Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » R.I.P/ Larry Harmon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: R.I.P/ Larry Harmon
Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bozo the clown passed
away today!!! [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-04-2008 03:16 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG... I remember the cartoons, too. [Frown]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2008 07:59 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a laserdisc of some of those Bozo cartoons. They were some of the worst cartoons ever! I loved the disc, though, because at the end, Bozo carefully reminded us to rewind the tape.

The best Bozo was out of Chicago WGN. Funny stuff almost every day. We got it here on cable, and I really loved it. Really sorry they got rid of that show. Great local TV.

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2008 08:31 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] You mean there was more then ONE Bozo? [Eek!]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-04-2008 09:50 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry Harmon licensed the concept to many local t.v. stations. Romper Room was another kiddy show that was promoted in the same way. He also licensed Laurel and Hardy for cartoons. the cartoons where [bs] but Laurel and Hardy [Cool]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this news on the radio last night just as I left the theater.
I actually felt a slight sense of loss.
Who among us hasn't been a "bozo" at some time or other?
"We're all bozos on this bus",(Firesign Theater- 1971)
said it best.

RIP, Larry- - and when when you get to that great TV Land in the sky- - say 'hi' to Captian Kangaroo and Shari Lewis.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-04-2008 11:08 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
Larry Harmon licensed the concept to many local t.v. stations. Romper Room was another kiddy show that was promoted in the same way.
I can remember thinking this when I was a kid watching some of these franchised shows... I intuitively sensed they had something bigger behind them.

One thing that tipped me off was there was no way a local show could have logos that good or slick (to say nothing of custom animated cartoons). Really, I associated stuff like that when I was very young.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with Bozo The Clown in Chicago, he was played by Bob Bell in those days... I think he played Bozo up till the late 80's. I watched him from the time I was about 4 till I was in the 6th grade. Every noon I went home for lunch from Elementary school and watched the show. I'll never forget the kid doing Bozo Buckets that said "Cram It Clownie" right on the air. Also on the show daily were Oliver The Clown and Bob Trendler's Big Top Band. It took on average three years to get tickets to be on the show which was done live every day.

quote: Tim Reed
Really, I associated stuff like that when I was very young.

To steal a little of Bozo's humor Tim... Apparently you lost it as you aged... So how come there isn't anything big behind the present logos you're associatied with? [Wink]

Mark

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I'll never forget the kid doing Bozo Buckets that said "Cram It Clownie" right on the air.
Mark, did you really see this? I've heard for years that it's an urban legend, but I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO want it to be true. It is the perfect example of everything I love about local childrens' television.

Any details would be greatly appreciated!

Please, say it is so!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2008 09:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely saw this when I was in the 5th grade. It was "all the buzz" back at grade school after lunch!! Bozo was also shown in the lunch room every day at school on an old 23" B&W Zenith set on top of a large roll around cart. The WGN show was done live and there was no digital video delay in those days... The only delay available to any station back then was to use two-2" quad video tape machines and run a long loop between them put the first in record and the second in play. Being a kids show I think they felt there was no need for any delay or taped and then daleyed broadcasting... That was very evident in the many flubs and goof ups that were broadcast during those shows. I was lucky to also have met all the prople on that show as they all appeared at the "Fun Fair" we had at school every year.

Mark

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark! I so wish I could have seen that. [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary,
I forgot to mention two things.... Bob Bell who played Bozo countered with "hey kids... Thats a Bozo No-No".

Also Ray Raynor who played Oliver the Clown also did the news live for a local am radio station that used to exist in Glen Ellyn, IL. (the town I grew up in) in the late 50's early 60's. My dad was a cop in town back then and knew him from the radio station. Through my dad I first met Ray working at the radio station way before he ever played Oliver on the Bozo Show. For some odd reason I also remember the clunky teletype machine hammering away in front of his desk.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-05-2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yawn... [sleep]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2008 07:26 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story I heard did involve him saying "That's a Bozo no-no!"
I do enjoy stories about early local television.

So sorry to bore you Phil, hopefully someone will have a story about some hot clown-on-clown action! [Big Grin]

Right now, I keep thinking about John Favreau on Seinfeld, "You're hung up on some clown from the SIXTIES, man!"

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-05-2008 07:43 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Hill, the thing that gets to me is ALL them people in soooo many locations/TV stations that claim to "see/hear" all that... [uhoh]

True or not?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: