Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What About The Story?

Author Topic: What About The Story?
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a lot said on this site and others about the superiority of digital over film and today’s special effects. My question would be “What about the story?”. You can present what you want in digital, digital 3D, with stereo surround sound and all the blow-'em-up and bloody ‘em up special effects and, except for the techno-geeks, a few curious and the morbidity-seekers you won’t do much business. Look at all the remakes and sequels. It appears “Hollywood” has run out of ideas. “Citizen Kane” voted the best picture ever made by the AFI was shot in black & white, a 133:1 ratio and mono sound. It’s time we put more effort to good writing and showing the few good films that are made and less effort into touting the technology and special effects.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 04:35 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're exactly right Robert...It shows in today's "legs" of the current crap...I mean films.

Julie Lucero
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Julie Lucero   Email Julie Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“Citizen Kane” voted the best picture ever made by the AFI was shot in black & white, a 133:1 ratio and mono sound.
In my opinion, that's a weak argument considering at the time of the production of CITIZEN KANE, the three technological features you cited were the standard techniques of the day. Had other technological options been introduced sooner (widescreen, stereo, 3-D, anything digital, etc.) who's to say the filmmakers involved with CITIZEN KANE and other classics wouldn't have used them?

I agree, though, that Hollywood these days has "lost the plot" when it comes to good storytelling...at least on a mass scale.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie, that isn't the point he's making. What he means is that even without modern features like surround sound, anamorphic widescreen, color, etc., it still kicks the crap out of most movies because it has a better story than ANYTHING coming out these days. I think a lot of the best movies are so great not in spite of comparatively limited technology but because of it. Movies like Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, Psycho, and possibly my personal favorite classic Nosferatu (I could go on and on), were made by people who did not have a crutch to lean on. These guys were hardcore about storytelling with whatever tools they had available, and they were awesome. Directors like Michael Bay, on the other hand, have every possible gizmo and almost infinite money and they produce crap consistently.

Basically, good directors can tell their story well with extremely limited tool sets, and bad directors work in Hollywood these days.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are dozens and dozens of movies with good stories released yearly, which sink. Meanwhile, craptacular special-effects-laden sequels make over $200 million. If you were an investor ready to sink $100 million of your stockholders' dollars into a movie, which way would you lean?

Not saying it's a good situation, but that's reality.

Don't lament the film director of the 21st century; lament the audience's tastes.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I do both. I don't see a lot of new movies. When I do, it is usually very limited release stuff. Happily, my new theater plays some indie movies.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-07-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me started, Robert. [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-07-2008 07:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had $100m, I wouldn't "invest" it in movies (which are almost invariably really terrible investments).

If I had to, however, I'd fund a bunch of low-budget ($500k-$5m) films, rather than one explosion-fest. If one were to invest in, say, 50 $2m films, it would only take a couple of hits to recoup the money, and the risk would be far less than blowing $100m on one feature.

Two more points:

- there have always been terrible films; I'm willing to bet that the proportion hasn't changed much over time and that there were more terrible films made in 1941 than in 2007 (of course, there were more total releases in 1941); of course, the good ones are what people remember

- terrible films get made because people buy tickets to see them; over the weekend, people spent nearly $30m to see "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and under $70k to see "Man on Wire"; guess which type of film is more likely to be made in the future?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-07-2008 09:19 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott is right on. That's an excellent idea of investing over several pictures... something like that never dawned on me (not that I could ever *do* it, mind you).
quote: Scott Norwood
terrible films get made because people buy tickets to see them
Speaking of which... I thought I'd seen them all: "Manos, the Hands of Fate"

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 09:35 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lifted from Wikipedia's writeup on "Citizen Kane":

quote:
Despite its status, Citizen Kane is not entirely without its critics. Boston University film scholar Ray Carney, although noting its technical achievements, criticized what he saw as the film's lack of emotional depth, shallow characterization and empty metaphors. Listing it among the most overrated works within the film community, he accused the film of being "an all-American triumph of style over substance... indistinguishable from the opera production within it: attempting to conceal the banality of its performances by wrapping them in a thousand layers of acoustic and visual processing". Of its director, he went on to state, "Welles is Kane — in a sense he couldn't have intended — substituting razzle-dazzle for truth and hoping no one notices the sleight of hand". He also criticized critics and scholars of allowing themselves to be pandered to, stating "critics obviously enjoy being told what to think or they'd never sit still for the hammy acting, cartoon characterizations, tendentious photography, editorializing blockings, and absurdly grandiose (and annoyingly insistent) metaphors....When will film studies grow up? Even Jedediah Leland, the opera reviewer in the film, knew better than to be taken in by Salammbo's empty reverberations." The Swedish director Ingmar Bergman once stated his dislike for the movie, calling it "a total bore" and claiming that the "performances are worthless". He went on to call Orson Welles an "infinitely overrated filmmaker".

Similarly, James Agate wrote, "I thought the photography quite good, but nothing to write to Moscow about, the acting middling, and the whole thing a little dull...Mr. Welles's high-brow direction is of that super-clever order which prevents you from seeing what that which is being directed is all about."

Good movies still get made. Once in a while we get a great movie. And anyway wouldn't it be boring if every movie tried to be "Citizen Kane"?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-07-2008 10:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody and nothing is without some positives and some negatives.

As to the filmmaking of Citizen Kane...there can be no denying...look at all films prior and most films after...it changed the style of film making forever...Wells' depth of field and how the shots were composed, how lighting was used. Technically, it is masterpiece of a pioneering level...regardless of one's impression of the story. You'll find a great many more people that like the story than those that don't like it.

My favorite film, "2001", is certainly scorned by many as boring...but again...technically it is certainly a masterpiece on many levels...I happen to like the story too.

I think some people scorn somethings just to be different. Nobody likes to be told what they should like.

Then again...look at the Star Wars series....The original film was technically the weakest in the effects department...but remains the most popular (my favorite was "Empire"). Every time I've run the Star Wars films...Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope)...ALWAYS outdraws the others. Why...it has to be the story. Not that it was necessarily new or phenominal...but it is hard to deny...that film is sure a lot of fun! You have heros, villians, action, love, music, effects...its got it all, with a feel-good ending that does not result in complete victory. And to think, it got made $9.8mil...even low cost in its day.

American Grafitti....made for about 3/4 of a million...captured a moment...or should I say a feeling that really resonated with its audience. Where were you in '62? I'll bet the bulk of its original audience remembered. That film certainly captured the feel of that era in many ways...again a very enjoyable film.

I remember seeing/hearing a David Lean speech shortly before his passing...he had words to the effect of "we must try to stop going to the same well for ideas." Which I think Hollywood is VERY bad at, nowadays. Sure, remakes can be found throughout movie's history...though normally, technology tended to be the excuse for the remake (silent versus sound or even perhaps B/W vs color). However, with rare exception, is the remake ever regarded as being as good or better than the original.

In my personal opinion...the story has to be the main thing...the music and effects (visual and audible) can then augment that to make something that was already great, even greater.

Steve

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Referring to the original post... end of the day, it is about the story.

Soon, you'll have reviewers walk the streets of any film festival and instead seeing booths of film cans you'll see the starving artists with hard drives.

Prices will change, digital will be the new medium, shit movies will still be made, and you'll still have to search for the good stuff.

Many actors have left the right coast "Hollywood" for more substance films.

If you're looking for when $200 million films are not action, popcorn scares, replacing well known with better actors, and gross exponentially more than their cost... don't hold your breath.

What other blockbuster '41 films can you rattle off? Honestly, talent will out. Despite the media it's produced on, the good will be remembered in 80 years and taught in sophomoric film classes and the mediocre and lesser will be forgotten.

It might be the "blow-'em-up and bloody ‘em up special effects" movies now that make Entertainment Weekly this week. But quality cinema will still be remembered by our grandchildren. Sorry, Adam Sandler.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: