Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Importance of Shop Safety (VERY GRAPHIC PICS OF RECENT FATALITY!!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Importance of Shop Safety (VERY GRAPHIC PICS OF RECENT FATALITY!!)
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING...THE FOLLOWING PICTURES ARE VERY GRAPHIC AND NOT FOR THOSE WITH WEAK STOMACHS!

These are picks of a recent machine shop fatality that are now being widely circulated. This fatality was the direct result of wearing inappropriate clothing around a machine with high-speed rotating parts.

- ]http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads1102&file=sample.jpg[/IMG]

In this case, a machinist was polishing some parts on a large lathe. He was wearing long-sleeve clothing which became entangled in the high-speed rotating headstock. His head down to his shoulders are...HAMBURGER!

I'll have to edit this post/add pics later. later

-

IMG]http://www.film-tech.com/uploads/uploads0503/lathe2.jpg[/IMG]

[ 04-25-2008, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Will Kutler ]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 02:09 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your IMG tag is broken. Here's it corrected  -

edit: I posted before realizing you put this up as a stub and would be adding them later

2nd edit:
Your second link doesn't work
 -

[ 04-25-2008, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Chris Slycord ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 04:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The link didn't work for me, either, but I guess we're into the same issue as with the Budd Dwyer footage: do we need to see it to really take Will's point?

I remember being shown a 16mm educational film in school as part of a rail safety campaign called 'I'm Train Trained'. Having seen the film and heard the lecture from the visiting speaker who showed it, you got a badge with the slogan on it (I think I've still got mine, somewhere). Around 25 years later we took in a collection of educational films at the archive I worked for, including that one. It didn't leave anything to the imagination. The plot goes something like this: Irresponsible younger (male) sibling runs onto railway line to retrieve football, while responsible older sister warns him not to. He doesn't listen, and while he's on the track she sees a train bearing down on him in the distance. She runs onto the track to pull him off, and is electrocuted by the live rail as she does so. A split second later, her brother is run over by the train. Cue shots of mangled and burnt body parts which leave nothing whatsoever to the imagination, while a stern commentary warns viewers not to go anywhere near railway lines.

I suppose that film must have done the job its makers intended, because I can still remember it in that much detail, around 30 years after I first saw it.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-24-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, they used to run "scare" films like that every Sunday morning on a TV show we used to watch called, "Police Call".

I loved them! [Wink]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-24-2008 06:45 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran those kind of films for driver education classes in the schools here back in the day. The 1959 Ohio State Highway Patrol film Signal 30 was a favorite amongst us then AV club geeks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-24-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wonder if you can go to this site and find these police programs in the "Moving Images" section of this webpage..

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder why the link didn't work?

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2008 11:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
Wonder why the link didn't work?

Its cause they patched the guy up and sent em home!

quote: Monte L Fullmer
wonder if you can go to this site and find these police programs in the "Moving Images" section of this web page..

I dono but they have over 60 Drive Inn Intermission Commercials . The Timster ought to go ape over these. Some of the Drive Inn food in those commercials should closely resemble the guy in the missing photo above... So just let your imagination control you for a while.

EDIT: Cool site Monte! Oh yea and be sure to watch "How To Wash Clothes"

Or... One of the best Stooges shorts "Disorder In The Court" "Do You Swear to Tell the Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing But the Truth? Why, Soitenly!"
Watch for Sol Horwitz... Moe, Curley, and Shemp's father makes a short appearance in this film!

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-26-2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you bet your ass I've gone ape over those, because every one of them was pirated from my library! I've been trying for several months to get that site to remove them, but my requests to their legal dept. have gone ignored. The guy who uploaded them even calls himself "Illegal Copy Video!"

Now these clips are all over the Internet because of that site, advertising them as "public domain"! I've seen a ton of them on You Tube, and one person is even using them in a freakin' documentary!! I'm so pissed off I can't see straight.

I'm now trying to find a good entertainment lawyer. But the sad thing is it's going to cost ME money to get them pulled! [Mad]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-26-2008 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my driver-ed instructor calling those movies "blood'n'guts" films. Of course I was always too busy hoping and watching for a film malfunction on the old classic 16mm projector to pay enough attention to the movie!

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2008 04:55 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny the subject of scare films has come up. Just 10 minutes ago, I just fixed a scotch tape splice on a Kodachrome print of "Mechanized Death." John is very excited to run it tonight. I'm not so sure. I'm afraid I might [puke]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-26-2008 06:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Did you ever stop to realize they probably don't have any legal department. And hey... I have all those on 35mm too... so they must be public domain.... [Wink]

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-27-2008 12:48 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no... it's my library, my archive, that I have been licensing subjects from for TV shows, books, and documentaries for years. The same as Sabucat does for movie trailers, I do with intermission snipes. Someone can't take a transfer that Jeff made for a TV show and then have someone else use that transfer in something else without his permission. That's how stock libraries work - we're not dealing with rights to the title, but rather mechanical rights to the source material.

FWIW, Archive.org has a rights management administrator.

Btw, while you may have some of the same snipes, I seriously doubt you have everything I do, or even everything pirated on that site. I've been collecting these things from numerous sources since the early 70s. Most of the titles in my collection I have not seen any other prints of, ever... and I've been through my share of drive-ins and stock libraries over the years.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-27-2008 05:31 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you don't have rights to the original title, the problem is proving that the pirate used your source material, and didn't get it from somewhere else. At the last archive I worked for, someone put the contents of two DVDs we published on YouTube, minus two titles (about 10% of the total footage) which we owned the rights to as well as preserved the source elements. He also removed our specially commissioned music from one of the silent items. When we asked YouTube to take this stuff down, the individual refused, claiming that he'd transferred his own prints and that the matter was nothing to do with us. This was clearly BS, because they were clearly our transfers: all the scratches and jumps from the source elements were in the same place, and on two items we'd colour corrected the dye fading using Avid. If he'd transferred his own prints, then unless he had some pretty expensive hardware and software (this was in 2004, when low-end video software such as Premiere wasn't capable of very good results correcting dye fading), they would have looked pink as hell.

All we could do after that was to notify the third party copyright owners of the original material (who'd given us permission to publish the DVD, but not for this person to put them on YouTube), but they didn't think it was worth their while or cost to get lawyers on the case.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-27-2008 09:15 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, that is true. The thing I've been banking on is the scratches, emulsion scortches, and splices all match up to my prints. They are as unique as thumb prints and should be as good as a watermark. It probably won't work out that way, but I'm going to try.

In fact, that was always in the back of my mind when I originally loaned this material to the producer of the video series from which it has been copied. I figured these anomalies could be used to positively identify my material. I should've taken the high road, however, and just corner keyed the 3/4" masters.

Today, however, anything I put on video now has some type of identifying watermark. I've had too much good stuff go out the window with just that one video series. It has lessened the value of my original prints.

Btw, sorry to hijack your thread, Will.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: