Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Linksys sucks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Linksys sucks
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-19-2008 06:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, I have gone through 4 Linksys wireless routers in the last year. The last one I purchased 3-4 months ago and it was their high end "N Ultra range plus" model WRT-310N and already it is dying, forcing me to reboot the damn thing every day.

Does Linksys just suck, or could I be doing something on my end with a configuration?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-19-2008 07:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check for a firmware update (if you haven't already). Those types of devices are typically shipped buggy and only marginally reliable until they've been in production for a relatively long time. Let the consumers be the beta testers. [Mad]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-19-2008 07:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 routers in a year sounds pretty unusual.

Generally, I've had good luck with Linksys products However, I've never had any luck with the stupid software discs that come with those devices. They're supposed to make installation easier but instead the software either has serious problems or just doesn't work at all. I saw it when setting up a router at a friend's house and then just recently at my Aunt's house. I even had the same problem when installing a wireless game adapter for my HD satellite receiver.

The solution in every case was connecting via hard wire and logging into the router or game adapter itself and changing the device's internal settings. It's not as easy as some CD wizard, but the end result is far more reliable.

The software that came with my Aunt's router had all sorts of overblown crap to it that didn't work. It seemed to do more to prevent my Aunt's notebook from connecting with the router than help. I simply uninstalled all the Linksys software and set up the router the old fashioned way. Worked perfectly.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS router and a Linksys WGA600N game adapter. I've had the router for something like 3 or 4 years and haven't had any serious problems with it. I did have to update its firmware to get my 80GB Playstation 3 to connect to it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2008 07:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it's unusual. I've had a WRT54G for three years and until I needed to open several ports for my server it was fine. It didn't accommodate all the ports I needed so it sits on the shelf. I'd be happy to send it to you if you want it.

The "Home Router I bought and highly recommend is the Draytek Vigor 2820n You'd have to get into the Cisco routers before you'd find anything equivelent.

Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-19-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree; that's unusual. But awhile ago I got fed up with Linksys and changed to Netgear stuff, and I feel I've been better off.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2008 07:59 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad,

The NYC apartment I'm renting out for the month came with a Time Warner Cable Modem connected to a Netgear wireless router; guess what happened?

A week or so ago, the Netgear router just flaked out completely. This was confirmed by connecting the cable modem directly to my computer.

I purchased an Apple Time Capsule router/hard drive (which I'm going to be taking home when I'm done here) and now everything is stable again.

Wireless routers do tend to crap out, yes. Probably not as much as you're experiencing, though.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Father always has to replace the
darn thing every year due to lightning
storms!!!!! [Mad] [scream]

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2008 09:51 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Are you going thru AT&T by any chance?

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2008 12:59 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mind most of the Linksys hard wired gear, but I've had a lot of trouble with the wireless stuff. They seem OK to srart with, then just appear to get increasingly unpredictable (until they end-up failing more often than working).

I've had Linksys wireless routers at both home and work and they've both behaved the same way.

Overall, I have gone-off the manufacturer and tend to avoid them.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-20-2008 02:22 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had the best luck and reliability with Netgear...the WGT-624 series.

Tried the Linksys stuff but they have always failed for me after a few months.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2008 04:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
Are you going thru AT&T by any chance?
Why yes I am. What do you know that I don't?

quote: Andy Frodsham
Don't mind most of the Linksys hard wired gear, but I've had a lot of trouble with the wireless stuff. They seem OK to srart with, then just appear to get increasingly unpredictable (until they end-up failing more often than working).
Yup, that is EXACTLY the problem I continually have.

I had Netgear before, but had problems with them too. Today I bought an Apple Airport Extreme, so I will report back and see how that holds up.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-20-2008 05:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 (wired only). It has served me well for years, surprisingly. Every once in a long while it will need a reboot. Before this router, I went through two or three other Linksys's, each lasting about a year. This was to be my last one.

My friend Dave was having issues with his router a little over a year ago. I don't recall the brand. Anyway he replaced it with an Apple Airport. Not sure if it is the XtReM3 version or not (it doesn't have a spoiler or racing stripe on it). He has been very happy with it in both wired and wireless aspects.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2008 08:23 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Why yes I am. What do you know that I don't?

ha, well not really. We had AT&T at the store. 3 laptops, all Dell, were running through Linksys wireless router. It started off great, then litterly about every other day, we had issues. Had to reset it about two times a day. Our poor employee that actually knows what to do with computers had to work on it constantly. It got so bad that we had to cancel AT&T and get Insightbb.com. Fixed the problem.....until Insight got bought out by Comcast and now it acting up every so often again.

In no way shape or form can I link AT&T with your issue, but like I said, we've had issues with both as well. (though we've had the same router for the past year or so and have not had to replace it)

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2008 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I running a Linksys WRT54GL router that allows 3rd party software. I installed the freeware operating system DD-WRT and it has run flawlessly for over a year. This is great software, allowing for features not available on most routers.

You can go to the DD-WRT page for details on what routers it works with.

You need some tech skills with this, or you can brick the router.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Linksys wireless at home - it's been working fine for at least 4 years.

It fired up on my desktop PC with no problem but I had trouble getting it to work with my wife's laptop. I was on the phone with tech support for about an hour trying various things and it finally worked and has been fine since.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: