Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » RED CAMERAS "as good as film?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: RED CAMERAS "as good as film?"
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last few weeks I have seen some camera tests shot at Fox Studios. I even went and watched some of the "Bank Job" which is a feature film shot with this new 4k digital technology. All the footage had been transfered to 35mm film for projection.

Needless to say the on screen results looked impressive and quite film like to me. Anyone else impressed with this new technology?

|  IP: Logged

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At NAB in April I saw footage from Soderbergh's movies The Argentine and Guerrilla. Both were shot with the Red camera. One of them (I forget which) was shot using anamorphic lenses... which must have given a final, corrected aspect radio of, what, 32:9? Anyway, they were going to crop it off to 2.35:1 in the end. But the point was that he was trying to mimick the look of older war movies shot with anamorphic lenses. And it worked very well.

What I saw was projected digitally. It looked great.

I don't know how long this thread can remain on topic but I'll just say that the phrase "as good as film" is probably going to get us into trouble. I don't know that digital needs to look "like film" although, to my eyes, it does. For me, the bottom line is that digital is different but it still looks great. And Red is already developing their 5K camera.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-2008 07:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably aren't quite as good as film just based on exposure tolerances alone, but DAMN Red has a really nice camera for only 3 grand. Freakin' unbelievable.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 09:23 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can deck these things out to look an awful lot like film cameras and you can spend an awful lot more than the base price. National Lampoon did a feature here last month with a three-camera package.
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2008 10:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that test a week ago and projected via the new Christie M projector at the correct color temp and light level. IMHO the Red Camera actually did look better than film in many aspects... especially at bringing out details in the dark areas and there was no "Kodak Blue" in the dark areas at all. Hair had much more detail to it as well. Now I don't always believe tests like this unless they are done by some neutral entity, or in other words I can't say the filmed parts were done to the best of film's ability. For what its worth a couple of off screen pics...

-

-

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-28-2008 10:33 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Red has a really nice camera for only 3 grand. Freakin' unbelievable.
I've been watching this since Red One was still a rumor. It's designed specifically for Digital Cinema.

"Scarlet" is due out next year, base price $3,000. [thumbsup] (The Red One body is something like $12,000.)

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-28-2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing to keep in mind is that it is not all about resolution. It's about dynamic range. Film has a great deal of headroom in terms of color, whereas electronic (digital) imaging does not. This makes a difference with color correction. The raw footage shot on film can look pretty bad, and yet still be color corrected to look great. In digital, the color correction possibilities are much more limited.

The key for the RED camera is the price point. It's set at a level where independent film makers can at the very least rent the equipment at an affordable rate.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2008 12:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
You can deck these things out to look an awful lot like film cameras

-

No kidding... colored tape makes ANY camera look professional!

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
IMHO the Red Camera actually did look better than film in many aspects.
Who was running this demo? Was it.... RED? Also digital pictures of projected screens don't show much.

quote: Tim Reed
"Scarlet" is due out next year, base price $3,000.
Ahhhh, so it is the Scarlet. I was looking at that camera and thinking "No, it can't be this one. It must be one called "Zit Bleed Red".

quote: Mike Olpin
The thing to keep in mind is that it is not all about resolution. It's about dynamic range. Film has a great deal of headroom in terms of color, whereas electronic (digital) imaging does not.
Agreed, which is the basis of my very first comment in this thread. I really, really, really hate images that are blown out where all of the highlights are clipped or the blacks crushed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2008 12:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I really, really, really hate images that are blown out where all of the highlights are clipped or the blacks crushed.
You and me both! I've noticed an increasing trend in portrait photography to clip the highs and yet these photographers still label themselves as "professionals". [Roll Eyes]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2008 08:17 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The camera that was going to be the Scarlet isn't going into production after all, mostly because of the appearance of the Nikon D90 and the Canon 5D Mk 2. Although Red Digital isn't saying much, the rumor is that the whole Scarlet concept has been dropped in favor of something more a response to those cameras, one with interchangeable lenses, which the original Scarlet didn't have. They are also bringing out a 5K camera, the Epic, whose sensor can be retrofitted into the Red One.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-29-2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new design is still making its debut at NAB 2009, and still going to be called Scarlet.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2008 10:07 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...but, will it still meet that promised $3000 price point?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-29-2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Canon 5D Mark II has some exciting possibilities, but I have a feeling the camera will be pretty limited as far as video use is concerned. Reportedly the camera has HDMI and USB connections. Hopefully that might enable some direct-to-disc recording rather than having to rely totally on a flash card within the camera.

Good quality D-SLR camera lenses are relatively expensive, but not as expensive as lens packages for motion picture film cameras or broadcast quality video cameras (at least not in the most commonly used lens lengths). Obviously the line separating D-SLR still cameras and video cameras is going to get further blurred or completely eliminated. A relatively affordable camera that can work fully as a D-SLR and semi-professional quality video camera and use Canon or Nikon D-SLR lenses would be a pretty attractive product.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-29-2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Barry
will it still meet that promised $3000 price point?
Since that was one of its main selling points, I would think they'd keep it in that range.
quote: Bobby Henderson
The Canon 5D Mark II has some exciting possibilities, but I have a feeling the camera will be pretty limited as far as video use
I don't think a DSLR had anything to do with the re-purposing of Scarlet; no one's going to be shooting DC or HDTV content with a Canon still camera (some animation, possibly).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-29-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course not. Professional video projects will still demand fully dedicated video cameras to get the work done.

But it does represent an obvious shift in the direction of product development. Ultimately what happens with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II and other D-SLRs incorporating video capabilities is that in the long run consumers will have one device to do both video and still photography and get great results doing each. Right now no such product exists -at least not anything credible. Currently you have video cameras that do a terrible job taking still photos and various still cameras that do a crappy job handling video.

D-SLR lens systems have a great product range. Lenses on most consumer priced video cameras are not very good at all. The Red camera and several other D-cinema video cameras are able to use 35mm film camera lens systems. With D-SLR cameras growing in popularity, it only seems logical to develop a device that can use those kinds of interchangeable D-SLR lenses to do both video and still photography very well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: