Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 'Digital' - the magic word (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 'Digital' - the magic word
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How come the word 'digital' is now invested with such seemingly magical properties? Lift up a magazine or newspaper, turn on the TV and everything is 'digital'.

The latest gadget I saw being advertised was a device to provide 'digital pain relief' - basically a TENS machine with a digital display! For those who don't know, TENS is a system which provides small electrical stimulation (via stick-on electrodes) to various muscle groups. It can prove beneficial as a means of pain relief (and used in childbirth etc).

I understand that most neuro-scientists and psychologists now conclude that human and animal brains involve a system of on/off electrochemical switching to store information. Does this mean that I can now describe myself as 'super digital'? If so, I must have one hell of a good feckin sampling rate!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-19-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go back 30 or so years and look up "Solid State."

Steve

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-19-2008 08:42 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw digital hand cleaner a couple weeks ago, not an inaccurate description. Digital definition from a dictionary from the mid
'70s or earlier will generally describe things pertaining to the hands or fingers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-19-2008 10:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Look! It's a digital word processor!

-

Basically the word "digital" has been lowered to nothing more than a buzzword anymore.

You could put a pile of dog doo in a box and slap a label that says, "Digital!" on it. People would still buy it and think they got a bargain for it at twice the price.

But... but... It's DIGITAL Doo-Doo!

[Big Grin]

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2008 01:30 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital calculator!

-

Just noticed that Hornby model railways are now digital!

Apparently, you now apply constant voltage to the track and each locomotive has an individual I.D which can be called-up from the controller and subsequently addressed. Gone are the days of nice big chunky transformers.

Now, when I was a boy!!!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we bought our house... our realtor made the point by stating that the new water heater was "all digital". [Roll Eyes]

How a water heater could be digital is beyong me. It just heats water.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came across a 'digital food mixer' in a catalogue the other day! Actually, it had a LED display of the speed settings!!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-21-2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Frodsham
Just noticed that Hornby model railways are now digital!

Apparently, you now apply constant voltage to the track and each locomotive has an individual I.D which can be called-up from the controller and subsequently addressed. Gone are the days of nice big chunky transformers.

I'm not sure if that system debuted on HO model trains first or not, but Lionel introduced it for the O gauge market in the mid '90s. It's very cool.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2008 09:36 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend has an HO model railroad that run DCC. It's pretty cool. Multiple engine on the same ciruit of track can be controlled seperately. I designed a circuit to take the switching track signals to allow the system to control a roundhouse turntable. The system will allow a loco to roll on to the turntable, stop, will rotate the table to the proper bay, and then the loco will back into it's stall. The design uses the DCC's ability to automate track switching and trafficing of the locos. The acutal turnable circuitry is simple. I'll see if I can find the electronics workbench file I made it on.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 04:47 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I remember seeing a ton of old electronics that had the words "Solid State" on them. What exactly makes something solid state? Vacuum Tubes could be considered solid state by today's standards due to the fact that they don't have moving electronic components.

One of these devices was a TV. How do you not make a TV solid state? Before solid state tv's were there crank models, or were motors involved in making the picture?

Is digital the new "Solid State". Does every consumer device now have to be labeled digital in order to be appealing to the masses? [Wink]

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 09:38 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solid state electronics use only fixed, solid materials (metals and semiconductors) that electrons flow through with the various properties required to create circuits. A vacuum tube uses thermionic emission to propel electrons through a vacuum and relays use electromagnets and moving switch contacts, so they're not solid state.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-22-2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
How do you not make a TV solid state?
Trstian,
My 1946 RCA 721TS has 34 vaccum toobes in it. All of them including the CRT rely on thermionic emission. This emission nor the toobes could hardly be considered "solid state" as the emission doesn't last for ever. The emission eventually declines with use and then drops below a usable level causing the toobe to stop functioning. On the other hand solid state devices do not exhibit this gradual drop off of function. Also, a semiconductor is essentially a "solid" piece of silicon thats been doped a certain way to make it conduct in a certain manner.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was selling electronics, to the consumer "solid state" basically just meant it had no tubes in it. The big advantage was you didn't have to wait for it to "warm up" - a radio would come on instantly.

Seems kind of funny that now people think waiting for a high def DVD to "load" for a minute or more is no big deal. People in the '70s would never have put up with that! [Big Grin]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-22-2008 11:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People will sing a different tune when players are out there that have no load time.

Though I think your assessment is slightly off... a guy I hung out with in college told a story to me about how his dad helped build some bank company's first centralized network back in the 70's. They were getting the peculiar result that pretty much every time someone checked a user's balance, they'd do it again 2 or 3 times. He coded in a 3 second delay for all requests... and people stopped checking the balance. Apparently, if it answered too quickly they'd say to themselves "It COULDN'T have done it THAT fast!"

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 04:52 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BRING BACK FILM-TECH DIGITAL!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: