Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Circuit City Closing 155 Stores (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Circuit City Closing 155 Stores
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2008 09:39 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning Circuit City confirmed weekend rumors that it will close 155 stores in the U.S. Those store closings are apparently taking place this week. The "store locator" feature on the Circuit City website has been updated to reflect those closings. There is also a PDF on this page showing the complete store closing list.

I'm a little surprised with the choices of two Circuit City locations that are closing in Oklahoma. The one in the Penn Square area is in a busy, upscale part of town. There's lots of other retailers there. The other location is a brand new store in Norman in the University Town Center development -a really nice looking strip shopping center. One of my friends bought a 52" Samsung TV and Denon receiver at that store this past summer. Metro Oklahoma City will still have two remaining Circuit City locations. I was kind of expecting the Wichita Falls, TX location to be on the hit list (the store where I bought my TV and PS3), but it's still open...for now.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-03-2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shit. There are still 14 stores near me according to the locater. Oh well, maybe next time.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they're closing every store in Atlanta. Rome, Columbus and Chattanooga, TN are the only locations that show up on a store search in that region.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High Prices, Abysmal Customer Service, Incompetent Sales People. This is not a surprise. What is a surprise is that Best Buy is doing well with the same business model.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-03-2008 12:45 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The other location is a brand new store in Norman in the University Town Center development -a really nice looking strip shopping center.
I was in that store a month ago. Was pretty dead.

I'm far too lazy to compare the store locator to the close list, but it looks like they're pulling out of Kansas City completely too.

I've been to the Shoal Creek (KC MO) store twice, both on Sunday afternoons, and there wasn't a single other customer in the store either time. Based on the parking lot, I wondered if the store was even open the first time.

That was a pretty new store too. REALLY poorly located...it was hidden back from Hwy 152 and not exactly easy to access.

I really don't like the current layout of Circuit City stores anyway. You'd think they'd have a specific area for AV receivers, but no...they just randomly set them around the TV area. Nothing else they do is much more organized. In fact, although I've been in a few Circuit City stores in recent years, I can't remember how long it's been since I actually bought anything at Circuit City, if ever.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one Circuit City store in Hawaii and it is located in Aiea near where I live and thank God, it will not be closing. There has been recent talk that another new store might be built at Kapolei but with the financial problems the company has plus the poor national economy, I doubt it will happen. It was a blow to lose Comp USA last year as well as Tower Video/Records before that but if we had lost our only Circuit, City store, all that will be left is our two Best Buy stores in my area.

The Hawaii store is always busy and is very well arranged. It is in a large two story buildingl all by it's self at the Pearlridge Mall and has a large television and computer hardwear/softwear display areas. They also have a very extensive DVD and CD section. I was told the Hawaii store is very profitable and that is probably the reason they are not closing it.

-Claude

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 01:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in CC in Springfield yesterday. I noticed their stock level of some items was very low, in fact there were some empty shelves & racks. That store isn't on the closing list though.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2008 01:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
High Prices, Abysmal Customer Service, Incompetent Sales People.
I often find the latter two problems at most electronic stores. Honestly, anyone making a significant electronics purchase would be far better off "doing their homework" and knowing exactly what they want to buy and for what price before ever setting foot into the store. Salespeople very often lack critical knowledge about products. Or worse, they're pressured by management to move crappy, hard to sell items off onto customers who don't know any better.

As for high prices, that really depends on the product. I purchased my HDTV from Circuit City because they not only matched or beat the prices from other stores they actually had the TV in stock. Best Buy and other stores didn't. I wasn't willing to put up with paying the same price to special order the item and wait weeks for it to arrive.

I'll probably end up having to buy the AV receiver I want from Ultimate Electronics. Best Buy tends to only have mostly mid-range to entry level receivers in stock.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2008 01:51 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing Circuit City might want to do is not give super secret bargains. There are countless times I've bought video games especially that are priced higher on the shelves than at the register. People would probably be more likely to buy at the lower prices but they'd never know the prices are lower.

Speaking of prices, I just bought a Mitsubishi WD-65735 DLP HDTV. I was going to buy it at circuit city for $1800 (including tax) but then I found it online for $1403 including shipping. Why would I pay $400 more for the EXACT same thing.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
Why would I pay $400 more for the EXACT same thing.
It's not the exact same thing. The physical store has to pay for a building and all its related expenses, and all the employees to sell the thing to you. Online, there doesn't need to be a building; the TV might be shipped from some central warehouse by some non-English speaking illegal immigrant making sub-minimum wage. And you did all the sales work yourself.

And there's nothing wrong with that -- but there is a huge difference between traditional retail and online in terms of costs.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 03:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to buy from Circuit City if you already know what you want and you know what price you want to pay.

If you are ready to buy a new TV and you have already done your homework... You know what Manufacturer/Model you want... You know what the going price for said make/model is, it's perfectly fine to buy from Circuit City or Best Buy, etc.

But, if you are expecting to get good advice on what to buy or want to know more about the product than is printed on the outside of the box, you're better off going elsewhere.

Also, don't be afraid to tell the sales people (or better, the manager) that you were prepared to buy the product if it was in stock at the store.

If I go to a store like that and they tell me, "No, we don't have it in stock but we can order it for you." my stock answer is, "If I wanted to order something I would have bought it on the internet!" Then I say goodbye and walk out.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 03:59 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CC's hard-sell on warranties really turned me off. I bought 4 HP notebooks from them, and put 3 on their "extended warranty". The slick salesman said they'd fix anything. Should have looked at the fine print. If you don't turn it on or take it out of the store, you're covered. I had a mouse button cover come loose. Sent it in. They sent it back, Scotch taped back on.

Sent it to HP (with a check). They sent it back with a new keyboard, a new battery and all current updates.

Live and learn, eh?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2008 04:10 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF?
Lubbock still has it's Circum City store...for now.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 04:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that historicaly CC sold repops and other returns as new. Usually only selling last years model. I didn't know myself until I showed up at their store with Consumers Reports in hand. CR showed models 341, 351, 361; the store stocked model 241m 251, 261: last years model. Louis

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-03-2008 04:55 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Be aware that historicaly CC sold repops and other returns as new. Usually only selling last years model. I didn't know myself until I showed up at their store with Consumers Reports in hand. CR showed models 341, 351, 361; the store stocked model 241m 251, 261: last years model.
Was that CC policy, or some rogue store manager(s)?

As someone who has recently shopped hard for 2 new TVs, I've found the CC here to consitently have the latest-greatest models of everything I'm interested in. I can't say they don't also have older model stuff out on the floor, but clearly "old stock" is not a 100% rule.

CC and BB are great places to shop, if you come in armed with your own knowledge. If you're depending on their sales staff to educate you, buyer beware. You could get lucky and get a knowledgeable salesperson, but you probably won't.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: