Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Our New Baby Boy is Here! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Our New Baby Boy is Here!
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 08:15 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Jens Waaland was born on Monday afternoon at 1:42pm eastern time. He is 10 lbs. 3 ozs. and 22" long. He is our first baby and he is so cute!

On Sunday around 7pm while I was trying to tie my wife's shoes she started laughing and her water broke. Her feet have been so swollen since the eighth month that most of her shoes did not fit anymore. We came to the hospital and they admitted her since there is too much chance of infection after that happens. She wasn't having contractions so they induced her with Pitocin around 8:30pm. After about ten minutes her contractions got pretty severe and she had to wait until 4cm to get an epidural and she was only at 1cm. She had contractions back to back with less than a minute in between for several hours which seemed like an eternity. It was horrible to see her in that much pain and they gave her some Nubain to take the edge off. She would fall asleep as soon as one contraction ended since she was so tired and 45 seconds later she would wake with another. The Nubain didn't last long and so they gave her the epidural around 4:30am when she finally reached 4cm dilation. After that we both got about two hours of sleep. Around 1pm on Monday she started to push and after only 45 minutes she gave birth. I was front row and center for the show. WOW! I am still in shock over the things that I saw! He got stuck towards the end and the doctor had to use the vacuum on his head to get him out. I was a little freaked out by how hard he pulled but he seems to be okay except for a little bit of bruising and swelling on that part of his head.

The nurses and our friends can't believe that my wife delivered him without a c-section. Since he is our first we have nothing to compare it to so it doesn't feel like such a big deal to us. He beat his old man by half a pound and half an inch.

We get to take him home tomorrow and can't wait. We are exhausted and the steady stream of nurses, visitors and photographers coming through is tiring. There have also been child care classes and constant breast feeding throughout the night. While she was pregnant we went to every class you could take on childbirth, car seat safety, infant cpr, lamaze, breast feeding and picking a pediatrician. We read a ton and toured the maternity ward twice. The one thing they didn't tell us was how busy we would be after with check-ups, photos, paperwork and everything else that we didn't expect. Regardless, we have a beautiful baby boy and he is well worth it! [Smile] [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-06-2008 08:25 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joshua

Congratulations! [thumbsup] Your life will never be the same again but only in a good (great) way.

Now, you know Will needs a brother or sister, right? [Wink] (Probably best not to mention that last part to your wife right now...unless you're out of striking distance).

Well done, and again congrats to you and your wife. Now, where's that picture of young Will?

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here he is only minutes after he was born. He has a full head of dark hair, unlike me (I am blonde and balding), and looks like my wife.

-

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-06-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! On your new baby!!! [beer]

He is really cute! [thumbsup]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-06-2008 09:29 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Congratulations! [thumbsup]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2008 11:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, that's a big baby! Congratulations though! Hope your wife is doing OK.
[Eek!]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2008 11:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joshua Waaland
Here he is only minutes after he was born. He has a full head of dark hair, unlike me (I am blonde and balding), and looks like my wife.

Which one in the picture are you refering to? Just kiddin... Congrats... [thumbsup] He is almost a full grown man at that weight. Perhaps you should nickname him "Little Man" for now.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-07-2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Babies are precious. I'm happy for you, Joshua! Congratulations. [Smile]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 05-07-2008 07:49 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely kewl! Congrats.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2008 08:43 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Congratulations! Your life will never be the same again but only in a good (great) way.

I'll echo the same sentiments.... as a proud father of 3 boys myself!
[thumbsup]

Marc Hansen
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2008 11:13 PM      Profile for Marc Hansen   Email Marc Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a friend of mine said when my daughter was born (9 pounds 10.5 ounces and 21 inches)you didn't have a baby you had a toddler. Congats and enjoy! It's a great experience and lots of fun.

Marc
(father of a 5 year old)

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of your kind words. [Smile]

Last night was our first night at home and my poor wife was up a lot. I wanted to help but every time I tried she wouldn't let me since there really isn't much I can do. He just wants fed every two hours or so and I don't have the hardware to do that.

He is a big boy. He is already lifting his head when we lay him on our chests. We have tons of newborn diapers and clothing that do not even fit him.

We are definitely in that new parent mode. We are terrified that we are going to hurt him. We are getting better but we never realized how much we would love him already and want to protect him. [Smile]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats.

Though if you think THAT'S a big baby I remember telling my mom that some woman had given birth to a 15 or 16 lb baby which was apparently going in the record books only to have her say back home in Iowa she remembered a local farmer's wife who had an 18 lb baby. [Eek!]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2008 03:03 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a 10lb 11oz baby that was born at the hospital at the same time Will was but he was born c-section. They said he was born 4 weeks early because he is such a chunk.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: