 10:52 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thoughts Mark. I'm only 29, so I guess I'm young enough to make that change, but I really enjoy working with the film based cinema. I would say I'm decently experienced, but I still would need to start somewhere I can finish my training. My general electronic and mechanical experience, and near vertical learning curve, helps bridge the gap some in my expereince in this field. So does reading the posts on this, and other sites. If I don't know something, I have the internet, so I'll look it up. I'll have to look around and see who services this area, and see if they're hiring. I'd want to start out as an entry level tech anyhow, so I can be sure that I have a solid ground before getting put in a position where they're expecting me to do the cinema equivalent of brain surgery, and find that I didn't know as much as I thought.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 03:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
...leave film all together since film will be leaving us and go strictly into digital cinema..
Thus, with the some of us still stuck in the 35mm world with antiquidated equipment staring up in the face, where, if we still want to keep in the tekkie world, do we begin to learn all of this digital stuff?

(Mark ..great shots of you at that one theatre in WYO on that Barco install by the way ...)

..thx-monte

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 04-24-2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if there is a connection or if it's a sign, but the New Sheridan Hotel in Telluride has a black metal lock-box from the first quarter of the 20th Century on display on one of its bookshelves with "Charles Greenlee" on it! [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2008 11:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles... You're just the right age to begin a new journey. I'd go for it for sure. Start by contacting Christie Digital... they always need good techs, especially techs that can do both film and digital. I Sean James is who you want to contact there.

Mark

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2008 03:31 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, good ideas. ::thinks to himself "And this is why I come here":: [thumbsup] And yes, I jokingly try to claim anything that Has "Greenlee" on it. Tried the claim the multimeter from my old theatre, but they wouldn't let me. [Frown] Evedently they make antyhing from multimieters to storage boxes. I've even seen clipboards.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always think of chassis and electrical punches. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can think of punches... now I'll always think about that steel box in Telluride and when I need my punches they'll be someplace else!

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I went to the Christie site and saw under Careers a Technician job. I can apply to it straight there. However I'm told to contact Sean James. Is contacting him a better route? If so, what's his email address? Christie has a decent contact form, but though it has a slot for the recipient name, can it actually email by recipient only, or will I additionally need the email address? The required qualifications look promising.

Oh and I beleive it is a sign. Maybe you should hire me. [thumbsup] LoL

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2008 07:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told b a person whom writes resumes that once you know what company and division you want to work for you write directly to that division manager... not the personel department... your resume or application may just lay on the personal managers desk or get filed and forgotten about. On the other hand if your resume impresses that division manager he WILL want to hire you and will either contact you directly or hand carry it to the personel manager and have him get ahold of you. Also... needless to say a resume is better than a job application although they may still make you also fill the company job application depending on the operating rules the company has established...

My reccomendation is to call Christie and see what they say. They may ONLY use the on-line application... but I can't answer that.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: