Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Help with getting a parallel printer cable fit through a small hole

Author Topic: Help with getting a parallel printer cable fit through a small hole
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 09:05 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's the situation. I need to get an old school parallel printer cable (DB25 to Centronics 36 pin) through a hole that is about 1/2" too small in diameter to fit either end through. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve drilling out the hole to a bigger diameter.

Does anybody know of any cables where the connector (either one) is oriented parallel to the cable direction? Either that or a ribbon cable that can be pushed through the hole? Any other ideas that don't involve cutting the cable and trying to splice the wires back together or making the hole bigger?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2008 09:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Centronics connectors definately were offered in Rt angle versions. The trick may be finding a DB25 to Centronics Rt angle cable, pre-made.

Steve

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-24-2008 11:00 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless this is a special long cable, the things are pretty much free (I have about 10 of them in a box unless I tossed them out). The molded ends are just rubber goo molded around the stripped sleeve of the wire aand the otherwise loose small wires to the connector pins. You can cut off a bunch of the molded rubber with an exacto knife so the cable can bend down beside the connector and go through the hole. It'll look like crap but work fine as long as you don't flex it a lot and cause wires to break. I have done this, ruined two cables by slicing through wires - they are pretty ratsnestish in the rubber and you can't see them until you've cut into them - but the third was still working when the printer died and a new USB one went in.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this will work:

Belkin Non-IEEE Parallel Compliant Printer Cable with Right Angle Centronics Connector, 10' IM115161

I found it at Staples.com, but the forum system wouldn't take the URL and make it a link.

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the cable pin house can be taken apart, you can then bend the pin house to the side and slide it through that hole with no problem.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-24-2008 12:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, unless you can take or cut the housing off, even a right angle connector is not going to fit through a 1/2" hole. I think Dave has the best idea about cutting away the molded housing.

Alternately, could you use a punch to made the existing hole bigger? I know you didn't want to drill, but I thought that maybe that was just because you can't get a drill bit in there, or didn't want the metal chips all over.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this for a conventional pc and printr, or something special? Can whatever it is drive a USB printer? If so you could use a USB-parallel converter, so you'd only need to pass a USB plug through the hole.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 03:01 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that the hoods can be removed. You can have it for postage.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 03:25 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
Maybe this will work:

Belkin Non-IEEE Parallel Compliant Printer Cable with Right Angle Centronics Connector, 10' IM115161

I found it at Staples.com, but the forum system wouldn't take the URL and make it a link.

Link to item on Staples.com

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he said the hole was 1/2" too small for a conventional DB25 or Centronics to fit through...not 1/2" total hole. If the hole is 1/2" then I suggest just making the cable.

Steve

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-24-2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used a D-Link DP-301P+ for the last many years to drive my HP LaserJet 5...it's a Bi-directional Parallel Printer Port server for an EtherNetwork 10/100 network. Plugs directly into the "Centronics" parallel port of the printer and uses a small cat5 cable to the computer or router. Never had a problem.

This may be a good option/solution.

"Street Price" is less than at the mfgr's site.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2008 11:35 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch

The key word here is "Non-IEEE" Compliant. This could result in flaky operation of whatever is on the other end of the cable. Then again, maybe it's because there's a small insignificant detail of the cable that doesn't meet IEEE standards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: