Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Digital photography (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital photography
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2008 04:41 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've really been getting into photography lately. Specifically, concert photography. I have friends who are in bands here in Atlanta, and take photos of their shows all the time. But as you can imagine, shooting in the low-light bar atmosphere is very difficult at times. I played around with a friend's SLR camera yesterday, and I really loved it. I've been thinking of getting one for a while now, but there is sooo much research I need to do first. Especially on lenses! How do I interpret lens specifications to know whether a particular lens will do what I need it to do?

Any photography buffs out there know of any good resources for my research?

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-15-2008 09:01 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Shooting in low light situation with digital cameras is a lot more easier than film cameras and I do a lot of work commercially with existing light when I photograph fitness shows. Some of the newer professional models such as the Nikon D-300 allow you to shoot using speed as high as 1800 ISO with no trace of noise. I am still currently working with a D-200 model and is getting excellent results with it. Some of the newer lenses for SLR digital cameras have VR (Vibration Reduction) features and they are ideal for low level light photography and I highly recommend them.

-Claude

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-15-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like cinema lenses, photographic lenses have a speed (f/number) and a focal length. Faster lenses (lower f/number) are more expensive and are generally more useful for low-light situations than slower lenses. Zooms are generally slower than primes (fixed-focal length lenses).

I'm a film guy; for concerts in small/medium venues, I've had good results with a 35mm camera and a 50mm f/1.8 lens. A wider lens (35mm or 28mm, maybe) would also be useful. I've only really done B&W concert photography and I really like Tmax 3200 pushed to 6400 ASA for the purpose. It's grainy as hell, but the look "works" for this sort of subject matter.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-15-2008 11:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concert photography is very tricky. Since crowds can really get packed in tight there's a good chance you'll be stuck in one place for the entire shoot -unless you have a press pass, backstage access, etc.

If you're stuck shooting from one place you'll need a lens with the right balance of "reach" (zoom level or prime fixed focal length) and the right amount of speed -bigger aperture. As apertures get bigger your exposure times and ability to "stop action" (not get motion blur) is improved. The best, very fast lenses cost a hell of a lot of money. But bigger apertures also deliver lower depth of field and greater chance of missing proper focus. As focal lengths extend out to "tele" levels you'll need longer exposure times. Professional level D-SLR camera bodies can deliver much higher ISO speeds (like ISO 3200 and ISO 6400) and lower noise levels when operating at high ISO speeds. High ISO speed can counteract a long exposure time.

I wish I had about $20,000 or so to sink into even better camera bodies and even better lenses. I'm jealous of those fellows you see on the sidelines of NFL games with giant 400mm f2.8 lenses weighing 12 pounds.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2008 04:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No matter what you do go with Nikon for either film or digital. I went with the Canon EOS Rebel xti(because its lighter) and although it has some advantages in low light levels because of it's CMOS sensor the rest of the camera is a hunk of junk. You absolutely have to have the higher end "L" series Canon lenses to get any good glass at all!!! This is not true with Nikon lenses whose normally priced and even older lenses are far superior to Canon's similar priced present day optics. I will soon be getting rid of my EOS for a Nikon.

Mark

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're getting rid of it, would you like to sell it to me? Gotta start somewhere. [Big Grin]

Funny...I looked at my original post, and I did not mention it, but the Rebel XTI is the exact camera I'm looking at getting. Did you read my mind or something? I did notice how very expensive lenses for it are, but since I haven't looked at other cameras yet, I haven't priced other manufacturer's lenses. Yeah, not too crazy about paying as much as or more for a lens than the camera itself.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2008 01:36 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you buy any camera, go to a real camera store and test drive a number of models. I'd say try at least Nikon and Canon, Pentax is worth a look if you are just shooting recreationally. The most important aspect of the camera is ergonomics. Canon and Nikon are going to be trading the lead in tech for a thousand years to come, but one camera will just feel right in your hands. For me, Nikon makes the best camera, and I recommend the D80 very strongly for someone with a decent budget. As for lenses, do not overlook the third party manufacturers. Tamron makes very high quality optics, although the build quality is mediocre. Sigma makes good lenses with a solid build, although quality control is suspect of late.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2008 11:10 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I bought my Nikon D70 years ago I found Digital Photography Review to be very helpful in my decision - they have some good reviews and comparisons of many cameras.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-17-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Before you buy any camera, go to a real camera store and test drive a number of models.
Ya know... I did just that. Here in SLC we have a camera store called Pictureline that also has a rather large rental department. I tried out two different Canon's and one Nikon. I settled on the Canon because it was lighter and seemed to be as durable as the metal body cameras. Actually I have no doubt that it IS as durable... perhaps MORE durable! Again... my biggest gripe is the Canon glass. Unless you go into the higher priced "L" series the optics quality is simply appaling. Heck, I used to work for Canon back in the late 70's! They made great optics back then, even the 50mm 1.8 had good glass, just a crappy plastic helicoid. Not so today! I think they sink so much of the price of a lens into the cost of the ultrasonic crap and the servo focus stuff. Personally, I'd be much happier with an all manual digital camera. You say it CAN BE MANUAL. Sorry, its just not the same. Try focusing one of these crappy lenses(that I spent a ton of money on) manually sometime. What a joke! So far the only decent wide angle I've found is the 17 to 40mm F4. Not a very fast lens by any standard but oh man sharp as a tack. I've also tried the 16 to 35 f2.8 and its not near as sharp. Also, don't forget the conversion factor with this digital camera... its 1.6 times the longest and shortest focal length on the zoom!

Ken,
I'll sell my EOS and lenses but not till I can afford a full sized imager type digital camera. Probably early next year. I can guarantee you that it'll be a Nikon!

Another hint for you. Don't waste your time shooting JPEG's. LIke JOe says... "JPEG sucks beyond belief". Once you see and work with a RAW file you will never go back to jpeg except to distribute your photos. With what ever camera you go with be sure it'll shoot RAW files. You can batch convert what ever RAW files you shoot later on to JPEG. There are at least 50 reasons to shoot only RAW files!

Mark

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2008 09:51 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, your comments about manual focusing tell me you need to switch to Nikon ASAP. Not only are most decent autofocus Nikkor lenses of a high build quality, all Nikon bodies accept the vast majority of manual focus lenses. The only ones that will not mount are those referred to as "non-AI" ( aperture indexing), which were made pre-1977 and are easy to avoid. Granted, the camera obviously won't autofocus, and only the higher end models will meter light, but if you are looking for real manual focus, that is the way to go.

Also, regarding RAW vs. JPEG, if you absolutely must shoot JPEG, give the Fuji cameras a look. They accept Nikon lenses and flashes and produce the best JPEGs of any camera on the market. The biggest drawback is that the S5 still goes for ~$1700, and the other models can only be had used.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-17-2008 11:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most non-AI Nikon lenses can actually be converted to AI, but it usually isn't cost-effective to do the conversion. There are plenty of good AI and AIS lenses available at reasonable prices now.

The Nikon lens situation has become rather complicated; basically, it's as follows:

- non-AI manual focus lenses are basically not useful on most recent (1980-present) Nikon bodies, with the exception of the F2 and F3 (and maybe F4)

- AI and AIS lenses will work on all Nikons, but won't meter with the newer consumer-type bodies; there is some distinction between AI and AIS that I don't remember, but it's irrelevant to most bodies

- AF lenses will work on all bodies, but will only autofocus on autofocus bodies

- G-type lenses do not have an aperture ring and are basically useless on older (pre-autofocus) bodies

- DX-type lenses only have enough coverage for the smaller digital sensors and are basically useless on film cameras

There is more to it than this, but the F-mount situation has become somewhat fragmented over time.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2008 12:31 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are at least 50 reasons to shoot only RAW files!
Such as?

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2008 06:22 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, not to hijack this thread into a discussion of Nikon glass, but I'd like to add to what you've said.

Firstly, non-AI lenses can be converted to AI'd at home for free, if you own jeweler's screwdrivers and a file. So, it is cost effective if you already have the lens or want some specialty lens, but since such old optics perform very poorly on digital cameras, trying to save money by buying and converting them is foolhardy. Also, non-AI lenses can be safely mounted to the F2, F3, F4, FM, and FT3 off the top of my head.

Nextly, the only difference between AI and AI-s lenses is if you have an FA, which is an expensive and relatively unreliable, albeit historically significant manual focus film body.

Also, in response to what Ken said a few posts back, I feel it is imperative to spend more on the lens than most consumer cameras cost. The camera will be obsolete in a couple of years, whereas the lens may not be for decades. Also, the lens has more to do with the quality of the final image than modern bodies, since the sensors are very good for the most part. Do you have Schneiders and Iscos, or crap Chinese lenses on your projectors? Why?

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2008 12:25 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, for those of you that have done some looking, what is a good entry-level digital SLR?

The Canon's have a lot of mindshare in the public, and I have to admit that I've been so happy with my PowerShot G2 that I'd gravitate to the Xsi almost immediately.

My brother does portrait photography and loves his Fuji S2, which uses Nikon lenses, if I recall correctly.

I remember doing some looking into the lower-end Nikon's and I seem to remember that the lowest-price ones lacked something that seemed like it would be a necessary feature. Maybe the auto-focus drive post for so-equipped lenses? I'm going to have to go back to DPReview and check that out again...

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been using RAW as much as I should. I'd almost forgotten that I could shoot RAW stuff on my camera. I can think of a lot of pictures that would have been better with the after-the-fact processing available in RAW.

Here are some links that explain the advantages.

http://www.dlcphoto.com/RawFormatWorkflow/RawFormatHomePage.htm#anchor341628

http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2006/10/why-shoot-raw.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

http://photo.net/learn/raw/

...It seems to me that RAW would be very useful in your low-light shooting conditions. How skilled are you with Photoshop? If the answer is "not much" then start practicing now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: