Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Lost my best friend today

Author Topic: Lost my best friend today
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-29-2008 12:43 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Crock, my best friend for the last 31 years (and my landlord for the last seven) suffered a massive heart attack around 9:30 last night. He made it through the night, but had to be shocked several hundred times. The ER, CatLab, CCU, and ICU crews at Mountain View really worked hard to save him, but in the end there was so much heart damage that he was given a less than 50% chance of surviving. He passed on at 4:20pm this afternoon. We were going to celebrate his 55th birthday this coming Tuesday.

The guy was truly a computer science genius and a lot of fun work with, or even just hang around with. At least I have lots of great memories of nights after work down at The Four Kegs, quaffing a few (and sometimes more than a few) with him. I don't know what else to say.

Fly west to your peace my old friend.

[ 08-29-2008, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

|  IP: Logged

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2008 01:29 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family of Mike as you deal with your loss.

I'm glad you have the good times to think about!

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2008 08:30 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Losing a good friend or even a long time pet is always tough.

Try not to focus on how he died, but rather on how he lived.

I know there are no words that anyone could say or that I could write that will mitigate the loss you are feeling right now or that won't come out sounding like some platitudinous cliche, but as the previous poster wrote: "remember the good times" and try to go on living your life in a manner your friend would be proud of.

Condolences to you and best wishes that you manage to find some level of personal peace in this difficult time for you.

JC

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-29-2008 03:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, my good friend, it's never easy on those that are left behind when someone we personally know and love pass on to the afterlife.

Your long-time best friend was taken at a relatively young age and that makes it not only unexpected but all the more sad, hard to understand, and hard to emotionally deal with.

I sincerely send you my deepest heartfelt condolences as well as to his family.

>>> Phil

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-29-2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Someday we'll all be together. . . " Louis

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-29-2008 08:10 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, that's pretty young. Sorry for your loss.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-01-2008 07:09 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry for your loss, Paul. Mortality sucks. Kick it in the ass by loving like there is no tomorrow.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-02-2008 01:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to hear this, Paul. Blessings unto you and his family.

Paul Mayer

- posted 09-02-2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the kind thoughts. I really appreciate it and wish I could express that better. Maybe someday I'll be able to.

But now I am going through a sort of living hell.

We haven't even had time to organize or hold some sort of small memorial gathering for him, and today I was given notice to be out of here by this Friday.

What really hurts is this 3-day eviction was issued by the owner of the house, a friend (I thought) of both Mike and I for quite a few years. And to think I just finished doing some free electrical neon work for this guy, getting at least the main part of the front sign of his newly acquired bar up and running.

It's been more than a little nerve racking trying to get my stuff boxed up (working on it after work everyday), find storage (haven't found anything I can afford yet), find a rental room that will allow cats (again, nothing I can afford yet), cough up a deposit, and deal with all the other crap one has to do when moving on almost no notice.

It doesn't help that I too am flat broke - fortunately Friday is payday. Yay, 950 bucks will have never looked so good.

I feel so selfish and guilty for not having time to mourn and instead rush around in a panic thinking only of myself and the two cats. This just sucks.

We'll see how things go Friday. It's going to be a long three days. Please wish me some luck. I'm going to need it.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-02-2008 10:29 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, see my private email...

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-04-2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, this is just terrible. Cold-hearted and terrible! I don't know about where you live, but nearly everywhere I've lived, by law, you have to be given at least 30 days on any kind of notice like that. They can't just say, okay, get out.

Please keep us posted. And, yes, the best to you. I'm sorry you're being made to go through this.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-04-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
I don't know about where you live, but nearly everywhere I've lived, by law, you have to be given at least 30 days on any kind of notice like that. They can't just say, okay, get out.
Not if he's behind on the rent. If you've missed a payment, many states allow the landlord to give a notice of between 3 and 5 days to pay in full or leave. But it doesn't sound like Paul's case is like that.

Paul Mayer

- posted 09-04-2008 09:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nevada has only a 3-day law for renters. In this state, miss your rent and three days later you're out of there.

In my case I was a sub-renter, just renting a room in a house. Mike, my roommate was in turn paying the rent on the house. I was (and am) current to my now dead roommate. But Nevada law does not recognize sub-renters. So the owner has every right to get me out by tomorrow. Financially his back is against the wall too - I just wish he could have given me a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days.

This will be my last post from this computer for a while - gotta finish boxing everything up tonight so I can spend tomorrow moving boxes down the street to storage. Thank God for Public Storage's $1 First Month special! Fortunately I'm also off work tomorrow and Saturday. Hopefully anything I don't get off the property by tomorrow afternoon can sit in the garage for a final Saturday morning move. Moved three pickup loads already. Don't know what I would've done if Mike's parents hadn't given me his truck for this move.

Don't know where I'm staying just yet - got some leads for rooms off of Craig's List and also from my airline's internal Grapevine classified ads, but so far nothing solid yet. In the worst case I'll be in a Motel 6 for the weekend. The cats (mine and Mike's) are going into boarding for a few days until I can find another cat-friendly rental situation. Mike's parents have been helping where they can (like paying for the cats' boarding) while also trying to get most of Mike's stuff out of here and back over the hump to Pahrump.

I'll be checking in once in a while from work starting Sunday. Hopefully a acceptable rental situation will be found in the next few days, and I and the cats can finally settle down in a new and happier setting.

Mike's parents and I haven't had time to think much about a memorial gathering for Mike yet, but plans are in the works. They received the ashes and death certificate today. Yesterday would've been his 55th birthday.

It'll be a nice and quiet and small and fun gathering. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

But for now, back to the boxes!

[Edit] Found a cat-friendly month-to-month room about three miles from here. Will be moving the cats there tomorrow. No internet there though (at least for now). Maybe I can get that going for them, even though I'm broke too.

I'm tired and going to bed for the last time in this place. Tomorrow begins a new phase of my life. See you all in a few weeks.

[ 09-05-2008, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 09-05-2008 07:51 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible, the whole situation! I'm happy you found a place but you should be mourning now, not worrying about you and the cats living situation.. I was sitting here reading this with my mouth wide open in discust, I am so sorry for you, and everything that has happened.

Congrads on finding a place in such short notice, that would be half a miracle around where I live.

And.. I'm so sorry for your loss, hopefully you can get settled in fast and deal with the mourning of your friend.

Keep us updated when you can!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: