Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Google Chrome (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Google Chrome
Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2008 05:41 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone using Google's new browser, Chrome yet?

I have used it some, and haven't found too many deficiencies yet even though it is still a beta release.

|  IP: Logged

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2008 05:51 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run Firefox 3 on my Mac, but my dad, who is in software, hence a Windows user, tested a variety of browsers today, including Chrome. He was put off by its relatively slow speed and the fact that it didn't specify loading by individual tab, as FF does. In all fairness, who in their right mind opens 40 tabs at once?

I am sufficiently satisfied with FF that I doubt I'll go to the effort of trying it out, but I guess options are always good.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-03-2008 08:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your dad said that chrome was SLOW?! I booted up into a VM just to test it out (since a linux port isn't available yet and I'd heard a bunch of hype)... and I was blown away by the speed, as was everyone else on the linux forum where our discussion about it was taking place. Having an individual process for each tab is great (no more having one tab crash, taking down the whole browser). And there are tons more innovations than just these.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-03-2008 09:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, what I wondered also on the speed issue...

Just installed this Beta from Google and, yep...definitely faster than FF3 or IE6 ...

No problems on this end.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2008 10:58 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any Google spyware code buried in it?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-03-2008 11:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let it build up a ton of cache and cookies and see if that speed remains. Browsers always seem fastest to me when their new, then they wear down slightly. Weird.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2008 12:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
Any Google spyware code buried in it?
..Right at first, there was a window, like IE, if you want to send Google any site prob information to their servers....
This browser also uses the same engines as does FF/Netscape, thus just another duplicate Mozilla browser - just more fancy bells and whistles that Google is known for.

Also, if you do have FF3 installed (like I have in my laptop here), Chrome just installs in the Mozilla folder and that file isn't that all big, prob why the startup speed is so fast ....

The real big slick about this browser is that if you need to do a search, just put what you are searching for in the address window and Google opens automatically to that topic that you typed in.

-Monte

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 02:15 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't take long....
Melbourne, Australia, Newspaper, The Age
Web edition

http://www.theage.com.au/

4/9/2008

quote:
"Google backs down over browser amid privacy concerns

Mex Cooper
September 4, 2008 - 12:21PM

Google has made an embarrassing backdown after it was revealed the company would have rights to any information entered into websites by people using its new internet browser.

A day after the Google Chrome browser was released, a controversial clause in its "End User License Agreement" (EULA) has been removed following concerns it breached people's privacy and copyright.

Users who downloaded the free browser yesterday were asked to agree to a clause that gave Google a "perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly, perform, publicly display and distribute" any information they typed into a website.

Part of the same clause allowed Google to share the information with "other companies, organisations or individuals with whom Google has relationships".

David Vaile, executive director of the cyberspace law and policy centre at the University of NSW, described the clause as "unprecedented" with "massive privacy and copyright implications".

"On the face of it, this does give Google a licence to do almost anything they want with content you 'submit, post or display' through the browser," Mr Vaile said.

The clause has now been changed to allow users to retain their copyright over information.

Senior product counsel for Google Chrome, Rebecca Ward, said in a statement that the company used the same set of legal terms for all its products to "keep things simple for our users".

"Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product," she said.

She said Google had moved quickly to respond to users' feedback and make changes to the agreement that would apply retroactively to people who had already downloaded Chrome.

Mr Vaile slammed Google for asking users to agree to a "nonsensical licence" that didn't actually apply to Chrome.

"It is very sloppy legal work if it was not Google's intention to gain such rights from users, and borders on treating users and their legal advisers with contempt," Mr Vaile said.

Monash University law lecturer Rebecca Giblin said buzz about the clause had spread over the internet within an hour of the browser's release.

She said Google's backdown was "clearly in response to public opinion".

"I think the people who drafted the agreement were doing the best to protect the company's interests without thinking about the users' interests," she said.

So the users stood up for their own rights and made it clear to Google that the wide-reaching clause was not acceptable."

"From the users' perspective, the fact that Google immediately backed down is a great outcome."

Dr Giblin said the clause would have given Google rights to any information typed by a person into a website while using Chrome, including bank details, passwords and emails.

"It gave Google the right to that content, to display it elsewhere, display it to other people, modify or adapt it. That's why the clause was so controversial," she said.

She said many internet users inherently trusted Google, whose unofficial company motto is 'do no evil', despite privacy concerns raised about some of its other products including Street View.

"The thing is Google is at heart an advertising business. It does not have a focus on security like a bank does. So even if you trust Google with your secrets there is no guarantee that information will not come out in other ways," she said.

Dr Giblin said Google's core business was to gather information that could be used to target advertising to internet users, which had been one of the company's motivations to release Chrome.

"Everything you've typed into a browser (could be filtered) through by Google to decide what sort of products to target at you, it raises significant privacy concerns," she said.

"Most Google services are paid for by advertising, it is their core business, and the better they know their users, the better they can target advertising to them."

She said she was not surprised Google had removed the clause as it placed a high value on its reputation as a "good company".

"Every time a controversy like this arises it puts another chink in their armour," she said.

Google has touted Chrome as a faster, more user-friendly and safer internet browser than Microsoft's dominant Internet Explorer.

A Google Australia spokesman said the company took users' privacy "very seriously" and information shared with Google through Chrome was "similar to the information that is shared when you're using a different browser and search on Google".

Google has released a YouTube video which explains features on Chrome that can be used to turn off functions that store users' information, including cookies, records of downloads and web history.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 07:28 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, it seems that Chrome is only available for Windows. I wonder if they'll make a version for OSX?

I'm currently using Safari 3.1.2 with OSX (Leopard). I absolutely love it, and cannot say enough about it. Just brilliant! [Big Grin]

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 08:45 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, that sounds positively News Corp-esque! I have had some concern over privacy with Google, but I also find the relevancy of their searches is getting worse and worse. When searching for technical information for a car, for example, I get pages and pages of ads, and no real useful data. I *gasp* am considering leaving Google for something better, but I don't know what else there is anymore. What am I going to do, Google "search engines better than Google"?

Michael, have you looked at FF3? While I'm not saying it is impossible to like Safari over Firefox, I find Firefox is much more functional for many things, especially with the new way v3 searches through the address bar history as you type in it.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-04-2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The blurb Rick's story refers to was fixed. What happened was the EULA that google used was copied from their web services TOS (terms of services). Since then, they have updated the EULA to remove that part.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
This browser also uses the same engines as does FF/Netscape, thus just another duplicate Mozilla browser - just more fancy bells and whistles that Google is known for.
No it does not. Chrome uses webkit which is the engine for Apple's Safari browser. In fact, shortly after Chrome was released a security guy found it had an old Safari bug since there hasn't been a new webkit since that bugfix.

Also, if there is any spyware in the browser it'll be easily removed by the community since this is an open source browser.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2008 12:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, just noticed the "Mozilla" in the "about" of the browser along with "Webkit" ..and how it installed under the Mozilla directory.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-04-2008 03:50 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

The "chrome" directory located inside Mozilla's directory is part of the Mozilla install.

Google Chrome gets installed to "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome" by default.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2008 06:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx and interesting .. a hidden program then in the DOC's directory....found it .. almost a 30M directory then...

Now why would it be installed in the DOCs instead of Program Files....a bit on the interesting side, along being hidden? [Confused]

-Monte

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-04-2008 08:40 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was going to be about some Google trademark rims. I am slightly disappointed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: