Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Projector on the floor? (16mm)

Author Topic: Projector on the floor? (16mm)
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2008 10:54 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's unacceptable to have film touch the floor, but what about the projector.

Here's the situation:

I'm having my 24th birthday party later this month, which is also the inaugural meeting of the film society I've established. The theme is Black & White Comedy (the guests have been encouraged to dress in black & white and bring a joke to share) featuring 2 prints recently acquired from eBay and 2 rentals making up a ~70 minute film program with the major duos and trios represented.

The plan is to project onto the living room wall from the top of the stairs, running the sound through my el-cheapo HTIB.

Obviously I'm not going to have the film reels, or the film itself on the floor at any point (my own, or the rentals), but is it acceptable to have the projector sitting on the floor? I'm not sure I have anything short enough to place the projector on and keep the image where I want it on the wall.

The floor will be clean and I have a small cart which I intend to keep the films on (placing the projector on the bottom shelf of this cart was considered, but the real arms wouldn't clear the top shelf).

Do you think this will be OK?

[edit: Wasn't sure whether to put this in FHF. I'd say "feel free to move," but I know you don't need my permission.]

|  IP: Logged

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2008 02:23 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind, I found a foot locker that will work nicely.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be more concerned about the risk of spillage onto the projector.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2008 03:13 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rule is going to be no food or drink in the "booth", so there's nothing to get spilled.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-09-2008 02:13 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the difference between a floor or a table? Both are hard surfaces, both will support the machine. Shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure it is not in the way of foot traffic -- the audience or the projectionist's for that matter.

And happy birthday in advance.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-09-2008 02:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only problem would be if it sucks cooling air through the bottom. Does it have air vents there? It would suck way more dirt through it on a carpet and if it's a shagpile type carpet you may have blocking issues of the vents.

Just make sure there's a solid surface between the machine and the carpet.

Happy birthday in advance from me also. [beer]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-09-2008 03:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You lucky dawg... you're entering the best years of your life! [beer]

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2008 09:43 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a finished hardwood floor.

At the moment, a bigger problem seems to be that my mom has placed a secretary (think desk/cabinet combo) in front of the wall I plan to project onto, but I've agreed to help move it out of the way in time for the party.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-09-2008 11:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tch...mothers. [Roll Eyes]

[Wink]

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 10:27 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this is the first time I'll actually be seen handling film on this forum, as I hold up the almost complete film program.

-

All on one 1600' reel, with just barely enough space for the Abbott & Costello short which should have arrived by now, but hasn't. (That little section of white leader marks where it's supposed to go.)

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: