Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Isaac Hayes - Dead at 65 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Isaac Hayes - Dead at 65
Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Hayes dead at 65
Isaac Hayes

(CNN) -- Soul singer and arranger Isaac Hayes, who won Grammy awards and an Oscar for the theme from the 1971 action film "Shaft," has died, sheriff's officials in Memphis, Tennessee, reported Sunday.

Singer Issac Hayes seen performing in the U.K. last year. Hayes was found dead Sunday at age 65.

Relatives found Hayes, 65, unconscious in his home next to a still-running treadmill, said Steve Shular, a spokesman for the Shelby County Sheriff's Department.

Paramedics attempted to revive him and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after 2 p.m., the sheriff's department said.

No foul play is suspected, the agency said in a written statement.

Hayes was a longtime songwriter and arranger for Stax Records in Memphis, playing in the studio's backup band and crafting tunes for artists such as Otis Redding and Sam and Dave in the 1960s.

He released his first solo album in 1967, and his 1969 follow-up, "Hot Buttered Soul," became a platinum hit.

Don't Miss
iReport.com: Your memories of Isaac Hayes
In 1971, the theme from "Shaft" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks and won an Academy Award for best original theme song. The song and the movie score also won Grammy awards for best original score and movie theme.

Hayes won a third Grammy for pop instrumental performance with the title track to his 1972 "Black Moses" album.

From the late 1990s through 2006, Hayes provided the voice of "Chef" for Comedy Central's raunchy animated series "South Park," as well as numerous songs.

The role introduced him to a new generation of fans, but he left after the show lampooned his own religion, the Church of Scientology.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002

|  IP: Logged

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah shit, this really sucks. Another one bites the dust.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-10-2008 05:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the guy?

-

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 06:56 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a semi qualified musician I find Joe's post really REALLY distasteful and just freakin RUDE!

Isaac was a very talented man who deserves better than that!

Isaac, RIP.

Clint

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2008 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Issac Hayes had one of the longest, and most hilarious death scenes in movies ever, I think it was during Truck Turner? Great stuff.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2008 09:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was a lot older than 65. I really didn't know anything about the guy but I liked his 2 big hits - Shaft especially.

I remember he was on the Dean Martin variety show once - and Isaac was wearing no shirt, just a bunch of gold chains with a medallion of some sort. Martin came over sorta drunkenly, as per normal, after Isaac's song and sized him up, and said, "Well, I really like your ... shirt." Probably doesn't work in print, but if you know what Dino was like, you know it was a hilarious moment.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-10-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was the Duke of New York. The A-Number One.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-11-2008 12:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, all I know is the guy's pic I posted is named "Isaac". So it must be the same guy.

I am also a semi-qualified musician. Search da net!

EDIT: I read elsewhere that this is chef from South Park! I seriously didn't know. I remember that he is a scientologist so he'll just be reincarnated real quick-like. No worries!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-11-2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Hayes' involvement with Scientology led to his departure from the South Park cast. Trey Parker & Matt Stone put together the infamous "Trapped in the Closet" episode during Season 9. It lampooned Tom Cruise, R. Kelly and spilled the beans about "what scientologists actually believe."

Tom Cruise reportedly pressured Paramount and Viacom brass to never air that episode of South Park ever again in the U.S. and prevent it from being seen in other countries. Eventually Comedy Central aired the episode again anyway in response to vocal fan support.

It was during this time Isaac Hayes chose to leave the cast for good. Rumors suggest he may have been pressured by other church members to leave.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone responded by starting off Season 10 with "The Return of Chef." They patched together old pieces of recorded Chef dialog to make him sound like a member of an adventurers club that molests children around the world. Chef ends up getting eaten by a bear and mountain lion. The creepy club members put him back together as a sort of Darth Vader version of Chef.

Those two episodes can be seen in their entirety at
southparkstudios.com.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-11-2008 01:32 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you, Super Adventure Club!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 01:36 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is too bad. SHAFT was great, and I really liked him in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK.

Strangely, he starred in a movie coming out in November called SOUL MEN, which also features Bernie Mac.

He certainly was a bad mother--

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 04:27 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He certainly was a bad mother--
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! [Wink]

[ 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Hillary Charles ]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 06:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's talkin' about Shaft.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-11-2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
We can dig it!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well he was Black, Bold and Bloody Mean! as the bad ass bounty hunter in "Truck Turner" (1974).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: