Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Axel Foley is back...! (!)

Author Topic: Axel Foley is back...! (!)
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-29-2008 10:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie Murphy to reprise Beverly Hills Cop
Story
----------------------------

If Indiana Jones can make a successful comeback after almost 20 years, why not the Beverly Hills cop?

Paramount Pictures has given the go-ahead for a fourth installment of its Beverly Hills Cop franchise, with Eddie Murphy on board to return to the role that launched his movie career, the studio said on Thursday.

Brett Ratner, the filmmaker behind the similarly themed Rush Hour movies starring Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan, is in negotiations to direct the latest Beverly Hills Cop adventure, a Paramount spokesman said.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Transformers) will produce.

The film is expected to begin filming next year for a summer 2010 release.

According to Daily Variety, it was Murphy, 47, who approached the Viacom Inc-owned studio about reviving the film series in which he plays a Detroit police detective, Axel Foley, who ends up chasing crooks in Beverly Hills, California.

The original 1984 film and its two sequels, the last of which opened in 1994, collectively grossed more than $US735 ($769) million in cinemas worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo. The first movie alone took in over $US316 million globally.

The decision to make Beverly Hills Cop IV follows Paramount's success with the revival of its Indiana Jones franchise after 19 years. The fourth film in that series, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, opened last Thursday and grossed nearly $US152 ($159) million in its first five days in US release.

Murphy's last two films, the live-action comedy Norbit and the animated storybook satire Shrek the Third, in which he supplied the voice of a talking donkey, grossed $159 million and $799 million worldwide, respectively, according to Box Office Mojo.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-30-2008 01:27 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehhh... it's not ringin' a bell. [Razz]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 05:55 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really seems like for every new movie there is a remake or a sequel these days. I haven't decided if thats good or bad. Moot post I suppose. [Cool]

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 08:26 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just sad that the stars who used to be big draws, who used to be worth the salaries they were receiving, can't find better work than this. Eddie Murphy's movies used to make tons of money. But, looking back, can you really name one of them that has aged well? Do you ask yourself why we ever liked any of those movies?

Harrison Ford, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Eddie Murphy... who's next? Name someone who 1) used to be huge, 2) hasn't had a hit lately to justify his still-big salary demands and 3) has an old franchise that could be revived (although most fans would scream, "No! Leave it alone!"). Now imagine that same person, on the set, shooting yet another sequel and see the look on his face that says, "I'm too old for this. Nobody's gonna buy this rubbish."

How about another Austin Powers movie? Oh, wait! There is one! I half-expect the ending of The Love Guru to include a Mission:Impossible moment where he pulls off his mask.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-30-2008 08:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ford, Stallone and Willis can all act, have proven themselves reasonably versatile in a range of roles and have aged quite well. Eddie Murphy was a one card trick - we all used to try and sneak in to see his films, or hire VHS tapes of them (i.e. when well under 18), purely for the thrill of hearing him utter the f-word repeatedly. For a 13 year-old male that's a draw in itself, but we soon got bored of it! I suppose there may be a new generation of teenagers who'll take to him again. How if they'd hired Tarantino to direct...

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 09:01 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There certainly is a lack of fresh, innovative ideas with the Hollywood writers recently. Maybe when they went on strike they should have just booted all of their asses and gotten new writers. Everytime I have watched a movie the past two years I find out later it is a remake. What the hell? Are there no new ideas anymore or have they gotten so lazy that it's just easier to rehash an old film and make the money from it. They are so concerned with the money aspect that the art is now gone. Gone from the theaters and projectionist showmanship and gone from the films themselves. I hardly watch movies at all anymore because they all bore me to death. The last one I saw, "I Am Legend", was a big disappointment. I think I would rather watch paint dry than watch that again. [thumbsdown]

The good news is that I haven't seen a lot of the older classic movies and I can start renting them when I go to Blockbuster. Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, etc.... They should entertain me for a few years.

I will probably watch the newest Indiana Jones but I am going to keep my expectations low so I am not so disappointed. However a geriatric archeologist running around with a whip is kind of sad. [Roll Eyes]

I did like Eddie Murphy in Shrek and I think he stole the show from Mike Myers. Donkey is the funniest part of those films in my opinion.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 09:33 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I am waiting for someone to announce "Basic Instinct III" wherein Sharon Stone retires to a senior center and begins killing off the residents for their money after sleeping with them. Maybe they could even shoot it in Meadville Pennsylvania.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2008 10:07 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Ford, Stallone and Willis can all act, have proven themselves reasonably versatile in a range of roles and have aged quite well. Eddie Murphy was a one card trick
To be fair to Murphy, while I agree that he has become stale in the last 10 years, I did think he was great in Dreamgirls. It did demonstrate that he has versatility but chooses to make rubbish like Norbit.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-30-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind seeing another Beverly Hills Cop movie, if they would follow these guidelines:

1. It has to be as funny as the first one
2. It has to have a good story, like the first one did
3. Eddie Murphy is only allowed to play ONE role
4. They have to get Judge Reinhold back
5. It has to be rated R...no PG-13 wimp-out allowed

NOTE: If Murphy insists on playing two roles, they could team him up with Reggie Hammond (his character from 48 Hrs).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-30-2008 02:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Shane Cooper
To be fair to Murphy, while I agree that he has become stale in the last 10 years, I did think he was great in Dreamgirls. It did demonstrate that he has versatility but chooses to make rubbish like Norbit.
Point taken, and he did put in a serious and convincing performance in Trading Places, which I'd forgotten about until this thread. I think my earlier post was prompted by memories of the Beverly Hills Cop franchise, which hit the cinemas and the video rental shops (which were quite a novelty in Britain at the time) when I was a teenager and first starting to take an interest in films. It was considered the height of cool to have got in to see one (or to have successfully managed to hire a tape, despite the age restriction). But about 3-4 years ago, one of the Beverly Hills Cop films was shown as a Northwest Airlines in-flight movie, and I was scratching my head, wondering why I thought it was remotely funny the first time round.

But there again, there are comedians I admire, while friends and relatives whose judgments normally click with mine can't stand them (in particular, if I suggest watching a Will Hay DVD, people tend to suddenly find other things they need to be doing that evening!). It's a personal taste thing, I guess.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-30-2008 04:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie Murphy = YAWN

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-03-2008 09:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[sleep]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2008 09:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. We can hear Faltermeyer's "Axel F" theme again.

If they can bring back Williams for his "Indy's Theme", why not Faltermeyer's?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: