Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone still play MUD games? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anyone still play MUD games?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 05:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Topic says it all. Anyone?

I used to lose hours and hours and hours of my life on those things, but had such great fun. I came across the source code for CircleMud on a CD the other day and I was reminiscing.

[ 12-12-2008, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 05:35 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
Topic says it all.
Except for WTF a MUD is... [Roll Eyes]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 05:45 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was that easier than going to Google and typing in "mud"?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 05:47 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. [Smile] Seeing as not everyone here who doesn't know is gonna take the time to Google mud (which will probably produce a trillion hits).

And there's this little thing about teaser subject headers... [Roll Eyes]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if you don't know what a MUD is then you don't play them! [Razz]

Link

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 05:57 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing the trouble people will go thru to aviod answering a simple freakin question... [Razz]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-11-2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Wikipedia can help!

quote:

Mud (disambiguation)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mud can refer to one of several things:

* Mud, a liquid or semi-liquid mixture of water and soil
* Mud, in the construction industry, is wet plaster, joint compound, stucco, cement; see also slurry
* Mudslinging, saying bad things about one's political opponent
* Mud (band), a British glam rock band
* Coffee is sometimes referred to as "mud," either as a pejorative, denoting that it is stale, grainy, and distasteful, or just as shorthand, as it is used in diner lingo.
* MUD Coffee, a specialty coffee company in the East Village, NYC
* Mud, a record label, part of Parasol Records

MUD can mean:

* Master of Urban Design
* Multi-User Dungeon, a type of multi-player computer game
* MUD, in the game of contract bridge, is a defensive signalling convention that stands for Middle-Up-Down.
* Municipal Utility District, a special type of local government formed with exclusive rights to manage and distribute one or more commodities in the interests of the public shareholders of those commodities (typical examples include water districts or publicly owned electricity companies).
* MUD eXtension Protocol (MXP), a format for extending Multi-User Dungeons
* Master User Domain - In Windows NT 4.0 domains deployment strategies - a domain, containing only users, not resources
* Mud (TV series), a BBC television programme
* Manchester's Unbelievable Dungeon, a private members' club in the fetish community in the north west of England, United Kingdom
* Matched-unrelated donor in organ transplantation

Perhaps not. I'm betting it's the game based on the context.

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 06:10 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to spend a decent amount of time on a few MUDs. There was a roman themed one I liked and a crazy Cthulu Mud based on the works of HP Lovecraft.

Once Everquest came out I got away from text based stuff. I played FF XI extensively and now just Wow and some Xbox live.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2008 06:52 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord...
I thought most of you guys were talented enough to build your own REAL dungeon instead of creating one in the computer...
GEEKS! [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-11-2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait until you play "AOE" .. [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-12-2008 08:19 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Amazing the trouble people will go thru to aviod answering a simple freakin question...
Well, next time try asking politely instead of insinuating that it was somehow my fault that you didn't understand the subject and you'll find that I would be happy to answer.

"Anyone still do this?" is a teaser subject.

"Anyone still play MUDs?" is not.

For the record, MUD stands for "Multi-User Dungeon" or "Multi-User Dimension" or possibly some other things. They're basically multi-user text based role playing games, and they've been around since way before the Internet went all graphical. This was back in the days of Telnet, Z-Modem, Gopher, Finger, ... remember that?

I've personally played on several MUDs set in Middle-Earth, some in the Star Wars universe, and one based on Star Trek. Although I quickly discovered that I didn't know as much about Star Trek as I thought I did.

As a programmer I was also fascinated with the source code and what made them work. I always wanted to dive in and start modifying the code but never really got around to it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-12-2008 10:04 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
"Anyone still play MUDs?" is not.
Yes, it is. Because a reader has to open the thread to find out what it's talking about.

Now after slogging thru about 10 posts I finally know what the hell "MUD" means. If it had been defined in the title I could have skipped the topic which holds no interest for my non-gaming self.

I hate when a newspaper or magazine article uses some acronym and never defines it. In order to make this topic user-friendly for everyone the acronym should have been defined in the topic title, unless it's a generally famous acronym like "FBI" or "WWW." Just my 2¢.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-12-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
...Yes, it is. Because a reader has to open the thread to find out what it's talking about.

Now after slogging thru about 10 posts I finally know what the hell "MUD" means. If it had been defined in the title I could have skipped the topic which holds no interest for my non-gaming self....

Thank you Mike, you've proven my point. [thumbsup]

And Mark, now that is clear from at least two other people that your thread title is clear as MUD, why don't you do everyone a favor and edit it to say what you mean? [Big Grin]

And be thankful I'm the one pointing this out, and not having the Grand Poo-Bah delete the thread because of the teaser title.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-12-2008 03:13 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Wait until you play "AOE" ..
Area of Effect?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our dearly departed George Carlin would have disapproved of referring to FBI, WWW, etc as acronyms. "MUD" in this context IS an acronym as it spells a word. According to the late Mr Carlin, if I recall this correctly, FBI, CIA, KGB are not acronyms. They are dicks.
I do agree with Mike about being annoyed when an article uses abbreviations and the like and does not bother explaining what these abbreviations mean.
I am sure if Brad, Adam or one of the administrators finds the thread title wrong, they will jump in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: