Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » International 'phone calls. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: International 'phone calls.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2008 07:54 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do I have to dial before the Country code to make an international call from the US? is it just a '0', i.e. 044 20 XXX XXXX for London?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-08-2008 08:33 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can vary, depending on what company is servicing the phone you're making the call from.

If you're making the call from a hard-line, look at that company's phone directory. International dialing instructions are usually in the front of the book.

For cell phones or internet-based services (like Vonage), I'd call their operator or look at their web sites for instructions.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, since someone brought up international phone pranks, I've gotta link Ned (From Bubba the Love sponge) on here, since there isn't an upload sounds option.

I can remove this if its a problem. Just thought appropriate to the subject.

[ 05-08-2008, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-08-2008 08:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but there has been no mention of phone pranks here.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2008 09:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This explains it

In short:
1) Enter the IDD Prefix for the country you are physically located in
2) followed by the country code for the country you are calling to
3) followed by the phone number including any sort of area codes and what-not

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2008 09:28 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like 011 is what I need. Thanks, I'll try it in the morning.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2008 09:43 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here's the lazy way to figure it out

http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/

You just select the country you're calling from and to then click in the middle of the phone.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there is. Just have to be able to see the unseen. LoL Okay, no mention of prank calls, but the talk about international calling, remonded me of the prank I linked.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-08-2008 11:20 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, things sure have changed. Dialing a "0" before any number used to get you an operator.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2008 11:38 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want an operator you simply dial 0 followed by nothing.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-09-2008 12:11 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-09-2008 06:46 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
In short:
1) Enter the IDD Prefix for the country you are physically located in
2) followed by the country code for the country you are calling to
3) followed by the phone number including any sort of area codes and what-not.

But under 3, remove the leading zero from the area code of the local number. For example, to ring my office from within the UK, it's 0113 343 5853. From the US it would be 011 44 113 343 5853.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-09-2008 07:41 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the IDD prefix bit that I had the problem with, I wouldn't have guessed 011, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the hotel. It's working now.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-09-2008 09:09 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, what's there to be confused by? If you want to talk to an operator you simply hit the 0 and nothing else.

quote: Leo Enticknap
But under 3, remove the leading zero from the area code of the local number. For example, to ring my office from within the UK, it's 0113 343 5853. From the US it would be 011 44 113 343 5853.
That leading 0 isn't actually part of the area code. As the first link I gave pointed out, that 0 is the NDD prefix or the code you enter to call to a different city from within your country.

So you aren't actually adding anything; you're just not adding something in since it makes no sense to add in a code for making a call from within the UK since you obviously aren't calling from within the UK. And I think I over-explained that. [Smile]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-09-2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't asking how to dial an operator - simply stating if you did that in the not-so-distant past, you'd GET the operator (by virtue of pressing the zero as the first digit).

It goes without saying that dialing zero alone will get the operator.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: