Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Richard Wright of Pink Floyd .. passes on at 65

Author Topic: Richard Wright of Pink Floyd .. passes on at 65
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-15-2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Wright, of "Pink Floyd", passes on at the age of 65

Link

"Pink Floyd keyboard player and founder member Richard Wright has died aged 65 from cancer.

Wright appeared on the group's first album, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, in 1967 alongside lead guitarist Syd Barrett, Roger Waters and Nick Mason.

Dave Gilmour joined the band at the start of 1968 while Barrett left the group shortly afterwards.

Gilmour said: "He was such a lovely, gentle, genuine man and will be missed terribly by so many who loved him."

Writing on his website, he added: "And that's a lot of people. Did he not get the loudest, longest round of applause at the end of every show in 2006?"

Wright's spokesman said in a statement: "The family of Richard Wright, founder member of Pink Floyd, announce with great sadness that Richard died today after a short struggle with cancer.

"The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this difficult time."

He did not say what form of cancer the self-taught keyboard player and pianist had.

Wright, a founder member of The Pink Floyd Sound - and other previous incarnations including Sigma 6 - met Waters and Mason at architecture school.

Pink Floyd achieved legendary status with albums including 1973's The Dark Side Of The Moon, which stayed in the US album chart for more than a decade.

Wright, known as Rick earlier in his career, wrote The Great Gig In The Sky and Us And Them from the album.

Waters left the band in 1981, performing his last concert at London's Earls Court.

Wright, together with Gilmour and Mason, continued to record and tour as Pink Floyd during the remainder of the 1980s and into the 1990s, releasing their last studio album - The Division Bell - in 1994.

In 2005, the full band reunited - for the first time in 24 years - for the Live 8 concert in London's Hyde Park.

Wright also contributed vocals and keyboards to Gilmour's 2006 solo album On An Island, while performing with his touring band in shows in Europe and the US."

How many of us have the "Dark Side of the Moon" and "the Wall" album, along with many of their other great albums?

-Monte

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 03:02 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my former co-workers said her student body (class of 1980) voted "Another Brick In The Wall" as class song, but that somehow didn't make it to her their Yearbook.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-15-2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sad news.

I remember the Momentary Lapse of Reason album tour in the late 1980s. Pink Floyd sold out what seemed to be a week's worth of shows at Giants Stadium. Bruce Springsteen the only other act that drew crowds like that during that time. There's a LOT of Pink Floyd fans in the "Baby Boom" and "Generation X" age groups.

Guess I'll need to give my 24K gold Ultradisc II CD of Dark Side of the Moon another spin. Meanwhile I'm watching the Dallas Cowboys do their best to goof up the final Monday Night Football game played in Texas Stadium.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2008 05:31 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Wright is the subject of my favorite Pink story, as related by Nicholas Schaffner. During the final touches in the recording of "The Wall" Roger Waters insisted that Wright be put out of the band. Later, when the other three staged the incredibly complicated and expensive tour to support the album, Wright was the only member of the original band to make any money on the deal, as he was guaranteed a salary as a session player. The others lost their shirts.

I only love it when things like that happen.

R.I.P. Richard. I'll spend Sunday night listening to DSOTM with headphones while staring at my LavaLamp.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-19-2008 05:44 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I was a big, BIG Pink Floyd fan in my younger days (and still like the older stuff). Ever since my older brother brought home "The Dark Side of the Moon" in 1973, I was hooked.

Thanks for the memories.

RIP

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-19-2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got into Pink Floyd pretty late in the game, around the time "Animals" came out. Couldn't really get into their early work -- I think "Wish You Were Here" is their best album, although most of the post "Dark Side" records, even the later critically-hated ones, have at least a couple of great moments.

RIP, Mr. Wright and thanks for all the great music.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-20-2008 03:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got introduced to Pink Floyd in early 1973 with their dbl album "A Nice Pair" ...(a comp album of "Pipers at the Gates of Dawn" and "A Saucerful of Secrets") an 8track of it playing in the background at my friend's friends house while we were playing cards most of the night.

Then, they switched out the cartridge with a cartridge of the "Meddle" album and it became apparent that early Floyd material with 'Dark Side' was definitely capping off the classic progressive rock volcano....until "The Wall" album came out in 1979 and the movie in 1984 whiched uncapped that volcano and started the cycle all over again.

Their 1994 P.U.L.S.E. concert video was an excellent video with the group, sans Waters, doing the past hits.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-20-2008 01:50 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
until "The Wall" album came out in 1979 and the movie in 1984
The Wall movie came out in 1982. It was that movie that got me more interested in the Pink Floyd music and I saw them in concert in 1987. One of the best concerts I have ever seen.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 07:07 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a huge Pink Floyd fan for a really long time; I first heard them when I was rather young, and I think the point where I was officially hooked was hearing the synths on On the Run from Dark Side of the Moon.

Being a big keyboard/synth fan I've always really enjoyed his keyboards on all the albums. A Momentary Lapse of Reason is my favourite Floyd album, along with the Division Bell. I don't think those are their best known albums, but I think they have some of their best songs (High Hopes...awesome!) David Gilmours recent blu-ray disc Remember That Night is an outstanding release, and the best part is Richard Wrights organ solo on Echos right after the spacy section.

The only time I saw them in concert was The Division Bell tour at Yankee Stadium; awesome show to say the least! I wish I still had my SACD player hooked up for DSOTM.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-20-2008 07:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..whoops, yea, 1982 .. SAW it in 1984 as a midnite show.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: