Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Baggage claims against Airlines? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Baggage claims against Airlines?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever filed a claim with an airline? My luggage arrived in Egypt 4 days after I did and was missing all of my tools and my camera. I have to file a claim with Lufthansa online, but I doubt I will see anything.

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-23-2008 10:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I have ALWAYS had home owners insurance or buisness insurance I did once a long time ago file a claim with United and they did pay. For damage to a scope of mine. It took less than 30 days if memory serves me correctly. Just haunt them until you are satisfied that you have been properly re-imbursed. If the person you talk to doesn't satisfy you then talk to his/her supervisor and keep grinding them down to a pulp.

Mark

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 12:28 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once with KLM. It looked like they drove over my luggage with a fork lift! Anyway, they bought new luggage and paid for the damage to the contents of the luggage. Took a little over a month to get it all resolved.

Good luck.

Clint

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 01:45 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't you carry your valuables as part of your carry on allowance? I don't know how many/what kind of tools you are talking about, but it seems at least the camera you can easily bring with you onto the plane.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, The camera was a last minute, throw in the bag item. The tools I can't carry on. just basic hand tools.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 02:44 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always carry on my computer and cameras. It is a bigger hassle getting through security, since they want you to unpack all your lenses and crap, but there is no way in hell I'm trusting thousands of dollars of equipment to the TSA felons. They have got to be the biggest single group of idiots and criminals in the world, prisons and government buildings included.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 04:57 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 2 years ago I had a camera (fortunately not my good one which I was smart enough to carry on board), some tools, my cell phone charger, and an expensive scanner-radio dissappear from my 'locked' luggage.

About two weeks after I filed a claim with the airline, the items "mysteriously" turned up in a Fed-X package sent to me by the TSA. No explanation. Or apology, but I suppose that would have been expecting too much.

I still don't have any clue as to what happened or why, but I got everything back in good shape so at that point I didn't care.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 05:08 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago the Airlines cared. They now care only about their own greed. Delta damaged a bag of mine, that was almost new. They refused to give me anything, except a hard time. This is the kind of very poor business sense that brings about government regulations; then the greedy airlines will whine about having regulations placed on them. Too bad they are too dumb to figure this out before the regulations are placed on them.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-23-2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only had one experience with lost luggage. In Jan. '69 I was returning from a govt. sponsored trip to Southeast Asia, boarded a UAL flight in Seattle with stops in Chicago and at Dulles on the way to Richmond, all standby. Got bumped at Dulles, rented a car with 4 others to complete the final 100 miles. Went to the airport that evening, bag was no where to be found, UAL people were as helpful as they could have been. They supplied claims forms etc. and I went home. Sent forms the next day, got paid a couple weeks later. The bag showed up in Richmond almost 2 months later. They said the plane had gone a day or two later to a maintenance facility and my suitcase was not discovered until the aircraft made it's next paying flight when it was unloaded with everything else. The airline didn't ask for it's money back.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2008 09:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've probably been on maybe a couple dozen flights in my time...not that many, granted. I've experienced lost luggage 2x, and both times the bag showed up one day later.

The TSA is the biggest waste of taxpayer dollars in the history of the world. We were in Orlando last week and when we landed, there was a whole contingent of TSA'ers watching us come out of the jetway. As if we were going to attack Baggage Claim workers by flinging handfuls of stale airline peanuts or something.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2008 02:49 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never flown. Well nothing requireing aircraft of any sort. Bike got hit by car. Superficial damage to me and my bike. Somehow physics caused me to enter a sort of roll, so I rolled on the ground rather harmlessly. I started look for a body of water to walk on. LoL But I'd like to fly sometime, even just for the experience.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-25-2008 02:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike
The TSA is the biggest waste of taxpayer dollars in the history of the world.
Not only that, but they are a complete waste of time as well. Do YOU feel safer knowing everyone is required to remove their shoes? I sure don't. I'm more afraid of drunken pilots than I am of any potential terrorist threat. Just because some guy tried to light his shoes on fire we have the shoe rule (as well as the liquids rule). What if someone takes over a plane with their bare hands using their extreme martial arts skills or whatnot? Will everyone be required to be strapped to their seats, arms and legs included, from take off to landing?

More people are dying on buses than in planes, especially in Canada.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-25-2008 12:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure some suit in the TSA will eventually come to the realization: Ball point pens! Sharp object! Therefore, no pens or pencils allowed.

As George Carlin once said, "You could kill a pilot with a ball point pen."

As we were going thru the Orlando airport and looking at all the millions of dollars worth of equipment and all those TSAers standing around or poking through childrens' carryon bags, and all my fellow travelers taking their shoes off, the only conclusion I could come to is, the terrorists won this round.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2008 04:13 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the main reasons my brother-in-law ships his otherwise-would-be checked luggage via UPS or Fed-Ex. In the one instance he had to file a claim for damage, he was reimbursed within 3 weeks. Not saying it isn't possible, but he has never had a bag lost. The shipping expense is nominal considering the amount of hassle of checking bags. They're waiting for him at the hotel and he has UPS pick them back up when he leaves. Admittedly, he's never tried this for international travel, so that may be a whole different matter. I have used the idea only once, but it went off without a hitch. Obviously this requires planning ahead and shipping a few days before you leave unless you want to pay overnight fees.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-25-2008 05:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
the terrorists won this round.
They absolutely did, but only because we chose to lose.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: