Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney re-working "Beauty and the Beast" in 3-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Disney re-working "Beauty and the Beast" in 3-D
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-20-2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this on the radio today. It's going to come out in 2010. Very sad. I would love to see this movie on the big screen again, but not wearing those damn glasses.

They should do "Fantasia." At least then everyone could get stoned and it would have a point.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-21-2008 02:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't see the point of this.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 02:40 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I really don't see the point of this.

Joe.....say it loud, say it proud. Say it with a Mickey Mouse lisp in the side of your cheek.... MONEY! When has it ever been about anything else with the Big Rodent?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 03:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Walt's flipped in his grave so many times over what has happened to the Walt Disney studios over the years, that he has drilled through his casket and out of the cemetery.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-21-2008 08:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All three toy stories are also being reworked in 3-D.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
I think Walt's flipped in his grave so many times over what has happened to the Walt Disney studios over the years, that he has drilled through his casket and out of the cemetery.
Isn't he cryogenically frozen and stored under Epcot Center or something like that?

As for Disney movies being converted to 3D, they need to get to work on FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. Robert Rodriguez said he always wanted to shoot it in 3D, and now he'd like to see it converted.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 10:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
All three toy stories are also being reworked in 3-D.
Yeah, but that makes a little more sense, because there is a new TS movie in 3-D to go along with them. "Beauty" is an adademy-award-nominated work of art and shouldn't be messed with. It's great the way it is. That's just my 2¢.

quote: Mike Schindler
Isn't he cryogenically frozen and stored under Epcot Center or something like that?
No, Disney was buried conventionally in California. The whole 'frozen' thing is one of those myths that won't go away.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 10:25 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Disney was buried conventionally in California. The whole 'frozen' thing is one of those myths that won't go away.

True. It's Ted Williams that is cryogenically frozen.

quote: Mike Schindler
As for Disney movies being converted to 3D, they need to get to work on FROM DUSK TILL DAWN.
I'll be in line with you for that one Mike. QT also said he'd open up a chain of Titty Twisters just like the one in the film if the opportunity presented itself. It'd be a good place to eat after the movie!

FYI - if you have a Blu-ray player the FDTD disc from Canada looks and sounds great but has none of the extras from the LD and DVD versions.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just got that disc. I'm very happy with it too. Though it would have been nice if FULL TILT BOOGIE had been included.

I'm okay with the TOY STORY movies being converted as well, because there is direct creator involvement. Is that the case with BEAUTY AND THE BEAST?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with re-doing the Toy Story movies in 3D, on one condition: They move the virtual camera in all of the shots and re-render the entire movie.

If they're wasting time trying to fake the other eye, that would be a huge shame.

As for Beauty & The Beast... the only way they can re-do it in 3D would be to fake the second eye, which so far has always included various levels of suckyness.

Beauty & The Beast was fine the way it was. They already screwed it up once for the DVD release. Now they want to screw it up again. What a bummer. [Frown]

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 01:19 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Beauty & The Beast was fine the way it was. They already screwed it up once for the DVD release.
I suppose I could walk to your office to ask you this quicker than type it but...

How did they screw it up for the DVD? I never bought it so I don't know. I do remember the lame half-finished Laserdisc version.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe my memory is bad on this, but I swear the colors were tampered with on the DVD "original theatrical" version. After showing the movie for nine months, I thought I had a pretty good recollection of the color palette. But what's on the DVD was shockingly different to me as soon as I saw it.

Also, the dialog was changed slightly. There is one line in particular where the Beast stuttered and said "You wan-wanna stay in the dungeon?" That's gone from the "original theatrical" version on the DVD, and it's also gone from the "work in progress version" although it was on the original "work in progress" laser disk, and it was also on the original VHS versions if I remember correctly. The DVD is the first time I didn't hear it.

Maybe I'm picky, but if you're gonna say "original theatrical" then make it so. Clean it up? Sure. Don't tamper with the colors and start changing the soundtracks. Disney is of course famous for this, which is a bummer.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with "You wan-wanna stay in the dungeon?" I ask all my dates that!

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
No, Disney was buried conventionally in California. The whole 'frozen' thing is one of those myths that won't go away.

Huh? I always heard that he's being kept in a state of suspended animation. [Razz]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-21-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hyuk hyuk hyuk... [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: