Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 2008 National Film Registry Selections

Author Topic: 2008 National Film Registry Selections
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2008 09:12 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Library of Congress:

Films Selected to the 2008 National Film Registry

1. The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
2. Deliverance (1972)
3. Disneyland Dream (1956)
4. A Face in the Crowd (1957)
5. Flower Drum Song (1961)
6. Foolish Wives (1922)
7. Free Radicals (1979)
8. Hallelujah (1929)
9. In Cold Blood (1967)
10. The Invisible Man (1933)
11. Johnny Guitar (1954)
12. The Killers (1946)
13. The March (1964)
14. No Lies (1973)
15. On the Bowery (1957)
16. One Week (1920)
17. The Pawnbroker (1965)
18. The Perils of Pauline (1914)
19. Sergeant York (1941)
20. The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)
21. So’s Your Old Man (1926)
22. George Stevens WW2 Footage (1943-46)
23. The Terminator (1984)
24. Water and Power (1989)
25. White Fawn’s Devotion (1910)

(For details, click the link above.)

|  IP: Logged

Tom Doyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Tom Doyle   Email Tom Doyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone missed it, the Hartford Courant did an unusual story about one of the films, 'Disneyland Dream'. It's a home movie shot by a Connecticut family in 1956 while going on a vacation they won. Steve Martin claims that he appears in it.

You can see it here:
http://www.archive.org/details/barstow_disneyland_dream_1956

And the article is from here:
Hartford Courant, 1/6/09
------------------------------------------------------------
They're Just Two Wild And Crazy Guys
By SUSAN DUNNE | The Hartford Courant
January 6, 2009

-
Robbins Barstow with his wife and kids in July 1956, after son Danny, in front, won a family trip to Disneyland in a national slogan contest. The family is dressed in Davy Crockett outfits for the occasion. A home movie that Robbins Barstow made of the trip has been admitted into the National Film Registry, and a fleeting image in that movie turns out to be none other than Steve Martin, who worked at Disneyland for several years. Martin saw the film, recognized himself hawking guidebooks at his old post, and began a correspondence with Barstow. (COURANT FILE PHOTO / July 6, 1956)

Robbins Barstow of Wethersfield, who last week learned a home movie he made in 1956 has been admitted into the National Film Registry, has gained a new pen pal as a result of the honor.

After the news hit that "Disneyland Dream," filmed on a family vacation to Anaheim, Calif., had been chosen for preservation, Barstow received an e-mail from actor and comedian Steve Martin.

Martin, a self-described "Disneyland junkie," wrote (reprinted with permission from Martin): "At age eleven I worked at Disneyland. I sold guidebooks at the park from 1956 to about 1958. I am as positive as one can be that I appear about 20:20 into your film, low in the frame, dressed in a top hat, vest, and striped pink shirt, moving from left to right, holding a guidebook out for sale."

Barstow, 89, wrote back to Martin: "Frankly, if you had not identified the spot, we never would have guessed from that split-second shot of a black top hat at the bottom of the screen, that the small figure wearing it, with a vest and striped shirt, moving from left to right, holding a guidebook, was Steve Martin!

"You must possess both very sharp eyes and a large, high-definition screen to have picked up that scene, taken just as we are starting to enter the Disneyland Park through the passageway under the railroad track. I missed it, but my wife Meg thought she glimpsed a top hat, so we replayed that bit several times, and we are now convinced that it must have been you wearing it."

Martin replied: "I knew exactly where to look in the shot to see myself, as that is the specific location I worked for several years."

Martin was full of praise for Barstow's film. Barstow and Martin agreed to exchange gifts: Martin will send Barstow a signed copy of his memoir, "Born Standing Up," and Barstow will send Martin a signed DVD of "Disneyland Dream."

You can try to catch a glimpse of little Steve yourself. "Disneyland Dream" can be seen at archive.org. According to Barstow, "He is moving from left to right, and all you can see at the start is the top of his black hat at the very bottom of the frame on the left. This keeps moving to the right as the train passes over, and very briefly his figure rises up at the extreme right so you can see his black vest, white shirt, and two frames of a guidebook in his hand."

— Susan Dunne

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: