Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Singer/Actor Jerry Reed has passed away (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Singer/Actor Jerry Reed has passed away
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 04:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Singer / Actor Jerry Reed passed away early Monday at the age of 71.

Good Bye Snowman, RIP

Just some of his film titles:
  • "The Waterboy"
    "The Survivors"
    "Bat*21"
    "Hot Stuff"
    "Smokey and the Bandit"
    "Smokey and the Bandit 2"
    "Smokey and the Bandit 3"
    "Gator"
    "W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings"

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had seen him in several movies over the years and remember him as a comedic actor. Wow, 71 is young!(especially when you're looking back at it). Always enjoyed him. RIP.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-02-2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is sad news. I always thought he had a wonderful presence on the screen. He was great as the heavy in "Gator," and who can forget his memorable role in "Smokey and the Bandit" (as well as the hit music he recorded for it)!

"W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings" was one of my favorites, too.

So long, Jerry. Thanks for the ride.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 06:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

"You can't drive a forklift!"

Whenever he smiled it always brought a smile to my face. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Of course, his songs in Smokey And The Bandit really helped the film along, but I particularly enjoyed another of his called She Got The Goldmine...I Got The Shaft

Great stuff.

See you, Jerry.

Thanks a lot for so much.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, without Jerry, Smokey and the Bandit would have been "not much."

Like Tim, I really enjoyed his bad-guy role in Gator. "Well...I been nice to him long enough. (takes drag on cigarette)...Now I'm gonna kill 'im."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 07:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbor has a basset hound that I call "Fred" .. "Mr. Fred Basset".

..in tribute to Jerry's basset hound in Smoky and the Bandit.

RIP

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2008 08:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember Reed's 70's hit When You're Hot You're Hot? That, and Smokey and the Bandit are my early memories of Jerry Reed. I really liked the movie having a Basset Hound in it. Our family had two of them when I was growing up (they lived until I was a sophomore in college).

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-02-2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, it seems like most all of the old guard talent are dropping like flies this year.

RIP Mr. Reed.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-02-2008 09:49 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Guitarzan!

An LP of a live concert performance was my first exposure to him in the late '60's. Guitarzan and When You're Hot You're Hot were both on that album.

RIP Mr. Reed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-03-2008 12:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Anyone remember Reed's 70's hit When You're Hot You're Hot?
Yeah...that song is hilarious! I never had listened to the words until maybe a couple of years ago and now I crank it up whenever it comes on the radio.

"He let my friends go free and throwed the book at me!
I said well, when you're hot you're hot."

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-03-2008 02:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Associated Press:

---------
In a 1998 interview with The Tennessean, he admitted that his acting
ability was questionable.

"I used to watch people like Richard Burton and Mel Gibson and think,
`I could never do that.'

"When people ask me what my motivation is, I have a simple answer:
Money."

--------

Cue the smile. [Smile] [thumbsup]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-03-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't forget Guitarzan!
That was Ray Stevens. You may be thinking of Guitar MAN. [Smile]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is sad news, I'll have to watch Smokey over the weekend in his honor. Hey, at least he was honest about the money aspect [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-03-2008 06:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just let me know what time and I'll come over.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2008 08:24 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You bring the shrimps for the barbie, and we'll call it a deal... say 7ish on Friday? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: