Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2008 09:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who is a fan of Nine Inch Nails needs to visit the nin.com website. Trent Reznor has made the latest NIN album, The Slip available to download free. Perhaps this is a another big middle finger to point at major record labels. Users can download files in a choice of formats (and download more than just one type of format): high bit rate MP3, FLAC lossless, Apple M4A lossless and a 1.2GB 24/96 wave.

Reznor says a CD release of the same material is coming in July for those who want a tangible product for their music collection.

Additionally, the NIN website has set up a registration system for NIN fans to buy advance, pre-sale tickets to NIN shows on the upcoming tour. These tickets are available exclusively through the NIN website well before any of the arenas make them publicly available. Fans will be required to show legal identification at the venue's will call office to pick up these tickets. This move is an attempt to sabotage efforts of greedy ticket scalping firms that otherwise hijack the best seats of many concerts out of the hands of true fans.

I hope the move works and becomes a model for many other concert performers to use. I also wish for the folks who run those ticket scalping operations to contract malignant tumors behind their eyeballs.

Anyway, kudos to Trent Reznor. He's a very progressive and generous musician.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2008 11:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NIN, isn't that a recent flop movie with Jodie Foster? (Sorry)

I think Nine Inch Nails has been a free agent for a couple of albums now, so not surprising he's doing the free-download thing. It worked well for Radiohead on their new album "In Rainbows" -- although with them, you could pay whatever you wanted for the album -- or nothing, if you so chose. I read somewhere that about half of the downloaders chose the "nothing" option, but others paid up to $15 voluntarily.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably buy the retail CD version of The Slip since I already own all the other NIN studio albums.

I think it's kind of slick how the MP3 files were put together for this album. I copied the 10 MP3 files from the album onto my Playstation 3 via a "MUSIC" folder on a SD card. Data in the tracks helped the PS3 organize all 10 into their own "album" complete with the cover art and different graphic thumbnails for each song. The album plays in order without any audio breaks between the tracks -just like how a regular CD would behave. Programs like iTunes may do the same thing with the files.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's great. I thinkn Trent Reznor is a rare bread in the music industry. I think that Trent realizes that a lot of NIN fans are um... fanatical. They will buy ANYTHING that sais NIN or has anything to do with it. I think Trent realizes that those loyal fans have made him a lot of money. Unlike a lot of other artists who forget that it's the fans that pay thier bills he appreciates it so he is doing something to give back to the people who have supported him and his music for years. I think it's great. I like NIN they are not my favorite but I like them but I have TREMENDOUS respect for Trent which is a rare way for me to feel about a mainstream big label musician. I think Trent has stayed down to earth and is not so full of himself as to not appreciate his fans. I think some artists think that thier fans are lucky to be able to pay big bucks to hear thier music. Not Trent. Just my opinion.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2008 03:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean McKinnon
I think that Trent realizes that a lot of NIN fans are um... fanatical.
OT:
Reminds me of some sort of High School Assembly where the assistant principal was joking about this one kid being the school's "superfan" since he went all out at everything. Then the guy said "Remember that you can be a fan without being fanatic."

Sadly, he was serious.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong... I am not saying there is anything wrong with being a "super fan" I get like that with some of the local Boston punk and hardcore bands. I am just saying that it is good that Trent Reznor recognizes that and is willing to give something back to his fans.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2008 04:38 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember George Michael doing a similar thing with his album a few years ago. The difference being that it was never available on CD.

I appreciate Trent's generosity and willingness to give back to his fans. It's refreshing to see this in a world so full of commercialized and talent-less music.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-07-2008 06:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a NIN fan (not my kind of music) but I appreciate the dedication his fans have. NIN is not one of our top sellers but there are a few guys around town who always start inquiring whenever a new CD is imminent.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2008 08:36 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOTE:
I wasn't saying anything against super-fans either. I was simply pointing out that the guy was saying you can be a fan without being a fanatic despite fan being short for fanatic.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah I get you now! I never realized that "fan" was short for fanatic that's pretty funny! I guess you learn something every day!

[ 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Sean McKinnon ]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Perhaps this is a another big middle finger to point at major record labels.
I think the reasoning behind it is that CD sales have fallen so very, very far over these past couple years. I heard something on the radio about how #1 album sales recently was 160,000. Pathetic. People are downloading music now, easy as that.

Jimmy Chamberlain of The Smashing Pumpkins in a recent interview disclosed that the Pumpkins would not be releasing any more albums for retail sale - ever. They will be making 3-5 songs available for download a few times a year.

Bands have always made more money off tours anyway, so I doubt this trend will hurt their income, the difference will be for the labels. Reznor is the man, always has been, so as a NIN fan I trust his decision. I'm glad he's still going to offer a physical album, but I wonder how many remixes he will go through between now and then.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-10-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I really like most about what Reznor is doing is he's accommodating both the portable, low quality segment of the music market as well as catering to the high end sector.

Reznor does have a keen interest in 24-bit 96kHz recording and new disc formats like Blu-ray. His recent instrumental project Ghosts I-IV was available for free download in a variety of audio formats including 24/96 and a special Blu-ray disc package including a lot of artwork was made available.

What Reznor is doing is essentially what the music industry should have been doing for the past several years. If I ran a record company, I'd make severely compressed MP3's available for anyone to download at any time, but I would put together retail products with a lot of great value in them rather than just stick a $20 CD in a regular old jewel case.

Vinyl records used to sell very well for all the extra, cool stuff you got with the packaging. Music CDs don't do that. You don't have large, cool looking artwork. It's just a little bit of tiny crap no more remarkable than a small tri-fold brochure.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2008 07:25 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vinyl records used to sell very well for all the extra, cool stuff you got with the packaging. Music CDs don't do that. You don't have large, cool looking artwork. It's just a little bit of tiny crap no more remarkable than a small tri-fold brochure.
I'm sure we all remember those few, brief years when CDs came in the long, rectangular boxes that did sometimes have cool stuff. From what I recall, it was the environmentalist movement that ended that and resigned CDs to what they are today.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-12-2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those long rectangular boxes were primarily used as a means to discourage shoplifting. Not as easy to stick one of those things in your pockets.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2008 10:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The longboxes were also a way to still have a 12" tall package, and display CDs in LP bins.

All it takes is a good album if you want to sell a bunch. Mariah Carey moved 465,000 of her newest CD in the first weekend.

I would put together retail products with a lot of great value in them rather than just stick a $20 CD in a regular old jewel case.
I wish you and everyone else would stop griping about the CD prices.

(1) The retail price of CDs has NEVER been $20, all right? The high end list price at most labels right now is $18.98, not $20, and the Universal Music Group's releases (the largest company) usually have a list price of $13.98, not $20, and any respectable non-chain store will usually sell everything for at least a dollar or more off of the list price. You can buy just about anything you want from Amazon for $12 or less, or you can get it for under $10 on eBay within days of release if you shop carefully. Average prices are LOWER than they were a few years ago.

(2)A three-fold brochure in a plain jewel box? Have you not bought a CD in the last five years? There has been a lot of extra added value added to packages in recent times. DVDs full of videos, extra CDs of remixes, special types of packaging (Tool's AEnmia comes to mind). You might find anything from 12 to 20 pages of content, maybe on special paper, maybe a fold-out package like a mini album cover, maybe embossed. I recently bought the latest Sergio Mendes CD -- he's not exactly a huge seller, but his album came in a tri-fold digipak with a 24-page full color booklet, a second booklet with all the lyrics, and three bonus tracks.

Anyone with two brain cells knows that CD sales are down because of downloading. PERIOD. iTunes has sold in the BILLIONS of songs, so think how many billions or even trillions more are downloaded (stolen, that is) for free.

I used to sell lotsa LP records back in the day. I never heard anyone say "I'm getting this because of the cool gatefold cover and the enclosed poster!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: