Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Vocoder Software

Author Topic: Vocoder Software
Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2008 07:07 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know a good vocoder software for the PC? I like the way the intro and outtro speech sound from the original Disneyland version of "Main Street Electrical Parade", which I'm told was done with a Bode 7702 analog vocoder. It has a nice grainy sound, but still quite understandable, and good musical qualities. So I'm thinking something similar, but in software. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know of anything for the PC, but I've always used Vocalwriter for the Mac. It's great for MIDI composition, but it can sing fake vocals as well, like the dreaded "AMC Sucks" song of yore.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it isn't cheap, but Adobe Audition does it pretty well. This, of course, would be an effect applied to a pair of files (instrument and voice) after recording.

I just tried it for the first time to see how well it worked, and it sounds good.

You didn't mention your intended end use ... Maybe you could find a way to qualify for an academic price, someplace like academicsuperstore.com ?? That's where I got my copy, which my high-schooler uses. Mostly.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-04-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WAREZ!!

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Wayne Keyser
would be an effect applied to a pair of files (instrument and voice) after recording
Yes. I found one, but it only does live input, and results in totally unintelligible speech no matter what you have it set to, though that may be my mic as well. Mu end use would be just to fool around with. First project would be a new voicemail greeting. LoL Right now I have one done on SAM for the C64. Sounds nice and computery, good old 8-bit text to speech software. But I've been told its a tad difficult to understand. So I think a vocoder would acheive a nice computery sound, while still allowing for it to be understandable, and sound really cool.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think this is what your looking for but if anyone is looking for a program that is comparable to Adobe Audition but is FREE you should check out "Audacity" It is very very fast, very very stable, it gives you unlimited multi-track recording and editing, and a lot of effects and import/export options. I love this program I use it for all my production work at the radio station. Did I mention it is FREE? And has GREAT documentation to boot?

Download Audacity ver 1.2.6 (final) or 1.3.5 (beta) For Windows, Mac OS, and Linux Here!

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 02:29 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Audacity is nice and all... but... I went with Audition because I wanted to do a bunch of fancy, multi-channel mixing too. I tried to use a "free" mixing software option from some Austrailian company but it turned out to be a 30-day trial instead of free. [thumbsdown] That education version of Audition provides a really comfortable discount, by the way.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can mix as many tracks as you want in Audacity. I often create projects with 15 or more tracks.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-07-2008 08:19 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many channels will it output?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2008 10:14 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive the only limitation is the limitation of your soundcard.

You can also export your "projects" to WAV, AIFF, MP2, MP3, OGG Vorbis, and FLAC files. There are a lot of different bit rate options as well. Obviously when you export into a compressed or uncompressed format file it will mix down your project into 2 stereo tracks. If you save it as an Audacity project it will save it in as many tracks as you have. I beleive you can also export into external programs or plug-ins if you are looking to do 5.1, or 8 channels or 156 channels.

Another good thing about this program is anytime you do anything it writes the changes so if you crash the computer you wont lose a thing. It also saves every command you do in a seperate file so that you have unlimited "UNDO" capability. You can also configure the program to copy over all the audio from other files or to simply reference the other files and only copy over portions you change to save hard disk space. I prefer to have everything copied over into the project because if you move or delete an outside file (an mp3 or whatever) then youre screwed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: