Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » It's time for me to take a holiday (or two). (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: It's time for me to take a holiday (or two).
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-30-2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow, Thursday is my last day at work; on Friday morning I'm heading North by coach to Yorkshire. I'll be staying four nights at the same hotel in Bradford where I was last month for the Widescreen Weekend, and making various day trips further North; I haven't decided exactly where to yet, possibly as far as Carlisle, or even Glasgow, one day. Bradford is roughly half way between London and Glasgow, so places which are too far from London to do as a day trip can be done from Bradford.

On Tuesday morning I head back to London, arriving home mid afternoon. On Wednesday I will be back at work for just one day, before departing Westwards on Thursday morning to new Jersey. I'll be there for six nights, departing on Wednesday evening and arriving home on thursday morning. I've the got the rest of Thursday to recover from the flight before returning to work on Friday the 16th.

Hopefully I will have Internet access in both places.

It's costing a lot of money, but I really need a break; it will be going on the credit card for a few months!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-30-2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hope you get a good break
holiday what is that [Smile]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2008 12:03 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can it cost a lot of money the way the Pound is killing the dollar? Lol

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2008 05:17 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Expensive is one of the few words that translates to and from any language (and currency) with ease!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-01-2008 12:36 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a bugger! I'm in London staying with the rellies this weekend - if I'd been in York, I'd have happily taken you on a Yorkshire sightseeing tour (there are some beautiful places round here, e.g. the North York Moors or the Scarborough-Whitby coastline which range from difficult to impossible to see by public transport).

Ironically, I'm going to be only about 10 miles from your usual stomping ground (Wimbledon), while you're going to be right next to mine.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't decided what I'll be doing yet; one advantage of Bradford as a base is that it's only a short journey from many places worth visiting, but it's cheaper than staying somewhere like York. I'll basically be heading Northwards, into the Aire Valley, depending on the weather I might take a boat trip on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, or maybe a train ride on the Settle and Carlisle, I might even get as far as Glasgow one day; we'll just have to see, I don't have to make up my mind in advance.

Tim Rectanus
Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Tim Rectanus   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Rectanus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I will bite!
Why New Jersey? Same kind of reason as staying in Bradford, to use as a base and venture out from there?

And for money, sometimes I tend to spend more when everything is on sale, as it will seem coming from the UK and that strong Pound.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have been in Bradford almost an hour and a half ago, but only just leaving Leeds, probably getting on for half an hour still to go. Traffic has been terrible (it's a bank holiday weekend here).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why New Jersey?

Everyone knows that New Jersey is the place to be! From it's exciting urban night life to the rolling hills and farms and small towns, and of course the ocean resorts, why would anyone want to go anywhere else.

Of course, Stephen is a regular at our screenings at The Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre, a 1929 movie palace that is being operated and restored by the non profit Friends Of The Loews.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2008 06:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been there for quite some time now Mitchell; it's two years since my last visit.

I finally got to Bradford, about two hours late. Took a trip to Saltaire and Bingley yesterday evening. At the moment I'm sitting in Starbucks near the City Hall, close to the former Odeon cinema, now in a very sorry state, the Alhambra Theatre, which looks very nice, and what used to be the National Museun of Photography Film and Television, and is now the National Media Museum, but you'd never know it because it seems to have no signs since the old ones were removed. Dick, if you're reading this, can't you get some new signs on the building?

A few weeks ago I as given a box of parts which used to be a MPP Mk.8 Micro Technical Camera, 1963-1988, I think this was a fairly early one. I've put it back together and repaired a few things; there are still a few minor parts which are broken or missing, but nothing important, it's usable. Since it folds up spall, and is fairly light, I decided to bring it with me, but I forgot the cable release. I went to Jessops, which seems to be becoming the only camera store in the UK, and asked for one. The young man behind the counter looked puzzled, a slightly older man had heard of them, and thought they might have one; he found one in a clearance bin for £9.99. No film cameras except for a few disposable ones. Plenty of film, in various types, colour negative and slide, and black and white, in 35mm and 120 roll, but no 5x4 sheet; it's a good job I brought some with me. Hotel bathroom makes a very good darkroom for loading holders. I haven't done any photography for ages, I just haven't had the time.

I've decided I will go to see 'This is Cinerama' after all, not sure where I am going later.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-03-2008 11:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
Everyone knows that New Jersey is the place to be!
I'll second that. I love New Jersey. Just like Mitchell says, it runs the gamut from sprawling urban to small town homebody flavor. I'm in New Jersey almost daily (and live just 10 minutes from the state line)... I could live the rest of my life there and be happy as a clam.

And probably most of all, ever since I drove a truck I've known that there are some very beautiful women in Jersey. [Wink] [Cool]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2008 11:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come Jersey always gets dumped on by comedians? George Carlin even has an album called, "What Am I Doing In New Jersey?"

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2008 03:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's one of the closest parts of the US to Europe, therefore flight time is short enough to be just about bearable, it has an airport which is considerably less bad than JFK, it used to be cheap to stay there, but prices have shot up in the last few years, it has very good transport connections, seems like quite a nice place, but I haven't seen that much of it mainly on a line from Mahwah (I think that's how you spell it) in the North to Camden in the South.

I was warned about Camden, people said it as a terrible place, there was something in the newspaper about it being the fifth (I think) best place in the US to get murdered, but it doesn't seem bad, not the best place that I've ever been, but a long way from being the worst.

As Mitchel said, the Loew's Jersey is there, and there's also the Union County Arts Centre in Rahway, and while not in New Jersey the Lafayette sin Suffern NY is only a few hundred metres over the border. There's also that Omnimax at Liberty State Park, but I've never been there.

The re-developed area around Newport, Exchange Place and Harborside is rather like the London Docklands.

I'm off to Keighley this morning, for a trip on the Worth Valley Railway, where 'The Railway Children' was filmed, amongst other things.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2008 08:07 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,
Be sure to spend a weekend in Titfield [Smile] .

Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2008 02:18 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a long way from here Mark, the other end of the Country. Plenty of cinemas around here though, pity we can't arrange a screening.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: