Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gun sales increase... Is it panic? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gun sales increase... Is it panic?
Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my roommate comes in last night saying he wants to buy a couple of guns. I kinda laughed it off, but he has a family with deep pockets got a tongue ring with just as much thought so I decided to listen.

I realize this borders on political, so I'll keep it brief and stick to opinions and guns. He told me Obama will be increasing gun taxes so that's why he wants a few (then rattled off a few manufacturers).

I searched CNN and all I could find was this article about a gun store owner receiving more business.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/11/obama.gun.sales/index.html?iref=newssearch

Is all of this just scared people buying without looking at facts? As far as I can tell our pres-elect is pro 2nd ammendment.

I went to Bud's Gun Shop and a pop up informs me that they're receiving a huge increase in sales and to expect things to be slow.

Any reason for this hype?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-16-2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the interest of keeping this non-political, here is my non-opinionated observation from watching and reading the news: A lot of people think Mr. Obama will try to put more gun restrictions on, and/or raise taxes on them, therefore they're buying more guns than usual. There are also people who think the economy is going to get so bad they will need guns to protect their property.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2008 03:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Obama's going to have time to even think about that... There was a guy runnning for US Senate in Wyoming that was a gun control freak... I saw hiz ads on the toobe while traveling around over there, needless to say that is the wrong state to run in and try to talk about gun control... He didn't come close to winning.

Tyler... I think what you meant to say is that he has more dollars than sense!

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-16-2008 05:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just a lot of people reacting to a stereotype attached to the party beginning with "D". Oklahoma's Governor is a member of that party, but is in favor of gun ownership. Lots of other members of that party are as well.

About the only thing I've seen attributed to the President-elect in relation to new gun legislation is raising taxes (possibly by a lot) on ammunition. IMHO, that ploy doesn't make any sense. It would just encourage a lot more gun owners to get reloading equipment.

I agree the act of drafting new gun control laws ranks way down on the list of priorities for the incoming administration. Chances are any new gun laws will be drafted by state governments, which is already the case. More conservative states (like Oklahoma) are far more gun-friendly while states like California have very restrictive laws already.

I'm going to get a conceal carry permit pretty soon, but not because of any change in political leadership. Times are getting tougher. City governments have less and less money to pay police officers, fund jails and prisons, etc. There's less money for programs in rehabilitating people addicted to harmful, illegal drugs. We may see a serious uptick in crime rates. Lawton, OK isn't all that dangerous a town, but it was a pretty rough place in the early 1970s when the local economy was in the toilet.

It's already up to any individual to protect himself. Through my own experience, I know cops aren't going to be there to prevent you from being robbed. They're going to be there to investigate the crime after it happened. At best, a strong police presence will only discourage crime. People have to make smart choices to avoid higher risk situations. With police departments being cash strapped those smart individual choices will be more important than ever.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-16-2008 11:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been planning to buy a new rifle like an AR-15 for some time, now. I have finished my 10-22 and, as much as I like to shoot it, I want to build another gun.

Recent events have only spurred me on to buy it sooner rather than later.

No, I don't think the new President will immediately move to outlaw guns. He's got bigger fish to fry, just like others have already said.

However, I do see a more liberal-leaning government ahead which is more willing to dabble in "social engineering", promote its own agenda over the will of others and, generally, create a whole series of laws which, by themselves, do not outlaw guns or anything else but, overall, tend to restrict people's freedoms in the name of "The Good of the Many."

The problem is twofold. First, once the government takes freedom away from the people it rarely gives it back without some sort of upheaval. Second, changes like that often happen gradually so that, by the time people realize their freedom is gone, it's too late.

In short, it's a slippery slope. Once we start down that path, it will be very hard to return.

To be honest, I don't see EITHER major American political party, Democrat OR Republican, as looking out for my interests. They are BOTH suspect and I don't trust either party to take care of the country's problems in an effective way. The government looks out, purely, for its own interests.

That's why I'm moving my time line forward.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 08:52 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Randy. Something like the Brady Bill could easily get reinstated. I would, however, be more concerned about the newly elected in your own state over federal. Most gun restrictions come at the state level.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Through my own experience, I know cops aren't going to be there to prevent you from being robbed.
They are not obligated or expected to. I agree that we are all inherently responsible for our own safety. Relying on law enforcement to prevent you from being robbed is like relying on your janitor to ensure you are serving quality popcorn. That is not their job and all they can do is look at what is left behind.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I think it's just a lot of people reacting to a stereotype attached to the party beginning with "D". Oklahoma's Governor is a member of that party, but is in favor of gun ownership. Lots of other members of that party are as well.
There's also the thing that if a person says "gun control" to a group of people in a big city they generally picture getting guns off the street and out of the hands of criminals whereas if you say "gun control" to a person in a traditionally hunting area that person might picture someone trying to keep him from having his hunting rifle.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-19-2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
They are not obligated or expected to.
Actually, a lot of police departments like to throw around that "we're protecting the public" vibe. Some departments even plaster that "to protect and service" stuff on their patrol cars. Thankfully none of the ones in this region stoop to that nonsense.

On the topic of gun control, it's unfortunate that the polar, all or nothing sides of the argument get the most talk time on TV and propel the most legislative effort. I have no problem with reasonable regulation, such as a background check when you're buying a handgun. I have no need for a military assault style rifle, but banning those kinds of weapons won't make a dent in street crime since they're not nearly the most common kinds of guns used in street crime. It's those cheap, little small caliber jobs that are doing the most damage.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2008 08:50 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just meant that law enforcement officers are not required to protect you or enforce the law. In other words, if you get robbed, you cannot sue the police for not stopping the robbery or if they see someone speeding, they are not obligated to give that person a ticket. I agree with you about their marketing schemes. I don't particularly care for the "Dare" program or the "To Protect and Serve" slogan, but I know most cops are in it for the right reason. At least around here they are. The hypocritical thing to me is people complain and whine about cops until they need one. Then they complain and whine about what took them so long.

In general (and this is real obvious) gun control laws by definition only restrict people who obey the law. Criminals by definition do not obey the law. Keeping that in mind, if anyone can make a convincing argument for any gun law - any law at all - I'm listening.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Potts
As far as I can tell our pres-elect is pro 2nd ammendment.
How did you got that impression? I am here in Pennsylvania "clinging to [my] guns and religion."

quote: Tyler Potts
I searched CNN
Well there's the answer to my question.

[ 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Joe Tommassello ]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 10:40 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
How did you got that impression? I am here in Pennsylvania "clinging to [my] guns and religion."
How did you get the impression he was wrong? Obama hasn't made any indication one way or the other. I think he's savvy enough to understand that gun control laws wouldn't go over well and would only increase the panic.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-21-2008 10:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the campaign, the President-elect said during one particular speech that he was in favor of gun ownership. I can't remember which one specifically. But he also did say something about a tax on ammunition during another speech before becoming a presidential candidate.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 11:36 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, they may both be right. The president-elect has been both for and against the Constitutionality of the DC gun ban.

I think there is an underlying panic among certain quarters of the population for various reasons. At least that's what I'm hearing from folks that I talk to. Not just panic about the pres-elect, but also about the world's economy. I'm not sure that I agree with it all yet, but I am certainly watching a lot of things a lot more closely than I normally do.

It never hurts to stay informed and educated.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
How did you get the impression he was wrong?
Like Mark Marshall said above...it never hurts to stay informed and educated.

Go to Google, click the "News" option at the top of the page and search for "Obama gun ownership" and it will be abundantly clear. Funny...none of those links lead to CNN!

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 01:50 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe its coming off wrong, but I was looking for a legitimate source of news as to why my roommate heard he needed to buy guns now, and when I searched CNN (which last I checked is still pretty reliable with news) I got nada. I did find this before CNN though:

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

And it was pretty middle of the road. Can you enlighten me Joe on your CNN jabs?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: