Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Australia to view this year's Oscars 'live'!

Author Topic: Australia to view this year's Oscars 'live'!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2009 05:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While this may seem a pretty obvious thing to do, thus far in history the owners of the TV rights here (Nine Network TV) have NEVER played them live as it starts around 12.30pm here. As a result they don't 'waste them' on a non-prime time slot and instead always record them and play them that night from around 8pm. This can be incredibly frustrating as it doesn't stop others from reporting the results on the news etc. Trying to stay uninformed until the evening telecast has often proved so frustratingly impossible ("Hey, did you hear (insert oscar winning name here) won for Best Actor?) as workmates or others blurt out results.

Often on the day if I know I'm going to bother with the telecast I have entered a room and before anyone speaks blurt out myself "Don'ttellmeanythingabouttheoscarsI'mwatchingthemtonight!" On occasions, this does not stop people meaning unfortunately, I have had to have them killed.

But hey, there's nothing like a bit of healthy competition to make these guys at Nine right their wrong...

-----------------------------------
11/12/2008: OSCARS LIVE VIA SATELLITE FOR AUSTRALIA

For the first time ever in the history of the Academy Awards, Australians will have the chance to watch the Oscars live from the Kodak Theatre – and for those with subscription tv, a choice of two services, after Movie EXTRA acquired pay tv rights and announced it would air the Oscars live from 10am (red carpet), forcing Channel 9 to follow suit.

Channel 9 has hitherto held back the broadcast till the evening prime time, but will now broadcast it twice on the same day in response to the pay tv operator’s move.

The awards ceremony will begin at 12.30pm; and if you can’t get the time off work, you can catch the whole broadcast that same night at 8.30 on Nine or 12am (Tuesday February 24) on Movie EXTRA, which will also screen a 90 minute special highlights program on Wednesday February 25 at 4pm.

-------------

...finally. [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-02-2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I just figured you guys watched them before they even happen. Hell, you celebrated the New Year half a day before I did! [Razz]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and they say we are a backwards country [Wink]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-04-2009 08:28 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you have Hugh Jackman to thank for this (he is hosting).

--jhawk

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-04-2009 03:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, but it's the first time Nine has had someone else in competition...it's never been available on PayTV before.

I think that's more the case.

When SHINE was up for Best Picture, there was plenty of interest here...they did nothing different.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: