Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone had a Endoscopy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Anyone had a Endoscopy
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 01:57 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just had a recent medical due to poor health lately
The cause has turned out to be anemia as a result of internal bleeding.

Monday I am being sent to the city for an Endoscopy and colonoscopy. Not looking forward to this. I am keen to here from anyone that has endured this exam.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-05-2008 03:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, if you're over 50, it's best to have a colonscopy esp.if cancer runs in your family. It's the best exam to have.

Endos and related scopys are required for any G.I.tract exams.

I had my colonoscopy done 3 yrs ago and they found 2 polyps-small ones-and the colonscope tool cut them out, was sent to biopsy for cancer tests (I've had two cases of cancer..) and these were not cancerous.

Prior to the colon (and prob the Endo) test, a 12 hr fasting regimen (laxatives and total watery liquid diets are required by your G.I. doctor - you're living in the WC most of the night) is taken - meaning you'll need to be cleaned out completely so the (colon)scopes can see all what's inside.

Only nice thing about having any scopys is that you're heavilly sedated (they don't want you out completely and some are awake enough to witness what is going on being presented on the monitors) so the discomfort of having that long black "snake" being the endoscope going into you isn't totally experienced, even though with my exam, when the "snake" wanted to make the turn, it poked hard into the bend of the colon and it suddenly woke me up like my appendix exploded - but I fell asleep shortly after the sharp pain left my side.

Not a fun test to have, but a necessary one for us that are approaching the age of risk.

Good luck with this and hope that you'll be okey.

-Monte

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 05:35 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, good. That means I have 21 more years to be scope free. I got a message for that thing. [fu]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, good preventative medicine. You'll do fine as they give you drugs to put you nearly to sleep. The worst thing about the procedure is the prep. the night before. Good luck, I know you'll be fine.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 06:28 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no prep required for the gastric endoscopy. I had one last month after upper GI showed some abrasions. Results were normal so that's one less thing to worry about. I've had routine colos since passing age 50. As stated earlier, the worst part is the prep. During each procedure you'll be sedated enough that you won't even know what happened. Good luck.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2008 06:53 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Endoscopy is a very easy procedure. I've had a number of them due to some severe hiatal hernia issues (now all repaired!). With the medicine they give you, you just don't remember anything. It is painless and you will walk out feeling fine. Do have someone drive you though, in case the medicine comes on a a bit too strong.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-05-2008 11:02 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be pedantic, you should change the title to say "gastrointestinal endoscopy." An endoscopy just refers to looking inside the body using a camera (and endoscope). Visually inspecting, say the lungs, would be a pulmonary endoscopy.

[/nerd]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-05-2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pretty routine exam these days Phil. No worries. [beer]

Not to put the scare into Phil or anyone else, but get a load of what's been happening here since about the first of the year. The local press is all over it, but there hasn't been much mention of it outside the state. "What happens in 'Vegas stays in 'Vegas" right?

Several endoscopy clinics here (all owned by the same group of apparently third-world doctors) have been shut down due to poor medical practices like reusing single-use syringes and medicine vials, resulting in months-long waits for exams at the remaining handful of open clinics.

So far a total of 60,000 current and former patients of these clinics have had to be examined for hepatitus B and C and AIDS. And so far out of the 80 or so preliminary hits, eight new cases of hep C have been confirmed to have originated at these clinics. My barber was one of the ones called in for testing - fortunately she tested out just fine.

[rant]

What's disturbing is that the state board of medical examiners has refused to do much about the situation, since some of the members have business ties to these clinics and their owners. Instead the shutdowns have been carried out by city business licensing departments or the county health district.

All of this shouldn't mean much to the tourists though. After all, what happens in 'Vegas stays in 'Vegas, right? At least as long as none of these patients are cooking your meal or serving your food or busing your table or mixing your drinks (not all former patients have been identified yet - the 40,000 number initially reported just went to 60,000 - the slow pace due to medical records being seized by the police for possible criminal prosecutions).

Nevada has always been known for having the best government money can buy.

[/rant] Whew! Back on my meds now.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-05-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, this puts my -ss on TV, right? Louis

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-05-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Basically, this puts my -ss on TV, right?
Now, THERE'S some 'alternative content' for your [dlp] big screens!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-05-2008 11:13 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pass. Sorry and no offense, but I'm not paying to see that "alternative content." [Moon] [Smile]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2008 08:24 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had an endoscopy done a month or so ago because I have acid reflux and they wanted to make sure there was no esophageal cancer. I told them that I gag very easily. They said I would be in "twilight" and wouldn't feel a thing. BS! [bs]

I woke up several times gagging and dry heaving on that probe they had down my throat. They kept telling me to relax but that thing kept tickling my stomach and I kept feeling it touch my esophagus. I'm glad most people on here had no problems but I won't be doing that again anytime soon. [puke]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-06-2008 08:50 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the guy who did the anesthesia sucked.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2008 09:00 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the input guys , I am apparently suffering from alot of internal blood loss so i guess the important issue is not so much the exam but what the cause is.
anyway i now have a good idea of what to expect on the day now, just very worried about what they might find, in situations like this we alway seem to think the worst, now sure if i should book the flowers or order the coffin first.

thanks everyone for their input

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An endoscopy is no sweat- - assuming they sedate you enough.
Same goes for a colonoscopy. (I've had both)
I'm not sure what drugs they use, but whatever it was, I had almost no memory of the proceedure afterwards.

What I < DO > remember though was just before they gave me one of the shots that knocked me out someone said "You're going to feel a small prick"
AGGAGHHHHAH! - That's not a phrase you want to hear when someone is poking around that part of your anatomy!

As other people here have pointed out - - the worst thing about a c-oscopy is not the proceedure itself, but the "prep" you must endure the evening before.

(For those who don't know- - the prep basically involves force-feeding yourself over a gallon (yes, a GALLON!) of very nasty tasting laxative over a 2 or 3 hour period and the resulting consequences thereof. )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: