Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Hurricane Ike about to hit (and my dealing with airlines)

Author Topic: Hurricane Ike about to hit (and my dealing with airlines)
Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-12-2008 06:16 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it'll at least drench the rest of the Houston area.

And I wouldn't have even tried to fly out but a few days ago my grandfather had been given 24 hours to live and so the family gets worried saying we're probably gonna have a funeral. So my mom books a flight for me for this Saturday night. Everything seems fine as the hurricane was expected to head for Corpus Christi. But of course, the day after she bought it, the path changed to here and I was left with a ticket on a day that IAH would be closed. So I try to get them to switch the ticket to today but both flights to Des Moines were booked. So now I got a ticket that'll (assuming the airport doesn't close earlier than they had announced) get me to Kansas City then I'll have to twiddle my thumbs for like 7 hours before I can get a greyhound bus to Des Moines and one of the relatives should be able to pick me up there. I would've gotten a rental car but my return flight is from Des Moines and getting a 4-day rental that you return in a different city ended up being like $250 which is too steep for me right now, especially since the busride is only $53.

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 01:21 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris, sorry to hear about your grandfather.
Were you able to make it to Des Moines ok?

I hope your part of town fared well through the storm.
I live near Splashtown in Spring (northern suburb)and we didn't have much damage at my parents' house.
We have three small holes in our roof (about the size of a fist), but nothing major.
We also had some water come in from the back door because of a deck in the back yard with a poor design, but we were able to hold most of it back with towels and comforters.
Luckily, the floor is tile so we cleaned it up easily with a little sweeping and mopping.
From what I have seen, my neighborhood and my side of town did pretty well.
I saw many trees down, but only a few that actually damaged houses.
One house in my neighborhood had a tree literally slice through the garage, damaging a car inside.

-

A house a few houses down from mine had a branch fall into the roof.
I found out the other day that the owners were asleep at the time and had a branch go through the mattress on the bed where they were sleeping.
Needless to say they were VERY fortunate.
Power is coming back on slowly and we got ours back Monday night.
We are lucky enough that we have had cool weather this week.
It's pretty nice to sleep with the windows open.
We have a lot of pine trees in our neighborhood, so every time I walk into my bedroom with the window open, it smells like someone's been burning incense, but with no smoke.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-18-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got there fine. My dad and his uncle drove down to pick me up from the airport. Luckily (or unluckily I guess) we ended up arriving at the hospice in Newton mere minutes before he passed.

Before the funeral my mom and I headed off north to see her dad while mine spent time helping with the arrangements.

And luckily, I've returned now to find my apartment with power and water [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: