Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » eBay shipping cost question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: eBay shipping cost question
Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2009 09:20 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have experience shipping heavy things sold on eBay? I'm going to be putting up an electric guitar and an amp but don't know how to set up shipping cost easily. Do I have to box the items and weigh them then get USPS to quote me then have the customer pay in advance? Or do I ship it then hope the customer pays me back for shipping?

Stupid student loan payments kicked in...

|  IP: Logged

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just put the items and packaging on a scale, then goto whoever your going to ship with web site and get an estimate. I would use the farthest point your willing to ship as your posted shipping cost.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-08-2009 09:53 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler: If you use a website to calculate your shipping cost, be sure to take note of the measurements of your shipping box. UPS charges by size as well as by weight and distance, and the postal service also has "large package" surcharges when you exceed a certain size. UPS also has extra charges for shipping to residences and small towns. But all this can be calculated at the appropriate website (ups.com or usps.com).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-08-2009 10:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPS is EXTREMELY expensive to ship through, since I think normal people without accounts must go through The UPS Store. Kinkos/FedEx is much cheaper (quicker to deal with at the counter, too), and FedEx is less likely to destroy your shipment. According to my friend who works for FedEx, signatures of the recipient are not required, but they like to get one if they can.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-08-2009 10:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't go to a UPS store just to ship via UPS; they mark up the shipping cost. Non-business customers can ship via UPS at less-inflated rates by going to a "UPS customer counter." These can be found on their web site.

A UPS Store can actually be useful if you need the item packed properly before mailing it. Unfortunately, damage claims can be difficult to pursue through them. I shipped something back in August of last year at a UPS store specifically because I wanted it to be packed correctly. Naturally, the unit was damaged in shipment (apparently due to rough handling and not improper packing) and it took until December to get a check from UPS to cover the repair costs.

Fedex Ground is generally good to deal with and cheaper than UPS. I would recommend either over USPS for shipping something expensive and fragile.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2009 06:29 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the process of shipping 12 cases from Iowa to myself in Medford and checked with UPS, FedEx and DHL. The least expensive was DHL at about $650. So I checked with the post office and learned I could mail them all for $94.83. I have sold some stuff on eBay and charged the buyer shipping. Check with the shipping companies and post office and add the freight and any extra insurance to the cost of the guitar.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-08-2009 07:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, I find good ol' USPS to be the fairest amongst all of them .. when using parcel post, and if shipping recorded items (CD's DVD's, audio/film recordings, printed matter) - then Media Rate wins them all, but with a small price: Media Rate is a ground shipped item.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-08-2009 09:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reccomend "Foamed In Place" for heavy valualable things sold. This way the foam in place outfit also packs it at the same time eliminating the packing hassle AND liability for you. Getting UPS or whom ever's insurance doesn't necessarily eliminate the liability if they deny a claim. I also always charge extra for packing heavy objects... Its going to take you time and tape/packing materials or the "Foam In Place" guy to do it!

Mark

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-08-2009 10:25 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay over the years and the buyer has always paid shipping costs. In turn, I have always paid when I bought something.

Granted these were never really heavy items, but we're a long way away from the rest of the world so it's not cheap.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-08-2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Don't go to a UPS store just to ship via UPS; they mark up the shipping cost.
I thought they went to using the standard (not marked-up) rates a couple of years ago. Either way it can be expensive.

I'm really curious about Robert's situation:

quote: Robert E. Allen
shipping 12 cases from Iowa to myself in Medford and checked with UPS, FedEx and DHL. The least expensive was DHL at about $650. So I checked with the post office and learned I could mail them all for $94.83.
Over $600 for DHL, but the Post Office shipped the same stuff for under $100? and UPS was even MORE than DHL??? UPS rates aren't THAT much different from the post office. Maybe they quoted air rates or something.

Eric Webb
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2009 12:52 AM      Profile for Eric Webb   Email Eric Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like all are increasing their prices during this month also.
USPS on Jan 18. USPS Price Changes
UPS & FedEx changed their prices on the 5th
UPS Price Changes
FedEx Price Changes

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2009 02:50 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike!

I went to the websites for DHL, UPS and FedEx last month and did the figuring using their software. I went to the USPS website last month and again a few days ago and their price was the same for 12 2'x2'x2' 25 pound boxes $94.83. They were all ground rates.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-09-2009 10:10 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,

Well I hate to ruin your day, but that rate for the Postal Service is for EACH box, not a total for 12 boxes.

I went to UPS.com and put in the specs you provided and got a result of $746.40 for UPS vs. $1137.96 for the post office. I also selected that you would "give your packages to the UPS driver" instead of scheduling a pickup (it saves money to do that). In addition, I selected a "residential" delivery -- if you could have the packages sent to a commercial address (a storefront, not a business-in-a-home address) that'll save money as well. Finally, I selected that you do NOT have a daily pickup account. If you could find someone who does have an account to handle the shipment for you (using their software rather than going thru the webvsite) it could cost even less. Since I don't know the exact zip codes or Iowa city involved, actual costs might vary somewhat but not too much.

One thing: You said you were shipping "cases" -- if that means non-cardboard wood or metal shipping cases, you will have to pay an additional-handling fee on each one, somewhere around $5 per package.

In case you are wondering why I seem to know so much about this UPS stuff, we have a UPS customer counter in our store so I ship anywhere from 5 to 50 packages a day.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike:

You're absolutely correct. Boy, do I feel stupid! Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-09-2009 11:57 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem! [Smile] Another thought would be to check with a local trucking company. I have less experience with that, but I think it might be cheaper than the UPS option.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: