Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mobile Phone Video Projector

Author Topic: Mobile Phone Video Projector
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2008 07:44 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a year-and-a-half ago, I attended a a super-secret demo of a protoype of a mobile phone with a tiny built in video projector. That unit used a special DLP chip with a tiny white LED laser as the light source. The unit I saw was a prototype and at that time it was not known if/when it would be practcial to mass produce. This news article shows a different unit that looks like these things might finally be hitting the market soon.
Story Link (With Pictures!)

Mobile Phone with a Built-in Projector

A US based mobile phone retailer has started shipping what it says is the world's first mobile phone to come with a built-in projector. The Epoq EGP-PP01, which retails for $550 is said to be able to project stored images and video as large as 30 inch diagonal on most surfaces.

It can also be connected with DVD players, portable media players, set-top boxes and laptop computers to serve as a projector, and project a movie continuously for up to two hours with an image resolution of 640 x 480 pixels.

The phone is a tri-band GSM/GPRS handset.

Earlier this year, 3M demonstrated a tiny projector unit which could be fitted inside a mobile phone and provide a display up to 40 inches diagonal. Each engine uses an advanced liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS) electronic imager in conjunction with proprietary 3M optics technology.

It is not known who supplied the projector unit for the Epoq handset.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
super [Cool]

Me like Gadgets [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-26-2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great. So not only will we now have to put up with with the noise of Amy Winehouse howling and screeching like a dying cat from people's iPods on the train, but now we'll be forced to watch videos of her crack-ravaged features as well? That would be enough to put me off my G & T...

Still, if something as small as a mobile phone is able to project a 30" picture at 640 x 480, it should be possible to build a projector unit into a laptop that is just as good as the ones you find in most classrooms and meeting rooms nowadays.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: