Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » First film you saw at the cinema? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: First film you saw at the cinema?
Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2008 11:10 PM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this is in the right forum...I was just remembering my first ever cinema movie that I can remember seeing-Abba the Movie in 1977, I was 4.
Does anyone else remember their first EVER cinema movie?

|  IP: Logged

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2008 11:24 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E.T.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-13-2008 12:23 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was Star Wars in 1977. I came out about 3 months after I turned 4. I don't actually remember the experience of watching the movie, but I have a faint recollection of standing in line more than a block from the theatre.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-13-2008 12:51 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four yrs. of age seems to be the magic number. Geeze, I remember the first time I went to a drive-in, but I don't remember the bill. It wasn't my first movie, either, but it was my first drive-in and I was enthralled. We subsequently went to a lot of drive-ins. [Smile]

I DO, however, remember seeing the following at drive-ins, when I was 4 (in 1966):

Munster Go Home
The Navy vs. The Night Monsters
Fantastic Voyage
Three on a Couch

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 12:54 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars: The Return on the Jedi, original release. Sadly, I don't remember it. I was probably one of those annoying brats that wouldn't sit still and quiet. First one I remember cleary was Back to the Future. I also saw E.T. in the theatres, but I'm thinking it was a re-release.

Jaime Tuzzio
Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 01:30 AM      Profile for Jaime Tuzzio         Edit/Delete Post 
I was dragged kicking and screaming by my sisters to one of the many re-releases of Pinocchio while my parents went to see Ghostbusters. I still hate Pinocchio and still love Ghostbusters (which I didn't get to see until it hit the video rental stores). Next up was the re-release of E.T. (which I've also never liked). My first positive movie theatre experience was Back to the Future.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 01:37 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn right. High five!. LoL I still want a Delorean. I have a hot wheels sized Delorean time machine. [Big Grin]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-13-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's 'Sword in the Stone', 1963. Managed to get taken up to the box after the show, and first ran a film projector that day. I remember being really impressed by the mercury rectifiers.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 02:44 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In what probably explains much about me, the first films I can recall (though not vividly) are

Psycho II
Star Trek III
C.H.U.D.

I was about 5 or 6 during this period.

I remember throwing an entire bucket of popcorn in the air in terror during Psycho II.

I always thought it was Star Trek II, but it was a double feature with C.H.U.D. so it must have been III as they were released the same year. I don't remember anything about Star Trek, but have very clear memories of some scenes from C.H.U.D., even though I "watched" most of the movie with my eyes covered.

Psycho II was at the Plaza 5 theater in Yuma, and the double feature was at a drive-in here (maybe the Crest) located on 32nd Street.

Sadly, the drive-in location is now home to car lots, and has been for years. Thankfully, the Plaza 5 is closed. It was a converted store that was never taken care of, and was a really bad place to see a movie. I still miss it in that nostalgic sort of way, but it was so rundown and unloved by the end that it was sad to see it open in it's condition.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 02:45 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would have been a reissue of Song Of The South, about 1956 or so, long before the P.C. police got to it. How I'd love to see a nice Blu-ray of this. Guess I'm stuck with my crappy bootleg!

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 02:56 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waalt disney`s Bambi

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-13-2008 03:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1955 - "Lady and the Tramp" .. in glorious CinemaScope!

I was 4 .. sitting above the main floor in my home town's 900 seat theatre balcony with my parents catching a SAT matinee showing of this classic Disney.

Funny though, at that age, that I can still distinctly remember how wide that picture was and knew nothing of this widescreen process since used to seeing square images on our new "Monkey Wards" Airline TV set.

-Monte

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 04:37 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E.T. for me as well. Began my life long obsession with movies!

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 06:43 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea....1954. I was 7.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2008 07:08 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bambi . . . . . to continue the common theme I'm pretty sure I was 4 . . . .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: