Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Type 2 Diabetes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Type 2 Diabetes
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-06-2008 06:52 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here have type 2 Diabetes? What treatment do you have for it, is it just a question of diet, or do you have to take medication? I believe Insulin injection is not common with type2; is this correct?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-06-2008 08:44 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diet only here, thank God Good control for 10 years; I am 60. Type I needs Insulin or other medication. Louis

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-06-2008 08:54 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus_type_2

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-07-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

How much does it restrict what you can eat?

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2008 07:46 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was diagnosed with type2 I thought that the only thing I could eat was salad.

The truth is as long as you cut out the surgery sweet food & eat a good range of fruit & veg there is not a real amount you will need to change.

The only things I cut from my diet not being a big sweet fan was having sugar in my tea & I stopped eating microwave meals (those things are so full of Sugar & salt they can give you diabetes alone).

A good guide that the diatetion told me was if any food you eat excluding fruit & veg , exceeds 5 Grams of sugar Per 100 Grams avoid it.

Since I have had type 2 I have lost 2 1/2 stone & am a lot fitter than I have been in a long time.

There are several types of medication before you need to inject & hopefully you will never need to, as there are new medications coming all the time.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-08-2008 08:15 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Worthing
The only things I cut from my diet not being a big sweet fan was having sugar in my tea & I stopped eating microwave meals (those things are so full of Sugar & salt they can give you diabetes alone).
I pretty much live on microwave meals and takeaways, partly because I just feel permanently too tired to actually cook anything.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does take will power, but in the end the benefits are well worth it.

If you take the time to cook a meal make it twice as big as you would need it, you can freeze half of it for another day.

Then when you come home from work & do not feel like cooking you can heat one up in the microwave.

This means you know what is in it & you are not eating junk.

I still have a takeaway every now & then.

Also due to my job I have to eat out quite a lot, but instead of chips or Rice I will have a baked potto or even a salad.

I guess from the wording your post you have just been diagnosed with type2, but it is not the end of your life. It is just another stage.

Thanks to modern medication diabetes is more of an small inconvenience rather than a life threatening illness.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-08-2008 11:00 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(those things are so full of Sugar & salt they can give you diabetes alone).
Ummm... no.

Sugar doesn't cause your cells to not respond to insulin correctly.

quote: Stephen Furley
I pretty much live on microwave meals and takeaways, partly because I just feel permanently too tired to actually cook anything.
If you have to do that... try finding out if there are any "health food" grocery stores around your area and you might be able to find healthier microwave meals.

And if it really comes down to it (due to being so tired), at least here in the States we have a thing called "Meals on Wheels" where you pay a fee per month and people bring a meal to your place for you. You could look into something like that and request meals that are ok for someone with type 2 diabetes.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2008 07:52 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, my wife has type 2.
ANY exercise you can accomplish can do lots of people wonders in controlling it.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2008 06:59 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
at least here in the States we have a thing called "Meals on Wheels" where you pay a fee per month and people bring a meal to your place for you
Yes its called Dominios

With the rate people in the US are getting Type 2, that will help get someone else to do it for you.

why not just cut out the middle man & go to the drive through window @ Mcdonald,s

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-10-2008 10:26 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its called Dominios
Huh? You could've fooled me. I swore it was called Meals on Wheels

But what the hell would I know? I only volunteered for the organization.

Seriously, if you had read the entire message, you would've noted how I indicated that said organization would likely be able to tailor meals for someone who has type 2 diabetes. How you derived from that that they were instead bringing you stuff from Dominos or McDonalds is beyond me.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2008 12:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, were you just diagnosed with type 2. I have had type 2 for four years now. The toughest time is around the holidays because there is so much richer foods around you. Be careful with certain types of foods they claim as healthy or fat reduced. They add sugar to compensate for the lack of something else. Understand that Diabetes does not have to run in the family to get it. Other factors can cause the issue to occur. In my case it was do to having High blood pressure and high Cholesterol at a young age. basically those two issues I inherited from my parents. My doctor told me I could have been fit as a fiddle thin as a rail but I still would have become diabetic, it just would have taken longer for it to show up. He said they still don't understand why this happens. Don't let the issues of diabetes get you down. People with diabetes are more prone to depression. Insulin can be used to treat type 2 diabetes. Normally though they do not use it unless other forms of control are not working. They have oral medications that are used to help keep it under control. The A1c test is the important test to have done at least twice a year. It gives the average glucose levels for a 120 day period based on a cells life span. Here in the US keeping it 6.5 or below is the goal internationally they use 7.0 as the number to stay below. That's what My doctor told me anyway. Insulin is the key to unlock the cells ability to use the sugar in your body. your body can either become insulin deficient or resistant. Not having enough insulin to unlock the cells or some cells will not react to the insulin itself. By controlling the sugar intake will allow the cells that can react to insulin the ability to use the sugar without building up large amounts in the body. Just remember every one's body reacts differently so follow your program closely and you will be fine. Check your blood sugar often.

The first thing I did was quit drinking soda pops and only drink diet when I do.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-10-2008 01:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. As of a couple of days ago it's now official, yes I do have type 2. I think I've probably had it for a long time. For about 2-3 years I've been wondering why I felt so incredibly tired all the time, the thirst has been going on almost as long, and I've had circulation problems in my feet and hands for several years as well. I've thought for some time that might be wrong, and when I looked up the symptoms on a web site I had all but two of them, and one of those two only applies to women. I wasn't aware that having to pass water frequently, and infections that take a long time to clear up were symptoms, but I've had both of those. I think the very bad headaches which I was getting last year were due to a sinus infection, and that took over a year to clear up.

I put off going to a Doctor as long as I possibly could, but if the tiredness gets much worse then I wouldn't be able to work, so I really had to go in the end. Before I went I got a couple of urine tests from the Biology technician at the College. I took these on two different days, the first was inconclusive, but slightly high, the other rather higher, but still not at the far end of the scale, so I was pretty sure that this was the problem before I finally went to the Doctor.

I don't think I've got it too badly; partly because of the tests that I took, and partly because if I've managed to have it for several years without treatment, then I don't think it can be that bad; I'm not in a coma or anything. They're sending me an appointment to see a dietician.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-10-2008 01:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there Stephen. Once things get under control you will start to feel better. It is very important now that you make all of your doctor appointments and blood checks.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-10-2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you really have a sweet tooth that's hard to get over...
instead of using sugar for stuff try replacing them with stuff like stevia or agave nectar.

Stevia is an herb that tastes fairly sweet (slightly bitter aftertaste though) and doesn't at all affect blood sugar. In fact, I read somewhere that it can help regulate your blood sugar, though that was claimed on a site that was selling the stuff (and no other search has confirmed their claim). You can find it in any health food grocery store in either powdered or liquid form.

And agave nectar has the consistency of like both molasses and honey combined into one (sweet but quite thick). Its really low on the glycemic index so it is generally considered safe for diabetics. Not quite as sweet as honey but it's still pretty good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: