Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cell phones and PDAs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cell phones and PDAs
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2008 12:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a new phone. I have decided to give in and get a phone that has email and internet on it, but a requirement for me is a qwerty keyboard and a phone that isn't too bulky. I prefer a slide out keyboard for this purpose. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on what I have found here? I am on Cingular and have no plans to change.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 Yes I hate Sony, but this phone does look to have everything I am interested in. Well, I am not too interested in the price, but still. This is supposed to be available 3rd quarter 2008.

Glofiish M800 This phone looks very nice and has an attractive price tag too. However it has touch sensitive buttons on the outside and reviews claim you can accidentally kill phone calls and such, so that looks like a major downside.

Glofiish M700 This is their last version of that phone which doesn't have those problems.

Asus M930W This one may work well.

My biggest problem is that with the exception of the Glofiish units, these aren't even available yet and I haven't seen anything else that strikes my interest. Suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-07-2008 01:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You NEED an Apple iPhone. It is ONLY compatible with Cingular and as a bonus it is hyper-trendy. This will enable others to think that you are cool. It has no buttons and no cover. My boss has one and he loves it. A tad bit overkill for me. The internet is supposedly really slow, but I hear that is a Cingular problem. You can even load MP3s on it and listen to Depeche Mode! It also allows you to watch high quality video that you download directly from the iStore or whatever it is called. YEAH! I think the iPhone only costs $600 or so now. C'mon man, be trendy.

Also, according to the bills I get from Cingular, they are now called The New AT&T. I guess the old AT&T must have sucked big time if they have to add "The New" as part of their official company name.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2008 01:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I should've mentioned I do not want any iproducts. I am not saying they are bad, just that I am sick of the superiority attitude from all the hardcore emo kids that are in love with Apple stuff. They make me not want to buy another iproduct again.

I listed a SONY product Joe. Isn't that taking things far enough? [Razz]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2008 01:56 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a new BulkBerry?

New AT&T is far too sweet, i'm going to wait for AT&T II and Classic AT&T... too subtle?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-07-2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but you need an iPhone if you want to get invited to hoity-toity things like art museum exhibit openings. Also, don't you wanna be like the Mac Guy? He is way cool. Maybe you can even be in a Die Hard movie.

Also, what happens when I e-mail you a 50MB file to your phone? How angry will you be on a scale of 1-10? Because you know I will just to see how the phone handles it.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-07-2008 03:44 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently went to a Blackberry. I was looking for a slider type with a QWERTY keyboard, but I just wasn't happy with the available choices. The Blackberry Curve is surprisingly small. I was using a Motorola Pebl before. The Curve is only about 1/2" wider and about 3/4" longer, but it's thinner. I really like the trackball navigation.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client and I have the Lightning calendar add-on. I set up a Google Calendar and then installed the related app on my BlackBerry. So whether I add an event/appointment from home, work, or the BlackBerry, they are all synced automatically.

I also have a 2GB memory card which allowed me to put on well over 200 songs. The media player is surprisingly good and the speaker on the phone is more than adequate for playing songs in the office or the car and the sound quality is pretty good. The only negative is playing songs will drain your battery in no time.

The camera has a very bright LED flash and is more than adequate for taking quick snaps, but it's not good enough to cause you to ditch your digital camera. There is supposed to be an update in testing that will allow you to capture video.

I have always been reluctant to go with a BlackBerry, but I've had nothing but a positive experience in the 2 months I've been using it.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2008 04:07 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New AT&T? I wish they would go back to the old AT&T.

I tried their TILT phone earlier a couple months ago, and it was a piece of crap as well as too big and bulky. About the same size as Apple's, with a touch screen. It has Windows Mobile software which locked up on me a few times.

The qwerty keyboard was awkward for me to use. I'm used to texting with the number keys.

Sorry, no experience with the models you are looking at. I've never had any problems with Sony products. Had a cool Sony phone that I bought in China a couple of years ago that I just recently saw at the AT&T store. My daughter and niece have the Sony Walkman phone and the only complaint from my niece is that the keys are starting to get cracks in them.

Rick

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-07-2008 05:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont forget AT&T Zero and AT&T Lite! LOuis

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-07-2008 09:18 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with the Sony if I had the money (despite hating the brand as well). It's got all the things you were asking for plus if the iphone people try acting like they're better for using Apple, just start playing a video and have them shut up, unable to compete with the higher resolution screen.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-07-2008 09:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
This is supposed to be available 3rd quarter 2008.
So it's already obsolete then. You probably want to get something that's available 2nd quarter 2012. Then it won't be obsolete until Christmas 2011. [Big Grin]

(Sorry, watched some Green Acres last night and I'm channeling Hank Kimball)

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I know a lot of people who use the blackberry simply as a pda/internet/email and still retain thier old phone just to use as a phone. I dont know about the "NEW AT&T" but Verizon will let you do that for an extra fifteen dollars a month. All your phone calls go to your regular phone and the blackberry gets all the email, and internet stuff.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-07-2008 10:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I will not carry 2 devices. That's crazy talk.

Second, most PDAs are designed similar to this. I hate this design.  -

I want something more along these lines with a sliding keyboard so it doesn't take up as much space in my pockets, yet still provides me with a USABLE keyboard.

-

BTW, here is the link for the HTC Touch Pro pictured above.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-07-2008 11:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the variety of phones carried by AT&T is one of the provider's biggest short-comings. It seems like Verizon and Sprint both have much better phone selections. One of my friends is with Sprint and just got a new Palm Centro. Pretty nice phone.

Edit: it turns out AT&T is now offering the Palm Centro as well. The listing doesn't have the cool "3G" fireball next to it, meaning it may not operate over AT&T's network as fast as something like Samsung's Blackjack II.

AT&T does have at least a couple of phones with slide out full keyboards, the AT&T Tilt and Pantech Duo. The Tilt phone costs a lot $299, after a $100 rebate -and that's a 2 year contract price. But it connects to Wi-Fi networks, has a 3 megapixel camera, MicroSD slot and lots of other stuff.

AT&T keeps sending me offers to upgrade my phone (a Samsung SGH-D801 slider model). Until they get more serious about the quality of their range of phones, not to mention get their 3G coverage into more places, I'm going to just keep what I have or perhaps consider switching to another service. With prices on so many things rising, I may just shit can the cell phone completely in a couple of months when my contract expires.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-07-2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw what AT&T says. Just buy the phone you want unlocked from Europe and throw your SIM card in it. Yes, you'll pay a lot more, because AT&T won't subsidize your phone, but for me it's more important to have the phone thats most comfortable, since it will be used several times every day. The HTC Pro looks pretty cool. I also like the Nokia N95, but it lacks the keyboard you require.

All of AT&T's phones will be 3G within a few months according to their president .

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-07-2008 02:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe all of AT&T's phones will eventually be 3G and even some will be 4G. However the company has been very slow in spreading its 3G coverage. Here in Oklahoma only portions of Oklahoma City and Tulsa are currently covered.

I don't know exactly how the networks from rivals like Verizon and Sprint stack up against AT&T, but it sure seems like they're way ahead of AT&T at least in terms of how they spin it in their marketing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: