Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Paul Newman suffering from cancer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Paul Newman suffering from cancer
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-10-2008 12:26 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ridiculously long link that refused to be editable removed from www.thisislondon.uk

quote:
Ailing Paul Newman 'suffering from lung cancer'
Last updated at 16:19pm on 08.06.08

Add your view

Film legend Paul Newman is suffering from lung cancer, according to U.S. magazine reports.

The Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid actor, 83, has been suffering from ill health for many months and in May was forced to pull out of directing a production of John Steinbeck's Of Mice And Men.

Two U.S. publications quote friends of the actor saying the former chain-smoker has been diagnosed with lung cancer at the New York’s Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, a few hours drive from his Connecticut home, where he lives his wife Joanne Woodward.
Paul Newman Connecticut state legislature's Judiciary Committee in Hartford Conn March 21, 2007

Ailing: Acting legend Paul Newman is reportedly suffering from lung cancer

A friend of the actor told the National Enquirer: 'We have known he is seriously ill for several weeks but his loved ones are being very protective and saying very little.'

Newman has denied previous cancer reports in March after he missed a fundraising event for his Hole in The Wall Gang children's charity.

The same month, he cancelled an appearance on U.S. talk show The Late Show With David Letterman.

His spokesperson played down his hospitalisation, insisting Newman was 'being treated for athlete’s foot and hair loss'.

A cancer patient was quoted in the New York Post newspaper in March that he had seen Newman at the oncologists regularly.

He said: 'He's been there a lot, he's even worked out in the waiting room, doing the squat thrusts. Last time, he was in there he had a long beard. (His wife) Joanne Woodward is there waiting for him and being very sweet with the assistants.'

Newman retired from acting last year, blaming his failing memory.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2008 01:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's still alive?

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2008 03:13 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where have you been lately Joe, locked in a booth? Yes Paul is still alive. But I'm afraid he may not be for long. He's always been one of my favorites and is one of the most charitable actors around. He's a very private man (unlike the current crop of actors you can read about in any scandal rag) who has been married to Joanne for more than 40 years (something that current crop doesn't seem to believe in). He also has a line of salad dressings and cookies ("Newman's Own") you'll find in most grocery stores and he gives all the proceeds to charity.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-10-2008 03:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think everybody over 50 is dead to Joe, unless they're famous...then it's everybody over 40.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-10-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love Paul Newman's salsa and various salad dressings! Good stuff.

Sorry to hear about this turn of events, though.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2008 04:14 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the classy actors.... they're dropping like flies [Frown] Perhaps he should do a PSA like Yul Brynner, apparently Newman was a chainsmoker.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2008 04:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely hate salad so I have no reason to keep tabs on him. I don't think he has been in a movie since before I was born.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-10-2008 05:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Newman movies since Joe was born (approximately)

Cars (2006) (voice) .... Doc Hudson
Where the Money Is (2000) .... Henry Manning
Message in a Bottle (1999) .... Dodge Blake
Twilight (1998) .... Harry Ross
Nobody's Fool (1994) .... Sully Sullivan
The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) .... Sidney J. Mussburger
Mr. & Mrs. Bridge (1990) .... Walter Bridge
Blaze (1989) .... Gov. Earl K. Long
Fat Man and Little Boy (1989) .... Gen. Leslie R. Groves
The Color of Money (1986) .... Fast Eddie Felson
Harry & Son (1984) .... Harry Keach
The Verdict (1982) .... Frank Galvin
Absence of Malice (1981) .... Michael Colin Gallagher
Fort Apache the Bronx (1981) .... Murphy
When Time Ran Out... (1980) .... Hank Anderson

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-10-2008 05:32 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
While not one of my favorite actors, I did like him in:

Fat Man and Little Boy
Harry & Son
...Hmmm, but mostly cuz Robby Benson is sooo cute!
The Towering Inferno
The Sting
...my favorite of his.
Cool Hand Luke
The Hustler

The rest of his films suck like his salad dressings! (Sorry Tim) HA!

Edit: I just opened a fortune cookie I got at lunch. It said: "YOU HAVE A CHARMING WAY WITH WORDS"

Obviously, Buddha and the gods know me well. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-10-2008 06:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Paul Newman movies since Joe was born (approximately)
Wow, he's been in a lot of no-name movies I've never heard of! And I HATED "Cars".

I think I did see part of Hudsucker Proxy on TV in Spanish. Isn't that with Tim Robbins who goes from a low level employee then he murders Paul Newman and gets the top position or something? That looked weird and unentertaining.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2008 09:44 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad news. He's a great actor and a better person.

Mike, it seems your listis missing one of his better recent films: "Road to Perdition"

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 04:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Sting" (1973) deserved every bit of the awards it won. It was great to see Newman and Redford team up again in that movie.

Lucas Tanner: "I was cuttin heads off of parking meters, cap'n"

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked on Harry and Son. Paul Newman is truly a humble and remarkable person.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-11-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow, he's been in a lot of no-name movies I've never heard of!
It is true that most of his best-known work was pre-1985. I thought he did a great job in "The Towering Inferno" (1974)

You kids today are at a disadvantage...there are SO many really good movies from the past that there's not enough time to see them all and still lead a productive life.

I'm not sure why "Road to Perdition" isn't on the list - I might have accidentally cut it out when I was editing the TV material out of the list.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-11-2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, c'mon, guys... BUTCH CASSIDY and the SUNDANCE KID!!

Btw, Richard... what did you do on "Harry and Son"? Did you get screen credit? [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: