Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » So Long, Yankee Stadium. It's Been Wonderful. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: So Long, Yankee Stadium. It's Been Wonderful.
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-21-2008 11:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished watching the New York Yankees finish their last ever game in Yankee Stadium. They beat the Baltimore Orioles. The game was broadcast on ESPN-HD.

It seems almost unthinkable that Yankee Stadium is going to be demolished in just a few months. So much sports history has been made in that stadium, arguably more than any other venue in the world by a very wide margin. Not only did the Yankees play 100 World Series games there, the NY Giants played one of the best football games in history there, some big boxing matches were held there and also some major concerts. The venue is 85 years old, at least some of it (a major re-model took place in the 1970s). Hopefully at least some parts of the stadium will be carried across the street to the New Yankee Stadium.

Speaking of the new stadium it looks like it will be an awesome new home for the Yankees. It should be. The final cost is over $1 billion. Thankfully the new stadium will be called "Yankee Stadium" instead of some bullshit corporate named nonsense like "Chase Stadium" or "Nathan's Hotdogs Stadium" or "Tampax Tampons Stadium." Hopefully that could start some trend to get rid of the corporate crap with so many other largely taxpayer funded stadiums.

Anyway, it's kind of sad to see the old place close. I watched a few Yankees games there when I lived in New York so there are some personally sentimental feelings about the stadium closing for good. I really feel sorry for the blue-collar guy who has to make that first swing of the wrecking ball. They're probably going to have to import some guy from Boston to do the job, because any New Yorker is just going to be breaking his own heart to do the deed.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-21-2008 11:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert
They're probably going to have to import some guy from Boston to do the job
Hell, they can have me do it. I rarely give two shits about friggin' baseball. It really would have been best if the new place was called "Tampax Field".

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-21-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baseball may not seem quite as exciting as pro football or pro basketball, but the cool thing about baseball is you don't have to depend on your genetics to be good at the sport. To get anywhere with football you need the genes to be giant monolith. Basketball requires players to be abnormally tall. Baseball simply requires good eye-hand coordination and quick wits -both of which anyone can develop if he works hard enough at it. Baseball is the one truly democratic sport. Soccer (or "football") is about the only other thing that comes close although you need a marathoner's cardio genes to do well in that sport.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 11:49 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cough Barry Bonds Jason Giambi cough cough [Razz] [Big Grin] Baseball is the worst sport to watch, but was rather fun to play when I was a kid. Don't really care for the Yankees though. glad the Diamondbacks beat them in 2001. Good times...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-21-2008 11:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby
Baseball may not seem quite as exciting as pro football or pro basketball
Or competitive lawn mowing.

but the cool thing about baseball is you don't have to depend on your genetics to be good at the sport.
True, that's why they use steroids. The likes of Mark McGuire and Roger Clemens taught us that.

Baseball simply requires good eye-hand coordination and quick wits
Not to mention lots and LOTS of saliva. They are always chewing like their lives depended on it. Their jaws get more action than the most rented hooker on East Colfax. Baseball looks great when broadcast in HD since things rarely move... or happen at all. Therefore no compression artifacts!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-22-2008 12:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still seeing no credible arguments of why football, basketball, soccer, hockey or even freaking bull riding are better sports.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 12:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Baseball is the one truly democratic sport.
What about bowling? Anybody can do that. Even wheelchair-bound people can bowl. Not saying they're going to win any games, but "winning isn't everything," right? [Wink]

Was never much of a baseball fan myself either, but it is sad to see such a history-laden place hit the dirt. I still bet eventuall the new stadium will be called "Dr. Pepper Yankee Stadium" or similar.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 12:47 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, BEFORE THIS THREAD GOES ON A CRAZY OFF-SHOOT ON WHICH SPORT WE HATE THE MOST AND WHY....

Why did they build a new Yankee stadium anyway? It seemed like the old one was just fine, let alone all the history it had. If Wrigley Field is ever tore down and rebuilt 2 blocks away, I'm becoming a Cardinals fan in protest.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 01:22 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I felt the same way when they closed down Tiger Stadium. I was at the last game, behind home plate first row. I'm not a huge baseball fan but going to games is a lot more fun then watching them on TV. At least we had Tiger Stadium around for a long time before they tore it down for good.

Not a yankees fan but sad to see yankee stadium get tore down, with all the history that is in the building.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 02:58 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To get anywhere with football you need the genes to be giant monolith.
Or touch a Monolith? (2001 reference for those who are lost)
quote: Allison Parsons
Why did they build a new Yankee stadium anyway?
My thoughts exactly. The new one even looks smaller. It may have been some play on forced perspective from the camera angle in the clip I saw. But if it truly is smaller as it appears; You lose the history and sentimental value, for a smaller stadium? Maybe the new one has some new bells and whistles? Why not upgrade the old one with those bells and whistles?

quote: Mike Blakesley
What about bowling? Anybody can do that.
Bowling is more about who can afford the best/latest equipment, and best/most balls. All of the high rollers that come in to any of the centers I worked at all come in towing a train of ball carriers, wrist braces, rosin powder, shoe slide powder, expensive shoes with interchangeable slide and heel pieces, 5 different kinds of tape, 3 towels for their balls, 2 for them, alcohol, ball cleaner, laser guided optronic targeting resolution computer, low glare shades, spinning hubcaps for their ball carrier, sandpaper, and a microfusion powered beer cooler disguised as yet another ball carrier. I mean its rediculous. And they're the ones that gripe the most about the lane conditions if they're the least bit off due to high humidity or something. What a bunch of cry babies. My mother bowls with a hard rubber ball from the 60's, she doesn't complain. Though she does seem to hold high average in her league pretty consistantly. So I know it can be a spot of skill, but it usually just resorts to a competition of the deeper pockets (No pun intended). Sorry, I'll end rant here. Just someone mentioned bowling as a legitimate sport.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-22-2008 03:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still seeing no credible arguments of why football, basketball, soccer, hockey or even freaking bull riding are better sports.
Funny, the ONLY thing I see are arguments that are so credible that they should be made into law. Bull riding is better because it is over sooner. Baseball is too long. 9 innings? Should be five, max.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 03:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
Sorry, I'll end rant here. Just someone mentioned bowling as a legitimate sport
I've played in plenty of bowling leagues (almost made PBA tour in one year since I kept a 200 avg, but the complexity of the PBA sorta killed it for me..), but reading all the gripes, whines and rants about any sport above, I have one simple statement: Don't knock it until you actually try it.

Granted, it's boring to watch golf, baseball and a host of others, but when you get out there and actually swing a club, play 18 holes of 'pasture pool' and get great excersize of walking almost 3 miles in doing so, play in a city softball team and be the best team player in your position, go bowling for fun or as a sport as a member of a team and try to get in the money or points playoffs of the game, or even getting on a motorcycle and go cross country on it, yas better keep still about making remarks about it until you actually get your feet wet.

Back on topic: Heard that Yankee Stadium really has it's problems being of age, why the decision of building new. You have to realize that a stucture holding that many people for that many years, eventually will be getting tired.

-Monte

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 03:48 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So its no longer practical to maintain/upgrade? It's just simply too old? Wish I could've seen it in person.

And, yes, I bowl. I know how much of a workout it can be, since I slug a 16 pounder. :-)

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 05:47 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about the Bells and the Whistles now, and think Sky Boxes.

I was there the Sunday before last. The place still holds the charm of the game. [thumbsup] But beer is $9.50 [thumbsdown]

Watch next years prices to go UP! [beer] [beer] [beer]

The season ticket package plans are all changing. [Eek!]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 09-22-2008 07:36 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're probably going to have to import some guy from Boston to do the job, because any New Yorker is just going to be breaking his own heart to do the deed.

'

I wish.. [evil]

As far as bickering about spots, everyone has their favorite (or just plain hates sports in general). Personally, I am a baseball fan but I couldn't care less about the Yankees.. Hmm, look where I'm from and guess why...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: