Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Have any guesses about 2008 Oscar Nominations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Have any guesses about 2008 Oscar Nominations?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes like to guess what will be nominated and see how accurate I am (or how predictable the Academy is). Here's what I have so far:

BEST PICTURE:
No clue yet.

BEST ACTOR:
-Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight (I'm guessing he won't win, though)
-Sean Penn - Milk (The Academy eats this stuff up and it looks like he does a great job)

BEST ACTRESS:
-Keira Knightly - The Duchess (An actress from a period piece must ALWAYS be nominated, it is policy. Won't win)

BEST MAKEUP:
-The team responsible for Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder. Win.

BEST TRAGIC FOREIGN ANIMATED SHORT IN MONO:
-New category.

BEST SONG:
-Ug. You just KNOW that Mama Mia will get something here. Dear god.

Also, I am betting that either "W" and/or "Frost/Nixon" get some kind of courtesy nod, especially if the movies end up slanting left.

What are your guesses?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-13-2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's still too early to say who will win. After reading a few "fall movie preview" articles, Heath Ledger is the only candidate I feel certain will win in a major category. I'm also pretty sure Ben Burtt will pick up Best Sound and Best Sound Editing Oscars for Wall•E.

Pretty much everything else on my list merely predicts a nomination. Nothing more. Some this Summer's movies will probably win in a few technical categories.

We still have the fall/holiday season movie slate to see how certain movies are received once they're released. Only then will the list of leading contenders seem more certain. There's already a lot of predictions being thrown about on movies that haven't been released yet. But some of those movies may end up being laughable crap that cancels out many predictions. By January, I'm sure some of the predictions on my list will seem pretty silly.

Here's my list of "predictions" (gut-feeling guesses) -something of a work in progress. These predictions are absolutely subject to change:

BEST PICTURE
The Dark Knight (nomination, probably won't win)
Che
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Changeling
Milk

BEST DIRECTOR
Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight (nomination, probably won't win)
Steven Soderbergh - Che
Clint Eastwood - Changeling
Gus Van Sant - Milk
David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

BEST ACTOR
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Sean Penn - Milk
Benicio del Toro - Che
Viggo Mortensen - The Road
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon

BEST ACTRESS
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Kristin Scott Thomas - I Loved You So Long
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
Meryl Streep - Doubt

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight (Ledger will WIN)
-----honorable mentions-----
Josh Brolin - Milk
James Franco - Milk or Pineapple Express
Robert Downey Jr. - The Soloist

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
I don't know enough yet to be able to provide a full list of guesses:
Debra Winger - Rachel Getting Married
Penelope Cruz - Vicki Christina Barcelona

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Dark Knight - Christopher Nolan, Jonathan Nolan, David S. Goyer (story)
Milk - Dustin Lance Black
Che - Peter Buchman, Benjamin A. van der Veen
-----from Che Guevara's Bolivian Diary
Changeling - J. Michael Straczynski
Rachel Getting Married - Jenny Lumet

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Frost/Nixon - Peter Morgan, from his play
The Road - Joe Penhall, from the novel by Cormac McCarthy
Doubt - John Patrick Shanley, from his play
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Eric Roth,
-----based on the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story
Choke - Clark Gregg, from the novel by Chuck Palahniuk

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Wall•E
Coraline
Kung Fu Panda

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
City of Ember
The Dark Knight
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army
Iron Man

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Australia - Mandy Walker
The Dark Knight - Wally Pfister
(maybe a gimmie nomination for the IMAX work?)
Honestly, I really don't know on this category. I have to actually see more of the field of potential nominated movies to get a better idea.

BEST MUSIC SCORE
The Dark Knight - James Newton Howard, Hans Zimmer
Australia - David Hirschfelder
Milk - Danny Elfman (he scored Wanted & Hellboy 2)

BEST SONG
I have no clue on this one.

BEST EDITING
The Dark Knight - Lee Smith
Body of Lies - Pietro Scalia
Wanted - David Brenner
The Quantum of Solace - Matt Chesse, Richard Pearson

BEST SOUND
Wall•E - Ben Burtt, Sound Designer
The Dark Knight - Richard King, Sound Designer
The Quantum of Solace - Martin Cantwell, Sound Designer
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - Martin Hernandez, Sound Designer
Body of Lies - Karen M. Baker, Supervising Sound Editor

BEST SOUND EFFECTS EDITING
Wall•E - Ben Burtt, Supervising Sound Editor
The Dark Knight - Richard King, Supervising Sound Editor
The Quantum of Solace - Eddy Joseph, Supervising Sound Editor
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - Martin Hernandez, Supervising Sound Editor
Body of Lies - Per Hallberg, Supervising Sound Editor

BEST MAKEUP EFFECTS
The Dark Knight
Tropic Thunder

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Australia
City of Ember
Coraline

BEST SET DECORATION
Australia
City of Ember
Coraline

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Duchess
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Australia
City of Ember

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Man on a Wire

BEST FOREIGN FILM
???

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-13-2008 05:20 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen two movies so far this year that stand out as serious Oscar contenders: The Dark Knight and Wall•E. And Heath Ledger's Joker is the only stand out acting performance I've seen so far.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen many of the smaller films this year.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

BEST SET DECORATION

Isn't that kind of redundant? So is "Best Sound" and "Best Sound Effects Editing". Where the hell is "Best Foley"? Or how about "Best Use of Canned Sound Effects"? Or my personal favorite: "Best ADR".

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-13-2008 08:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer was the last to post

BEST SONG:
-Ug. You just KNOW that Mama Mia will get something here. Dear god.

No, they have to be original songs...so we're safe.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2008 02:53 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Isn't that kind of redundant? So is "Best Sound" and "Best Sound Effects Editing".
I understand what you mean, which is why my predictions of nominations are identical in both categories. I merely listed both since technically there really is two different sound categories.

But seriously, there probably should be a best Foley Effects Oscar award. After all, those Foley guys practically have to jump through hoops making all the sound effects things they make happen. Pretty amazing stuff when you really break down what those guys have to do.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-14-2008 06:25 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the foley stuff falls under the Sound Editing category.
Academy Rules for Sound Editing

I don't really understand the Sound Mixing award. Academy Rules for Sound Mixing

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 03:29 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what Wesley Lovell: The Oscar Guy has right now (first choice in each category = winner, the others are alphabetical)

Best Picture
Australia
Changeling
Defiance
Milk
The Reader

Best Animated Film
Wall-E
Kung Fu Panda

Best Director
Baz Luhrmann - Australia
Clint Eastwood - Changeling
Edward Zwick - Defiance
Gus Van Sant - Milk
Stephen Daldry - The Reader

Best Actor
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Hugh Jackman - Australia
Sean Penn - Milk
Viggo Mortensen - The Road
Josh Brolin - W

Best Actress
Kate Winslet - The Reader
Nicole Kidman - Australia
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Carice Van Houten - Valkyrie

Best Supporting Actor
John Malkovich - Changeling
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Liev Schreiber - Defiance
Toby Jones - Frost/Nixon
Emile Hirsch - Milk

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Ryan - Changeling
Amy Adams - Doubt
Viola Davis - Doubt
Kathy Bates - Revolutionary Road
Ellen Burstyn - W

Best Original Screenplay
Wall-E
Australia
Changeling
Gran Torino
Milk

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Reader
Defiance
Frost/Nixon
Revolutionary Road
The Road

Best Original Score
Defiance
Australia
Changeling
Frost/Nixon
Revolutionary Road

Best Original Song
"Rock Me Sexy Jesus" - Hamlet 2
"Quantum Of Solace" - Quantum Of Solace

Best Editing
Australia
Changeling
Defiance
The Reader
The Road

Best Cinematography
Australia
Appaloosa
Defiance
The Reader
Revolutionary Road

Best Art Direction
Australia
Che
Defiance
Miracle At St. Anna
The Reader

Best Costume Design
Australia
The Duchess
The Fall
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Reader

Best Makeup
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Defiance

Best Sound Mixing
Defiance
Australia
Iron Man
Mamma Mia!
The Road

Best Sound Editing
Iron Man
Australia
The Dark Knight
Quantum Of Solace
Wall-E

Best Visual Effects
Speed Racer
Iron Man
Wanted

Best Foreign Language Film
The Flight Of The Red Balloon - France
Crossing - South Korea
Four Minutes - Germany
My Brother Is An Only Child - Italy
Summer Palace - China

Best Documentary Feature
Standard Operating Procedure
Encounters At The End Of The World
Shine A Light
Trumbo
Up The Yangtze

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2008 10:17 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I really felt for the 1st time the popularity in wins over pure performance. The biggest one that floored me was that Casey Affleck didn't win supporting actor for The Assasination of Jesse James.

BEST PICTURE
(I would love to see this win) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
But I think because I think it just looks really cool. I've read the short story and don't know if it'll be the best picture.

Bobby, you bring up Che constantly in your idea of nominations. Does it even have a distributor? Is there a release date yet for it? It's gotten buzz somewhere but I haven't heard anything really concrete about a release.

And you'll probably see Guillermo del Toro's name on the list for the next few years for costumes or makeup, looks like he's got a busy schedule of releases in the next few years.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-02-2008 12:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Che (or its other title: Guerrilla) stands a reasonably good chance of snaring lots of Oscar nominations if it is released to any theaters before December 31. That's a big "if." The movie is reportedly over 4 hours long. The final cut may not run that length.

Some are concerned this movie could be some monumental dud. However, Steven Soderbergh has put a hell of a lot of work into the movie and has a history of gaining lots of Oscar nominations. One year he was nominated for Best Director twice (got one for Traffic and the other for Erin Brockovich). Anyway, if he has a project thrown in by year's end, it's bound to attract nominations -unless the movie is just truly awful.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think IFC is distributing CHE. I heard that the plan is to release the whole thing in New York and L.A. in December in order to qualify for the Oscars.

Then in January, Part 1 will be released simultaneously in the top 25-35 markets and on pay-per-view.

Part 2 will be released the same way in February after the Oscar nominations are announced.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-03-2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Heath Ledger will get nominated, but will get beat by somebody. The fact that he's dead will get trumped by the fact that he was in a blockbuster. Just a guess.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Academy likes "important" movies... like MILK. That's why I chose Sean Penn.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-03-2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
I heard that the plan is to release the whole thing in New York and L.A. in December
Variety reports that "Che" will unspool as a two-parter with a 30-minute intermission when it gets released in December.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2008 03:30 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Potts
Last year I really felt for the 1st time the popularity in wins over pure performance.
Just last year you felt this for the first time? I started to get annoyed after 1999 when Russel Crowe didn't win for Insider (can't argue with Spacey winning for American Beauty), but then, to make up for it, they gave Crowe the win for Gladiator the following year over, among others, Tom Hanks for Cast Away.

The final straw for me was for 2001, when Denzel won for Training Day over Crowe again in Beautiful mind and Sean Penn in I Am Sam and Ewan McGregor wasn't even nominated for Moulin Rouge.

I'm not saying they don't get any right, but it does seem to be quite political.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: