Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » WTF is a Spike Lee "Joint"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: WTF is a Spike Lee "Joint"?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-19-2008 07:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is this "joint" nonsense? Does he think he's better than us?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-19-2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been asking myself that question for the last 20 years. You will not find an acceptable answer. The best answer I've heard in that timeframe was the "unfinished sentence" excuse, meaning "a Spike Lee Joint (venture/effort/production)"...but that's just as retarded and awful of an answer as his movies.

I stand firm that my original assessment of the term is that joint=shit.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2008 10:20 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that was weird, too.

My best guess is that he means 'joint' as in a place to hang out, like a pizza joint, or as in, 'come hang out back at my joint'.

So instead of making 'films', he makes 'joints': a cool place to go hang for a couple of hours where you'll feel right at home.

Or something like that.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-19-2008 10:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "joint" thing probably comes from the same place as another equally-annoying expression -- that something isn't released, it "drops." As in, the new Moody Blues album drops next Tuesday. It sounds dopey.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 01:00 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Spike Lee rolls really big ones? I dunno, maybe some smokers could help here? Joint makes me think of something where two things meet, like bones or something, or a place where people meet; "This is a happening joint"; Or lastly what the hippies smoke. "Patchouli is not a deoderant!" Damn kids and their tiedye and flowers.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-20-2008 11:22 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured it was a metaphor for how he wants his movies to have an effect on the viewer similar to smoking a joint.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
I always figured it was a metaphor for how he wants his movies to have an effect on the viewer similar to smoking a joint.

So no motovation to do anything and always hungry. hehe

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once asked a co-worker this same question and added, "...and why doesn't anyone else call their movies joints?" The answer I got was, "You are so white." (This answer came from a white guy, by the way.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps one of our African American members can elighten us as to the Spiksters jive.....

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-20-2008 06:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a marijuana reference.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 06:37 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Joint (anatomy), a location where two bones make contact
-Joint (audio engineering)
-Joint (building), a junction where building elements meet without a static load being applied from one element to another
-Joint (mechanics), where two rigid bodies move in relation to each other
-Joint (geology), a fracture in a rock mass which has no offset
-Joint (cannabis), a cannabis cigarette
-Joint warfare, warfare involving several military branches (services)
-Universal joint
-Woodworking joints, used to join pieces of wood
-Joint, a TV movie by Yaky Yosha
-A film by Spike Lee
-JOINT, the first opening to the anime Shakugan no Shana II

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-20-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spikey-poo has always seemed a bit racist to me.

Mike Sellars
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Mike Sellars   Email Mike Sellars   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a 'thing', like Jimi used to say... god, you people ARE so white!

[Razz]

Mike

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 04:56 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the Washington D.C. area the word 'joint' in used as a noun to replace words that users don't have enough brain power to think of at the moment. This usually comes from smoking too many 'joints' that directly affects the amount of brain cells needed to remember words. A good example that I can give - I overheard customers talking about a movie that they have not seen and the quote was "Ima gonna hafta go see that joint".

There is a lot of slang being used here that I have never heard anywhere else. Like "Triflin". Even on the radio here in D.C. they use these slang words quite often. It's almost triflin'....errr. I mean troubling. [Big Grin]

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Allison's Response.
quote:
-Joint (anatomy), a location where two bones make contact
-Joint (audio engineering)
-Joint (building), a junction where building elements meet without a static load being applied from one element to another
-Joint (mechanics), where two rigid bodies move in relation to each other
-Joint (geology), a fracture in a rock mass which has no offset
-Joint (cannabis), a cannabis cigarette
-Joint warfare, warfare involving several military branches (services)
-Universal joint
-Woodworking joints, used to join pieces of wood
-Joint, a TV movie by Yaky Yosha
-A film by Spike Lee
-JOINT, the first opening to the anime Shakugan no Shana II

It pretty much agrees with my note since most of the definitions boil down to a joint being where 2 things meet. I find other uses of the word silly. I do wonder, does Spike Lee have his films spliced with joint compound? ::Ducks: Ok! ok! I know that was bad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: