Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » George Carlin dead at 71 - RIP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: George Carlin dead at 71 - RIP
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-23-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Comedian George Carlin dies at 71

Anti-Establishment icon gained fame with his ‘Filthy Words’ routine

BREAKING NEWS
updated 9 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs and dirty words, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital Sunday, a spokesman said. He was was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart problems, died at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PT after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material, Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine about seven dirty words you could not say on television. A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of his "Filthy Words" routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

Copyright 2008 Reuters.

He sure gave me lots of laughs over the years starting with his "Hippy Dippy Weather Man" bit. RIP George.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2008 12:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. There's a been a lot of "celebrity" deaths lately but this is the only one that made me do a double take.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2008 12:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wonderful WINO"

I remember hearing Carlin's stand up comedy in the nightclubs that he was doing his shows in during the mid 60's and introduced these two famous comedy sketches...on LP's that he had recorded

RIP George, you're still funny.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 12:31 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

He had a recent act about suicide... he said how every 30 seconds, someone tries to kill themself... and then he looks right at his watch and says" woops, there goes another guy" and has a funny look on his face.... I was almost crying at that point, glad I got to see him several times here in Phoenix.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-23-2008 12:36 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shit, piss, fuck...

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 12:47 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we have Harvey Korman, and now George Carlin... who's next (according to the "rule of three" thing)? [Frown]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-23-2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the laughs for many years.

RIP Mr. Carlin

Seven Words

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2008 01:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This saddens me very much. Although his last couple of albums have been a little over the top "anger-wise," he had a great way of skewering society with humor that made you stop and think.

"And now they want to ban TOY guns....but they're gonna KEEP THE FUCKIN' REAL ONES!!"

"I'll tell you why we have a 'homeless problem' -- it's because there's no money to be made off of that problem."

"Did you ever notice that you never get laid on Thanksgiving? I think it's because all the coats are on the bed."

"When two countries are at war, what they're really saying is 'My dick is bigger than your dick.' And the bombs, the bullets and the rockets are all shaped like dicks."

"My job, essentially, is thinking up goofy shit. I mean, you don't have time all week."

"I don't understand why prostitution is illegal. Selling is legal. Fucking is legal. Why isn't selling fucking legal?"

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot? And anybody driving faster than you is a MANIAC!"

"A house is just a place to keep your stuff, while you go out and get...more stuff!"

"The planet is fine...the people are fucked. Pack your shit, folks; we're goin' away."

And one classic rant about goofy game-show rules in the early 70s:

"By the time they get to the first question, the first question is, 'Can you come back tomorrow? We're out of time!' You've heard the rules, right? 'Well, you know how we play our game, dontcha? The champion, Mrs. Muckinfuss, will get the first question. If she answers correctly, the challenger, Mrs. Fussmucker, will SPIN the big prize wheel to determine the champion's prize. If the wheel stops on a prize already won by our champion, she can either forfeit the prize or draw a number for a new category. If the wheel stops on a prize NOT yet won by our champion, she'll have a choice, of either accepting the prize, or taking a prize from the challenger's list, in which case the champion forfeits her turn and chooses the challenger's home partner from the revolving drum. We'll call the challenger's home partner and we'll ask her 15 questions. If she answers all of them correctly, she can select a number from one to 900. The champion will then SPIN the big prize wheel to determine the amount of money won by the challenger's home partner. Well, that's what happens if the champion answers correctly. If she answers incorrectly, she has to give us her first-born male child.'"

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-23-2008 01:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
his last couple of albums have been a little over the top "anger-wise,"
His cable shows, too. I saw one of the HBOs here recently and I wasn't laughing. I seriously thought he'd lost his mind. [Frown]

Sorry to see him go, regardless. He was a true pioneer. I still have all of his old classic albums. [Big Grin]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2008 03:16 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first heard him in the mid '70s when I was working at the mad girls' school. 'Class Clown' had something of a cult status among the girls there at the time, mainly due to the swear words in the 'Seven words' sketch. Swearing seemed to be very popular at the time, 'Derek & Clive Live' was also very popular at the school, and unlike George Carlin always seemed very un-funny to me. I remember thinking at the time that I'd heard all of he seven words on British televison.

Much of his material was political or religious in nature; I hope that at this distance in time from the events involved the following isn't considered too political to post here:

Muhammad Ali - he had an unusual job, beating people up, but it's one you're entitled to. Government didn't see it that way, government wanted him to change jobs, government wanted him to kill people. He said ¨No, I'll beat 'em up, but I don't want to kill 'em¨ Government said ¨No, you don't kill 'em, we won't let you beat 'em up¨

Weird way of looking at things. Goodbye George.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I first heard him in the mid '70s when I was working at the mad girls' school.
Ha? Mad Girls School????

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We know the words you can't say on TV. So what are the words you can't say on film-tech? I guess we'll never know now.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 04:42 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Ha? Mad Girls School????
If you've ever seen some of the older St. Trinian's films, make it a day school rather than a boarding one, and do away with the terrible St. Trinian's uniform, you've got a rough idea of what it was like. In fact, some of the local residents actually used to call the place 'St. Trinians'.

As I said, swearing was quite popular, and one of the 'inmates' brought in a copy of 'Class Clown' which she was playing to some of her friends one lunchtime. The 'seven words' sketch was one of the two that I can still remember after all these years; it did seem funny to me at the time, which 'Derek & Clive' didn't. It made fun of the ridiculous, the way it put the very mild word 'Tits' on the end of the list, after much stronger ones, made such a list seem even more ridiculous. I doubt that this sketch was based on any real list, but I don't know for sure.

A few years ago I almost got to see George, there were posters up for a show he was doing when I was over there, but I was going home just a few days before. I hardly heard of him in the thirty odd years between these two events; he's not well known over here.

Going back to the mad school, it wasn't only the girls who used to swear at the teachers, the teachers, or at least one of them, used to swear at the girls as well. Appropriately for this forum he taught film and media studies. He came from the Falls Road in Belfast, a strong IRA area at the time, he spoke with a strong Irish accent, and looked rather fearsome, though I don't think he would hurt a fly. I still remember his way of dismissing his class at the end of the day, I think it was actually the first day that I worked there. He looked at his watch, and said 'It's a bit early. Oh well, you can get up off your fucking arses and fucking piss off home.' I remember thinking that I didn't think teachers were supposed to talk to their classes in that way. I was only a few weeks out of school myself at that time. It seems that this was his normal way of talking to just about everybody, including the Headmistress.

quote: Charles Greenlee
We know the words you can't say on TV. So what are the words you can't say on film-tech? I guess we'll never know now.

I know those words, they are "

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2008 07:12 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad someone caught it. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: