Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Adios, Windows XP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Adios, Windows XP
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-30-2008 09:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
XP hooked users, but now it gets the hook

Tom Abate, Chronicle Staff Writer
Monday, June 30, 2008

Petitions are a time-honored political tool to save endangered species, preserve open space and agitate for change.

Now Microsoft Corp. finds itself the target of a petition drive to save - get this - a PC operating system.

Today the Redmond, Wash., software giant officially stops selling Windows XP, the program that animates millions of business and consumer PCs.

Microsoft wants to push corporate and consumer buyers toward Windows Vista, its new-and-improved program to do things like display glitzier graphics and keep spyware off the machine.

But many PC users are resisting this forced migration, and a San Francisco technology journalist has gone so far as to post a petition at SaveXP.com that has gathered 210,000 signatures.

"This is classic advocacy: If you think something's wrong, say something about it," said Galen Gruman, executive editor of InfoWorld.com, a trade publication that caters to the professionals who install and maintain corporate computer systems.

Gruman said the petitions are being sent to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who emerges now from the shadow of the retiring Bill Gates to confront an embarrassing revolt.

For instance, Intel Corp., the chipmaker that has long been Microsoft's partner in dominating the PC industry, says that while it is testing Vista "in some departments," it still uses XP.

"We have not deployed Vista across the enterprise," said Intel spokesman Bill Calder.

While such rebuffs may hurt Microsoft's pride, Vista's unenthusiastic reception is unlikely to put a big dent in its bottom line, especially in the roughly two-thirds of the PC market devoted to corporate computer sales.

Al Gillen, vice president of research for the market research firm IDC, explained that corporate buyers have "downgrade rights" that allow them to load Windows XP onto new PCs instead of Vista - even though they will actually pay for the newer operating system when they buy new hardware.

"For business customers, it's a nonissue," Gillen said.

But for the other 35 percent of the market, including consumers who lack "downgrade rights," the discontent could benefit rivals like Apple's Macintosh operating system and Linux, the populist software developed on the Internet and owned by no one.

"Apple is doing everything right, hammering at Microsoft on a daily basis and doing it brilliantly," said Lance Ulanoff, editor-in-chief of PC Magazine, a publication aimed at average users.

Michael Gartenberg, a PC industry analyst for Jupiter Research, said that by forcing customers to migrate from XP to Vista, Microsoft risks making the same mistake as the Coca-Cola Co. when it temporarily replaced its tried-and-true formula with New Coke in 1985.

"You always want to pull your customers along, you never want to push them," said Gartenberg, adding, "When people realize they're being forced to try something new anyway, a lot of them decide to try Pepsi."

Gillen, the IDC analyst, said that to a certain extent, Microsoft is the victim of its own success. "XP is a pretty good product," he said, and while Vista is arguably better, "a pretty good product can hang on for a while."

In response to its critics, Microsoft has already softened its initial posture regarding the switchover. Microsoft has said ultramobile PCs - like the new $500 laptops from Hewlett-Packard and the Taiwanese firm Asus - can be sold with XP.

Microsoft also has promised to provide extended customer support and fix bugs for Windows XP until 2014.

But the petition signatures being sent to Redmond seem unlikely to win a broader reprieve.

"We're aware of the campaign but continue to be guided by what we hear from customers and partners," Microsoft said in a statement. "And what we're hearing in the full range of feedback we're receiving is that the transition plan we've outlined makes sense."

But Gruman, the tech editor from San Francisco, said while there's not much precedent for Microsoft admitting wrong, the company has reversed itself under similar circumstances so as to make things right.

Gruman recalled that, in 2000, Microsoft pushed a similar upgrade from its Windows 98 operating system to Windows Millennium, a successor that lived just long enough to be named one of the 25 worst technology products of all time by PC World magazine.

After officially killing Windows 98, but before it was able to launch Windows XP, Microsoft released Windows 98 Second Edition. So long as customers want XP, and Microsoft can make money selling it, Gruman asks why not.

But Ulanoff, of PC Magazine, says that if Microsoft has erred, it is being too permissive because it will have to support XP and Vista while developing its next operating system, Windows 7.

"What Microsoft tries to do with its OS is to support the world," he said.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-30-2008 09:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tell ya... Vista is Windows ME all over again!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-30-2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is this "Windows 7" nonsense I keep hearing about? Why buy/illegally pirate Vista if Windows 7 is coming? Vista is already super-old.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2008 11:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of all the "improvements" that don't really do anything important, like fading windows and 3-D graphics and all that crap, why don't they just concentrate 100% of their energy on making it work properly?

I'd like to buy a product called "Windows WorksPerfectly."

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-01-2008 12:08 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows 7 is supposed to have a different touch screen based interface. While the concept seems very neat, I'm sort of turned off by the idea as well. Just imagine your computer screen all smeared up with a bunch of damned finger prints. Yeah. It's a pet peeve of mine when a coworker wants to point out some element of artwork on one of my CRT monitors and insists on smearing his fingertip on the screen. Just point at it! Don't touch! Arrgh.

Microsoft is in a pretty difficult position with trying to market Vista or any other new version of Windows.

Microsoft has already been selling XP for far longer than anyone should ever have expected. I could be wrong, but it appears to me like XP has had a longer run than any previous version of Windows. A new version of Windows has been long overdue.

The trouble with Vista is it "broke" more things than it fixed. It didn't offer a sensible upgrade path since it didn't support the drivers of many peripherals and even had issues with lots of legacy XP-compatible software. My workplace has some expensive hardware (some of it brand new) that just isn't compatible with Vista because no drivers have been written for it yet. Until that happens, we're staying with XP -even if that means avoiding new computer purchases.

At the same time, the problems associated with Vista are really nothing new. Every previous version of Windows has had problems in providing backward compatibility to older software and connected devices. Vista has only gained a lot more negative publicity over the situation.

Apple has been having fun teeing off on Microsoft on the Vista deal, but Apple has never had to deal with the sort of legacy software/hardware support issues Microsoft has had to deal with over the years. Apple makes all the hardware, the OS and even a lot of the software. So they tightly control much of the platform. And when they want to release a new OS the backward compatibility issue just isn't important at all. They'll just have you dual boot two versions of MacOS for awhile until every app you own has a version compatible with the new OS. Luckily for Apple, its user base is largely made up of enthusiasts for the Mac platform and often view Apple products as a sort of fashion item. So it's not difficult to get those users to fork over lots of money on hardware and software. The much larger base of Windows users is widely varied in its attitudes -with stodgy, penny pinching businesses being a major component of it.

Microsoft is making a mistake by pulling the plug on Vista. They're screwing home users and small business users by removing XP as an option. If they want to stick Vista on every Windows-based PC, they ought to at least let users be able to dual boot a copy of XP as well. The issues with device drivers and certain kinds of software for Vista has not been completely solved.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-01-2008 12:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the up and coming noise on Win7, makes one wonder if VISTA (un)fortunately became Microsoft's second "New Coke" release of an OS with WinME being their first.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2008 01:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dell has a deal where you can have to buy Vista (your only choice)...but for $100 extra you can get it loaded with XP. [Roll Eyes]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-01-2008 02:02 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I want my MXP!

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-01-2008 02:41 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, in the last month, I just bought a new Dell with XP on it. A friend recommended buying a Dell on-line, where you have the option of eschewing Vista. I got a great system, and I didn't have to pay anything extra. It was the same price if I got Vista.

I didn't want to get a new computer, but my old one lost a power supply and took the motherboard with it. I just needed a working computer that could run all the software I've been running. I'm glad I had the XP option. Now I basically have the same computer again ... but twice as fast, with a better graphics card. [thumbsup]

(Too bad, however, that the IDE internal hard drive I was planning on transplanting couldn't plug in--it's only 1.5 years old! No one told me everything's SATA now!) [thumbsdown]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-01-2008 03:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that same problem when I got my new Mac, all the drives were SATAN and not IDE. Fortunately I already had the cabling to make the transfer a snap.

-

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-01-2008 03:07 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I had to go the USB route, too. I, however, did NOT have those cables on hand. Would have been nice to know before the package arrived.

I'm going to stick with XP until this computer goes. After that, if Vista is all that's around, I'm finally going to go Mac and get the ProTools rig I always dreamed of. I just don't want to hear my Mac friends I-told-you-so-ing me like all my cellphone friends did when I got my first cellphone.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-01-2008 03:09 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I LUV the drywall (or foamcore?)...nice touch! [beer] [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-01-2008 03:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd love it even more now. The drywall eventually became unusable so I had to replace it with, ummm, this:

-

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-01-2008 03:15 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-01-2008 04:08 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
If they want to stick Vista on every Windows-based PC, they ought to at least let users be able to dual boot a copy of XP as well.
Which is precisely what I do - I have Vista Ultimate x64, XP Pro x86 (for backwards compatibility) and Ubuntu x64 on three partitions on both my desktop and laptop. However, setting that up was not simple or straightforward - if you're not comfortable partitioning hard drives, editing the bootloader, installing device drivers etc., you're not going to be able to do that. Added to which is the fact that I can buy copies of Windows at a massive discount through the university at which I work - most people don't have that option, and for them buying two licences isn't going to be cheap, either. In other words, unless you're a bit of computer geek who is prepared to spend quite a bit of money, you're not going to be able to do this.

Agreed entirely that if MS had any sense they'd actively encourage (through competitive pricing) PC manufacturers to develop dual boot images and sell computers with a Vista/XP dual boot setup. After all XP must have more than recouped its research and development costs by now, so any further copies they sell must represent more-or-less pure profit (minus a small level of ongoing support costs).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: