Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Color laser printer for 11x17 paper? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Color laser printer for 11x17 paper?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-18-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for one but of course, don't want to have to sell the farm to get it. I found one at hp.com but it's over 2 grand.

Most of the ones I've found will print on legal-size, but not the larger 11x17.

Anyone ever seen one of these animals that's not so expensive? Any recommendations would be great.

|  IP: Logged

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike I sent you an email to the address associated with your account on the forum.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2008 09:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping the low-cost 11x17 printers a secret Sean?

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 02:28 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no I have a printer Mike might be interested in, but was concerned that soliciting a transaction in this forum is against the rules. Just trying to play it safe.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 07:01 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
11x17 ledger paper is similar to A3; it's slightly narrower and longer, but the printers will take either size, as with letter and A4.

These printers are always going to be significantly more expensive than the smaller ones because the market for them is much smaller. The price you quote is less than I would expect to pay for such a printer here, but then most things are more expensive here.

How much printing do you intend to do? Remember that as a gereral rule the cheaper the printer the more expensive it will be to run; some cheap printers are very expensive to run, and will soon have cost more than the initial saving by buying a cheaper model. Always check the costs of consumables carefully before buying a printer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of surprised they're not more popular. I use an inkjet to print posters and signs and such on 11x17...looks way better and more noticable than legal or 8x11 paper. But, the ink costs are ridiculous, print time is awful slow, a drop of water ruins them, etc.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an opinion, but there is no logical reason at all why a 11X17 printer should cost 10x that of a standard printer -- it's just the carriage travel has to be extended to accomodate the wider paper. Seeing as how they are capable of churning out a dozen new printers models every 6 months and retool them so that none of the cartridges fit each other, it doesn't seem beyond their ability to manufacture a printer with a 11in width at a reasonable price. But that's just me.

I am printing 27x 42in posters with a standard inkjet printer using the "tile" feature; I am have the problem Mike mentioned -- if any water from a strong rain leaks into the display cases, the ink runs. Anyone know any way of setting the ink product so it's somewhat waterproof or at least water resistant -- perhaps a spray coating of some sort?

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 01:09 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a perfectly good reason, Frank. Economies of scale. Printer manufacturers can't spread the fixed costs of the 11x17 printers and supplies over as many units as they can with narrow carriage printers.

At least for HP cartridges, they're shared among many different printer models. The biggest reason for the proliferation of different non-interchangeable cartridges is that, at least for most inkjets, is that the cartridge contains the print head, so each new generation of printers also brings a new cartridge with it.

To protect your prints you can use a spray varnish, like this one (just an example I found on a quick web search): http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/LR4903/

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 01:11 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This won’t fix the inkjet factor but you can buy ink that is waterproof for these printers and they are extremely cost effective. We print full color 3x4' back-lit posters with ours and we figure it’s about $3.00/sheet with the darkest images.

Hp Designjet

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 01:12 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really a supply-and-demand problem. And you get it from two axes. More and more color printers are shifting to away from laser (to ink jet and solid ink), and consumer/home office printers are also less likely to support 11x17.

Depending on your requirements, you might be able to find something used. About once a month someone gives away a color hp 8500 or 4500 around here (though often there's something wrong with them...).

-jhawk

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Minichino
The biggest reason for the proliferation of different non-interchangeable cartridges is that, at least for most inkjets, is that the cartridge contains the print head, so each new generation of printers also brings a new cartridge with it.
That's a bullshit reason. They could easily make different printers all use the same cartridges. Print head technology doesn't change THAT often or that much.

Many HP printers used the #45 Black cartridge for several years before some guy in Marketing woke up and said "Wait a minute..." It's the old razors and blades thing: Give away the razors (printers) and make the money on the blades (ink). If people even gave half a thought to how much they pay for a gallon of ink, they would never gripe about gas prices.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 04:01 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 11 x 17 sized sheets are from the professional printing business. By printing two 8 1/2 x 11 sheets on one sheet and then making a single cut it is possible to double the output of an offset press instantly. This is especially valuable when doing two sided copy as it reduces the press work greatly.

Prints Plus, the local blueprint, plotter and copy center has a special machine that prints our one sheets in full color on non-paper stock (even foam core)with waterproof and less fading ink. It is far less expensive than owning the big printer for us to have them do our posters since we can eMail the copy to them and pick it up an hour later.

The leased and networked large sized laser printer is very useful for a larger company where it can be used for one off proofs and small runs before sending the copy to a printing house for multiple copies, folding or binding.

KEN

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You are absolutely correct but what does happen is the print heads have a finite life span... I've had some of mine re-filled numerous times. Before they fill them they test them... and on numerous times the print heads were found to be bad.

Really, Just have it done at Office Max or Office Depot for a buck a page... They have 40K dollar Laser printers that none of us would consider owning. The qwality will be lots better than any home type printer could muster up....

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2008 04:50 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I have a bit of a conflict here because I work for HP, but the print head technology does change. Smaller nozzles and better droplet control improve print quality and speed. It doesn't do anyone any good to obsolete old ink carts with a new printer for no reason, especially if the price per page doesn't go up.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2008 09:46 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not to knock HP, but we bought a new DeskJet and had a supply of carts left over from one of our earlier Deskjet printers. The carts, although they looked identical, wouldn't go all the way into the new printer. I inspected the older carts very closely and discovered that there was a plastic protrusion on one side of the cartridge that prevented it from sitting in the printer. I used a grinder in the shop to drind the protrusion down. Long story short, we were able to use our six older cartridges in the new printer without any degradation of the printing quality whatsoever. So it seems to me that those plastic protrusions were there for one purpose only -- to insure that the customer needs to buy new cartridges with his new printer. And I am sorry, but that IS a fairly unethical way to put more money in the pocket of the manufacture while short changing the customer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: