Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Giving up the landline phone for cell-only service. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Giving up the landline phone for cell-only service.
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-24-2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are saying that more and more people are now using justs their cell phones for their primary telephone service. My nephew, in fact, does just that. It's a cheaper way to go as it avoids all those taxes and fees stacked on fees the landline phone company charges.

For me, there are two problems with that scenario: I HATE the physicality of the cell phone itself. It's small and clumsy; I like a big earpiece that covers my ear and a handset that I can hold to my ear with my shoulder and grip with a full hand. The cell phone is just too damn wimpy. But even more of a negative is that in our apartment, we've got a fairly elaborate telephone network with three phones in the bedroom -- one on either side of the bed and one on my desk, one each in the kitchen, living room, bathroom (yes, bathroom so it can be answered in the shower) and two in the guest room, one by the bed and one at a small workbench. We want whatever telephone service we use to be able to be reached from any of those phones.

So, if we were going to use our cell service, how would it be possible to interconnect to my existing telephones? If the cell providers don't have some kind of an interface that can just hook up to that existing circuit that drives all those phones, then it means you would have to carry that stupid little cell phone wherever you go in the house, otherwise you would miss calls if you were in a room where the cell was not.

Even worse, even if I do carry it around the house ALL THE TIME (never gonna happen), the one great thing that the landline does for us is that it connects to a little device which senses when the telephone line is in use and it then drops the sound system volume down 15db (or off, if so desired). This is something I just couldn't do without. I have speakers in every room in the apartment and we play music, tv, film sound throughout the house much of the time when we are home and almost all of the time when either of us are home alone, so if I am in the bedroom and a call comes in, with a cell phone I would have to run to the living room to turn down the system; that's going backward in our own "personal" technology about 30 years.

So here's a question -- does anyone know if there IS an interface that would allow a cell phone to send a duplex signal to a standard telephone line? Surely with all that cell technology and bluetooth stuff, they could figure out a way so that regular telephones could be used with cellphone systems. If we can't get our existing household telephones to work with the cellphone service, then we will never be convinced to use the cell service as our primary telephone service.

And PS -- the way we get around the "Telephone Company" prices and their never-ending nickel & dimeing us to death -- we use Vonage off the cable service. It powers all our phones right out of the Vonage VoIP broadband router. And it's $24.95 a month....never changes no matter how much we use it for long distance, plus, it comes with every feature the phone company offers and more. Whereas the phone company charges you individually for each and every feature, Vonage has all those features, (stuff like call forwarding, voice mail, call waiting, etc.) all included in their monthly rate. Still, I wouldn't need Vonage at, IF I could get the cell to work the existing phones.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-24-2008 08:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Frank, can't answer your question about somehow linking a cell phone to regular phones (I think that's what you're asking).

A couple months ago I decided I had to have an iPhone 3G. To help justify the extra monthly expense, I decided to dump my Qwest landline. I did this knowing that cell service is very touchy where I live, since there are hills between me and the cell tower(s). However the iPhone's cell performance is better than any other cell phone I've owned, and I convinced myself it would work.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

After living cell-only for a while, I discovered even my iPhone 3G can't deal with the dead zone at one end of my house where the bedrooms are. I was getting cut off repeatedly. This turned out to be a deal breaker.

Also, I can't get used to the idea of not being able to just pick up a phone receiver and pressing "9-1-1" in some kind of emergency. Having to unlock the iPhone or retrieve it from its charger or who knows what just bugs me.

So long story short is I got my landline back. I have the absolute rock-bottom cheapest service Qwest offers, no frills. With all taxes it runs me about $24/mo. I will have to learn to live with it, unless AT&T happens to build a cell tower closer to me. And even then I'd probably keep the landline.

On the plus side, a landline is less susceptible to power outages that would cut off a digital voice service like Comcast. I don't much like the prospect of no phone service due to severe weather causing a power interruption.

Straying slightly off-topic: A guy where I work bought one of those Magic Jack devices you plug into a computer to get voice service via the Internet (basically it's VOIP). He says it works great. But the computer has to be turned on all the time! Forget that.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2008 08:47 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but:

Law Enforcement and the Government do not need a warrant and/or wiretapping permission to listen in on your cell phone conversations. As a matter of fact, with the right equipment, I can listen in on your cell conversations without getting into a whole lotta trouble.

If you use a landline, they need to get the warrant/subpoena from a judge. They usually need to have a very good reason to wiretap your landline phone, like trying to sell a senate seat or something.

I prefer to have both. Simply because who knows what kind of wackiness that could possibly ensue - I would want to be able to call 911 from a reliable phone.

Anyways.....

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-24-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have both simply that I have Qwest DSL for the internet.

No way am I going wireless at home since I do encounter issues with wireless connections at work-and that wireless service is a locked service where I had to give my laptop settings to the company to give me a key to use the system.

But, doing the cel thing is really the way to go since those plan packages, if priced right, can be to your advantage..why some landline companies now offer these basic plan packages to bring their customers back.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-24-2008 10:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'Know what else I don't like about cellular phones?

When you're really, really pissed off at somebody you can't slam the receiver down and hang up on them.
[Wink]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-25-2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been without landline for about three months now - no issues so far. Both of the house locations have/had good cell tower coverage so going without Embarq may be a viable way to go.

Getting ready to turn on Cox Cable for broadband in the new house. My brother uses his T-Mobile service for wireless broadband to his laptop at the house. That way is too slow for me. I was a DSL user for the last seven years - we'll see how this cable thing goes, reliability and cost wise.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-25-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
does anyone know if there IS an interface that would allow a cell phone to send a duplex signal to a standard telephone line?
It can be done, Frank. It's been several years, but I once had such a box. We had an old remote broadcast setup that worked on a dial-up basis. It needed to hear dial tone, and connected by touch tone. I got the adapter from our local Motorola dealer, since that was the brand of the cell phone.

Don't know if you can still get them, or who would have 'em, but it has been done.

--------

After 15 years, our landline number found its way to some off-shore med factory. Before we changed the number we were getting some 20 calls a day [Mad] [fu] [Mad]

I kept the line, thinking I HAD to have a hard wire for 911 service. In reality, we haven't picked up the line since I changed the number, and nobody knows what the new number is.

Every member of my family has a cell phone, and my office has a Vonage line.

We really haven't used, or missed our Qwest line, like I thought we would.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-25-2008 03:29 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. We use our cell phones almost exclusively. I rarely make outgoing calls from the hard-wired phone, but it's part of our cable package or else we would've had it shut off long ago. I use it so infrequently, and if I do I just hit it from my PDA's address book, that I have trouble remembering the number.

Frank, my cell is usually attached to my belt in a very comfortable leather pouch. If it rings, I am right there to pick it up. No worries about having multiple phones in each room - the cell phone follows you if you want it to.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-25-2008 07:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an advocate of hard-wired telephone service for a bunch of reasons:

- sound quality (I hate talking to people on cell phones because the digital variety that is common now tends to clip the first and last bit of each word; also, most sets lack proper sidetone and thus people tend to shout into them)

- privacy/security (as Dennis mentioned above)

- reliability in power outages (many cell tower sites have limited or no power backup in case of power failure; telephone central offices run on 48v battery power and have generators that can run for days without central power; also, cell phones themselves require battery power); the POTS infrastructure is built to a completely different and much higher standard than the cell phone infrastructure

- telephone listing (is it even possible to be listed in the phone book with a cell phone? also, E911 services can link a POTS line to a physical address; cell phone location systems tend to be less precise)

- DSL (it can be difficult or impossible to get DSL service without voice service at the same location)

- fax and modem connectivity (I don't know how many people still care about these services, but they require POTS lines)

- ability for multiple people to talk on same line by picking up multiple extensions

- ability for multiple lines to appear on a single telephone set (more useful in a business setting than in a home)

To answer Frank's question, it _is_ possible to connect a cell phone to a home's telephones, but I don't know the details on how. Muting a stereo system is do-able; an "A-lead control box" for a 1A2 key system (which does not actually require a KSU) will provide a contact closure when a receiver is lifted and that could be used to control a relay to control the sound system. There might be an easier way to do this as well.

One potential issue with such a system (and with the ATAs that Vonage and other VOIP providers offer) is that they may not necessarily be able to ring more than one or two telephone sets. A standard POTS line will be able to ring five sets (each with an REN of 1.0, though sets with electronic ringers usually have a lower REN). Ask about this before buying anything.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-26-2008 12:52 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
One potential issue with such a system (and with the ATAs that Vonage and other VOIP providers offer) is that they may not necessarily be able to ring more than one or two telephone sets.
That's a good point, though I haven't tried to find out how many an ATA will do.

Mine is wired in to my Panasonic KSU. It triggers it fine.

*** FRANK ***

Check this out. It may be what you're looking for.

http://www.cellsocket.com/

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My plumber wears a small receiver clipped to his ear like a hearing aid, to keep his hands free while working. He works at great speed, and doesn't need to use his hands for the phone at all. I suppose the phone transmits from his pocket or belt.

My wife bought a new hybrid Camry that transmits her cell phone from her handbag to the car's sound system even if it's not turned on. (Blue Tooth?)

And a grand-niece makes all her international calls from her laptop to the landlines of relatives and friends overseas, saving her a bundle.

So with the rapid development of cellphone applications, perhaps the interface Frank seeks will become generally available before long, if the landline companies can absorb the economic consequences of the transition in timely fashion.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-26-2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never owned a cell phone although my wife has one. There's no way we're disconnecting our landline - cell service is too spotty and if one of us happened to sit on the phone, or it fell into the toilet or got left somewhere, we would be out of touch. I personally don't feel the need for one in most cases -- if I'm at work, there are phones everywhere and if we travel, I can use Lynn's phone.

Even if I do get my own cell, which I suppose will happen at some point, I just don't want to have that thing following me around all the time. I like the idea that I can go out for a drive, or to dinner or to the movie or whatever and I am NOT AVAILABLE, dammit.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-26-2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
Law Enforcement and the Government do not need a warrant and/or wiretapping permission to listen in on your cell phone conversations. As a matter of fact, with the right equipment, I can listen in on your cell conversations without getting into a whole lotta trouble.

If you use a landline, they need to get the warrant/subpoena from a judge. They usually need to have a very good reason to wiretap your landline phone, like trying to sell a senate seat or something.

In short: No.
Without a warrant, it is illegal for them to intercept your calls, whether they are from a land-line or wireless. Just because you CAN do it with certain equipment doesn't make it legal.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-26-2008 12:50 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wife and I ditched land lines 3 years ago. No regrets.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You always have the option of "turning it OFF!" as we ask all of our movie patrons to do.

KEN [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: