Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » worst trailer you have ever seen? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: worst trailer you have ever seen?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-12-2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all see lots of horrible trailers, but I'm talking about the ones that are so bad that they make you hate the film before it is even released.

My previous nominees would include Kangaroo Jack and Country Bears, but there is one in circulation now that absolutely takes the cake: Beverly Hills Chihuahua. It makes the film look genuinely horrible and I would be amazed if anyone who sees the trailer would actually consider going to see the film.

So...what other horrible trailers are out there?

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with Beverly Hills Chihuahua.
I would also nominate Disaster Movie.
It parodies all the other movies from the last year (even Hancock which came out AFTER the trailer was released) but I don't recall seeing any disasters.
I suppose the gag is that the movie itself will be a disaster.
I'm not sure what I will pick for worst movie of the year.
Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Disaster Movie, or House Bunny.
I'll probably never know because I plan on seeing none of them.

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 10:49 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mamma Mia is my pet hate at the moment but what has really been bothering me lately is the way a lot of trailers keep fading to black every 3 seconds.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 11:12 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Joe knows for sure, but I'm convinced that the default transition on the Avid is dip-to-black. [Wink]

The "same-ness" of today's trailers is particularly annoying, but it's also fun to look at trailers from the 50s and compare their "same-ness" to each other. Trailers from the 60s have their own, general flavor as do trailers from the 70s. None of them would attract real customers today.

My nominee for bad trailer has to be the trailer for The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension. It gave me no incentive whatsoever to see the movie but, when I finally did, I really liked it.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 11:17 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another for Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Even worse, the first one I had that came with Prince Caspian was so ridiculously loud, there was nothing for it but to trash it. Or was that a good thing?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-12-2008 11:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly Hills Dog thats what I call it. I think it is an insult to hispanic people and my senses.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 11:34 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one trailer I can't stand is Mamma Mia. It bothers the hell out of me.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've brought this up before, but Midnight Meat Train. Horrible trailer, ridiculous title.

I am also going to submit for consideration The Rugrats Movie. I had this on a trailer loop in the first theater I GM'd. Every 20 minutes I would hear, "Who Let The Dogs Out?".

I still have nightmares...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-12-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Shane, you bring up a pet peeve of mine.

It's the annoying tendency of shows today to have the obligatory rap section somewhere during the end credits. The movie could be about Dr. Jonas Salk's development of the polio vaccine, and somewhere during the credits, it would cross fade from a nice string theme to "boom..bumpa..boom-boomp... 'WHO-LET-THE-DOGS-OUT!' boomp... boomp-boomp...!

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 02:03 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Madagascar 2 - "She likes to move-it move-it, he likes to move-it move-it" Why is hip-hop parody required on all kids movie trailers coming out now?

I've also got to throw in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button simply due to the musical score that the trailer plays to. That music is heavily overused and that song is like nails on a chalk-board.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 02:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Prince Caspian (1st trailer)

I cant stand Mama Mia either.

As for the Madagascar movie, that thump thump thump when the trailer starts can be heard allover the theatre.

The Mummy trailer currently playing with Wanted is annoying too. Waay too loud, and lots of booming that makes me think it might be raining and thundering outside when I hear it.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-12-2008 03:47 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tristan Lane
Why is hip-hop parody required on all kids movie trailers coming out now?
Hip Hop! That's the name I was trying to think of.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-12-2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The maggots in space and monkeys in space movie trailers currently in circulation have me fit to vomit.

I liked the movie Wall•E. But the previews were torture. Not only did you have the monkey and maggots in space trailers, the chihuahuas wretch and gag trailer was in there too. Add Eddie Murhpy's Dave star vehicle in there for good measure. If this is the sort of thing I'll have to endure constantly if I ever become a parent I'll seriously think about cutting off my nuts and throwing them in the river. Nah, that'll hurt too damned much (could bleed to death as well). I'll just keep wearing condoms.

There's been a lot of bad movie trailers put out in the past. I laughed out loud at the movie trailer included on the Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome DVD. It was so cheesy it was embarrassing. The movie trailer for Alien was pretty bad as well, despite the acclaim some have given to it. Yuck.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2008 05:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Meet Dave and Bolt are the worst I've seen so far this year.

The Sex and the City trailer was annoying because it had the movie's release date in it four times....twice spoken, twice onscreen. That trailer ran exactly once here before I pulled it. (Usually I try to cut-out or cover-up the release dates if we're not playing the movie on the break, and it was impossible on that trailer without ruining it completely.)

Speaking of Meet Dave, they killed that movie off completely by using that title. They had a perfectly good title (Starship Dave) that might have aroused some curiosity and junked it...why? Not that it matters, the movie is going to suck and bomb anyway.

quote: Tristan Lane
Why is hip-hop parody required on all kids movie trailers coming out now?
Because it reminds the kids of black rappers, who are the coolest people on the planet, didn't you know that? [puke]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-12-2008 06:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does everyone hate about the Mama Mia trailer? The Abba songs? The stupid premise? I kind of approve of the trailer since it is so bright and shows off how clean our film can be. I never listen to the sound.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: