Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Number 6 dies at 80.

Author Topic: Number 6 dies at 80.
Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite actors died yesterday, Patrick McGoohan.
So, here is the entire Prisoner series streaming on AMC.

Most of the youngsters would know him better as King Edward in Braveheart.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-14-2009 01:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the BBC, the story below:

"Emmy-winning actor Patrick McGoohan, best known for starring in cult 1960s TV show The Prisoner, has died at the age of 80.

He died in Los Angeles after a short illness, his film producer son-in-law Cleve Landsberg told Associated Press.

McGoohan played the character Six in the surreal 1960s show, filmed in the north Wales village of Portmeirion.

He won two Emmy awards for his work on TV detective series Columbo, playing different characters.

The first came for an episode of the series in 1974, with another 16 years later.

'I am a free man'

The screen star also won a Bafta award for best television actor in 1959 for his role in The Greatest Man In The World, a one-off drama in ITV's Armchair Theatre series.

In more recent years, McGoohan played King Edward Longshanks in the 1995 Mel Gibson film Braveheart.
Patrick McGoohan
The actor also starred in ITV series Danger Man, which began in 1960

The actor, who was born in New York and raised in England and Ireland, came to screen prominence in TV series Danger Man, in which he played a secret service agent. The programme later aired as Secret Agent in the US.

He was later considered for the role of James Bond for the movie Dr No.

But McGoohan was chiefly associated with cult ITV drama The Prisoner, writing some of the episodes himself under a different name.

His character spent the entire time attempting to escape from The Village and finding out the identity of his captor, the elusive Number One.

He repeatedly declared: "I am not a number - I am a free man!"

In 2000, McGoohan reprised his most famous role in an episode of The Simpsons.

McGoohan's last role came in 2002, as a voice artist in animated picture Treasure Planet.

Last year, ITV confirmed that Passion of the Christ star Jim Caviezel would take the role of Number Six in a remake of The Prisoner, which will also star Sir Ian McKellen."

I use to have "KAR120C" as a username on some extinct chat forums

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 01:41 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe, yeah my ebay user name is kar120cc (the one c version was always taken)

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-14-2009 01:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from his "Columbo" appearances (of which, he also directed), I'll probably best remember him as Devereau in "Silver Streak".

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember him as Mr. Smith in Ice Station Zebra where is awakened from a sound sleep by an actor calling him Mr. Smith. He shoves a gun in the mans face later the captain of the ship ask him what happened.

"It wasn't so much being awakened it was what he called me." McGoohan

Rock Hudson "He called you Mr. Smith."

McGoohan "I once killed a man called Jones. Though not for that reason, of course. "

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2009 04:09 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Number 6 finally escapes The Village.

Guess someone has to say it: "Be seeing you!"

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-14-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing when one does a Google search on "the Prisoner", how many fan based sites that are in respect of this short, 17 episode show...

My first experience of "the Prisoner" was in the Summer of 1968 when our local CBS station broadcast this show. as a kid of high school age was totally absorbed in this form of futuristic drama which presented the form of 'dehumanization' that came from "across the pond".

I've got the A&E DVD set of these episodes.

..and I have seen a Lotus Super7 car like he drove in the series..and this car is still available in kit form to build.

-Monte

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-15-2009 12:26 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite among his works is "Ice Station Zebra" and of course his "Columbo" stuff.

RIP Mr. McGoohan

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 09:50 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this guy the most from the early days of Walt Disneys Wonderful World of Color. The 3 part movie was, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. WDP just realeased a newly restored version of the miniseries. They put in on the market for 30 days and then pulled it for some unknown reason. I just picked up a copy on Ebay and paid a fairly high price to get a copy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: