Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Legendary voice-over artist Don LaFontaine passes at 68 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Legendary voice-over artist Don LaFontaine passes at 68
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-01-2008 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably better know as that trailer voice that says "In a World" a lot. There are many immitators, but only one original.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/09/64990/index.html
quote:

-

Voiceover Master Don LaFontaine has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine, far right, is pictured above with ET's Mark Steines and Mary Hart, and fellow voiceover artist Randy Thomas.

LaFontaine, known as the "King of Voiceovers," died Monday afternoon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. LaFontaine's agent, Vanessa Gilbert, tells ET that he passed away following complications from Pneumothorax, the presence of air or gas in the pleural cavity, the result of a collapsed lung. The official cause of death has not yet been released.

Over the past 25 years, LaFontaine cemented his position as the "King of Voiceovers." Aside from being the preeminent voice in the movie trailer industry, Don also worked as the voice of Entertainment Tonight and The Insider, as well as for CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and UPN, in addition to TNT, TBS and the Cartoon Network. By conservative estimates, he voiced hundreds of thousands of television and radio spots, including commercials for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Ford, Budweiser, McDonalds, Coke, and many other corporate sponsors.

He recently parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for Geico. At last count, he has worked on nearly 5000 films, including appearances as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards. Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG. Don is survived by his wife -- singer/actress Nita Whitaker, and three children: Christine, Skye and Elyse.

YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPMvj_xejg

[ 09-02-2008, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2008 10:53 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A likely unknown film legend gone... Without those GEICO commercials, I'd be willing to bet that *most* folks wouldn't know who he was...

RIP Don... RIP...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-02-2008 12:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
LaFontaine, far right, is pictured above with ET's Mark Steines and Mary Hart, and fellow voiceover artist Randy Thomas.
Oh?

Anyway he had a great sense of humor.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-02-2008 01:04 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Frown] [Frown]

What a shock... just 68! OMG. I know a lot of guys looked up to him, he certainly set the standard.

A legend has passed.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 01:44 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow, what a bummer.

This continues to be one of my favorite videos of all time.

RIP.

[Frown]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-02-2008 02:04 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fixed it just for you Joe.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-02-2008 02:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I was getting fidgety without it.

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 02:41 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IN A WORLD,

Complete with TRULY AMAZING THINGS!

MEET

EDWIN SCHWING

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 04:19 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a damn shame.

Rest in peace, Don.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 05:16 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a shock, this guy was a pro. He added that little extra something to trailers. He will be missed by those in the know, but probably also by the movie going masses who will no longer hear his dominant growl.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 05:35 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally, can put a face to the voice that was bugging me for years. Very sorry to hear the news, trailers will never be the same again, R I P

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 07:16 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great loss. And much too young.

5 GUYS IN A LIMO is one of my favorite videos of all time.

I'm sure there is someone out there who can sound exactly like Don, much as Corey Burton sometimes does a perfect Paul Frees.

Don, you will be missed by those of us in the darkened room.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2008 07:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pneumothorax, the presence of air or gas in the pleural cavity, the result of a collapsed lung. The official cause of death has not yet been released.

A very unusual way to die I might add. RIP Don.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 09:41 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually a pneumothorax is much more common than you would think. It's a common complication of various procedures in the hospital (like if you had fluid around the lung that needed to be removed and the needle went slightly too far). Though I imagine for him to have died from it he must've not gotten medical attention very early in the ordeal.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-02-2008 10:29 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
fellow voiceover artist Randy Thomas.

FWIW, she's the one who did the "1-800-A-B-C-D-E-F-G" spots...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: