Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My Web Pages Come up .uk Instead of .com

Author Topic: My Web Pages Come up .uk Instead of .com
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2008 10:11 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I noticed recently that my Google page kept coming up showing me in the UK. I just realized that all of my searches on it are also returning only UK sites. I tried purging my history, temp files and cookies but that didn't fix it. I also noticed tonight that Amazon comes up with a UK deisgnation as well. Anyone have any ides of what the heck I did wrong and how I can change it?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-30-2008 10:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What web browser are you using? IE? Firefox? It sounds like a spyware infection or some sort of browser hijack.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-01-2008 02:35 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this happening from when you browse the internet from work? Because there are many cases where a company gets an ISP from some other country and they end up with an IP address that indicates they are from that country and google by default looks at your IP to determine where you're from and customize from that.

And you can go to http://www.google.com/intl/en/

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2008 06:40 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joshua

Welcome back to the British Empire! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had that issue too.

I use firefox, and last night google was coming up as google FRANCE.

Last week I kept getting google GERMANY for a couple of hours.

no idea why.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-01-2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=873

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2008 08:25 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I have ever seen that is when I used the Onion Router. I don't use that anymore. To much lag time while my IP hops across the globe!!!!

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
It sounds like a spyware infection or some sort of browser hijack.
Why on earth would a browser hijack or spyware infection do this? Please, don't take any offence Bobby, it's not directly aimed at you, but I'm sick of the amount of times somebody has a simple problem with their computer system and somebody thinks it can be explained away by saying 'oh, you probably have a virus'. A bit more lateral thinking is required. As in this case, a more plausible explanation would be the ISP issue. You really have to think what a malicious coder would gain by redirecting your browser to google UK or Amazon UK. Not a lot really, although there is the possibilty that you have been cookie stuffed but having said that you deleted your cookies, then that seems unlikely.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2008 06:31 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of your help guys. I clicked a link in the lower right hand corner of Google.uk that took me to Google.com and it has been working since.

My question is, why did it ever do that in the first place? My ISP is Time Warner Cable so I don't know why they would show up as the UK.

quote:
Welcome back to the British Empire!
LOL! The company I work for is an international company and the owner and head engineer are both British. I was at our home office in Toronto last week and was joking with them about this same thing. Our new guy from Australia was there too and we got on the topic of British influences on their culture. You guys really did have a far reach considering the size of your country. Hong Kong, South Africa, US, Australia and I'm sure there's twenty more countries that I'm forgetting. You guys were trying to take over the world. [Wink]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2008 03:52 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot India, and large tracts of the Middle-East and Africa. The Empire extended over 1/4 of the Earth's land mass at its height. Impressive, however that part of our history has many negative aspects.

I have had the reverse problem, my iGoogle directs to the UK when I want it to go to the US version for your news and sport, did the same as Joshua and it seems to be working OK now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: