Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oh no...it's Pirates Of The Caribbean 4! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oh no...it's Pirates Of The Caribbean 4!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 04:21 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link

September 26, 2008 - 9:11AM

Superstar actor Johnny Depp has signed on to three new Disney projects, including the fourth installment of the blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, the entertainment industry newspaper Variety confirmed.

Along with the reprisal of off-beat pirate Captain Jack Sparrow, Depp will star as the long-suffering Native American sidekick Tonto in a new version of the iconic Lone Ranger, produced by hit producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

If this wasn't enough for the 45-year-old actor, Depp will also play the Mad Hatter in director Tim Burton's adaptation of the classic Alice in Wonderland, using a mix of 3D animation and performance capture technology similar to that used for 2007's Beowulf.

The announcements for Ranger, Wonderland and "an additional role" were made before a crowd of roaring fans in Hollywood Wednesday when Depp appeared at the Walt Disney Showcase, a preview of the studio's productions over the next few years.

The Pirates 4 confirmation arrived early on Thursday through the actor's representatives in Variety.

The franchise has been a worldwide phenomenon since the first installment in 2003, earning more than $US2.6 billion ($3.1 billion) at the box office.

Fans are rejoicing the actor's reunion with director Burton, who has created the milestone projects of Depp's career, including his breakout role in the 1990 blockbuster Edward Scissorhands, and 2005's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Like many of Depp's roles, the new Disney projects seek to attract as many adult viewers as they do younger fans.

No premiere dates for any of the projects have been announced.

AFP

|  IP: Logged

Sally Ann Burgess
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2008 07:41 AM      Profile for Sally Ann Burgess   Email Sally Ann Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could watch Johnny Depp in anything, the Mad Hatter role sounds perfect for him.
But I'll be happy to see Pirates 4 so long as Keira and Orlando stay out of it!
George Clooney is allegedly in talks to play the Lone Ranger, now THAT I would definitely be excited to see...Johnny AND George, is it me or is it getting hot in here...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 08:28 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are NO bad Depp films! Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no big fan of the Pirates films (other than the grosses they generate). I hate when a studio puts out "the story is now complete" vibes like they did with Pirates 3, but then a year later...."oh, not quite complete yet."

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 10:07 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
There are NO bad Depp films! Louis
Redminds me of a woman that came in to see the first Pirates.

Her: I'm excited to see this. I didn't expect it to be good but all my friends said it was great.
Me: Johnny Depp is amazing in all his movies, even if the movie itself wasn't that good.
Her: I don't know. I didn't like "From Hell." It was really creepy.
Me: IT WAS ABOUT JACK THE RIPPER! What did you expect?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely hated Pirates 2, refused to watch 3 and will set part 4 on fire if I see a print (which I likely won't, fortunately).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-27-2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates 1 was pretty good. Pirates 2 was bad. Pirates 3 was terrible. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2008 12:07 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Depp could star in a burlap commercial and I would still like it. he has talent. I have followed him since Edward Sissorhands.

Lou

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2008 04:29 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Pirates 1 was pretty good. Pirates 2 was bad. Pirates 3 was terrible. I'm seeing a pattern here.
Well put. And it probably was because of that second one stinking that the grosses of the 3rd fell right back to where they were for the first. Its hard to predict how many dollards the 4th will make.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 04:40 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Tim Burton version of Alice in Worderland should be very interesting.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 05:31 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad for a little kid from a trailer park in Owensboro KY. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a law was signed many years ago that when Tom Burton directs a movie, Johnny Depp MUST be in it. I wonder if Burton could work without Depp? Didn't he try with some Willy Wonka nonsense, or was Depp in that, too?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2008 07:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, he was in it.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 01:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
There are NO bad Depp films!
I beg to differ.

quote: Mike Blakesley
I hate when a studio puts out "the story is now complete" vibes like they did with Pirates 3, but then a year later...."oh, not quite complete yet."
I hate to say this, but it was inevitable. The scene after the credits gave it away.

quote: Brad Miller
I couldn't agree with you more.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-13-2008 03:16 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...but what if Tim Burton directed the 4th installment?

Link to story

quote:

It seems as though plans for a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie are well underway with Johnny Depp receiving a reported US$59.2 million to reprise the role of Jack Sparrow. I don’t think the world was crying out for another pirate film, especially after the coma inducing At World’s End but recent developments have made the idea slightly more enticing.

Sources at cinemablend.com have reported that the one and only Tim Burton is being considered to direct the new entry into the billion dollar franchise. Although Gore Verbinski did a decent job, the idea of Mr. Burton’s gothic sensibilities combining with Mr. Depp’s piratey charm seems like a match made in heaven.

If that wasn’t enough, it seems as though Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley won’t be returning and will be replaced by Jack Sparrow’s brother. Rumour has it that Sacha Baron Cohen and Russell Brand are being considered for the role. It is too soon to tell but if the rumours are true, start saving your money kids because it could be one hell of a film.

By Sebastian Cordoba

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: