Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bloody Valentine 3D - Best place to sit???

Author Topic: Bloody Valentine 3D - Best place to sit???
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a fan of 3D (and actually the original version of MBV from the 80s) I am looking forward to seeing this film. Since my experience with Digital 3D is extremely limited (Chicken Little and Nightmare Before Christmas) I was hoping I could get some advice on where it's best to sit in the theater.

I have seen lots of 3D film and it seemed that the center section(obviously) and farther back provided the most realistic 3D effect of objects protruding from the screen and appearing to be over the heads of the audience. Does that hold true for the digital presentation? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the best 3-D seat is as center as possible. Vertically, in a room with stadium seating, sit so your eyeline is approximately at the center of the screen.

In other words, you should sit with your eyes looking directly at the center of the screen.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-15-2009 05:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on the 3-D presentation. If it is a Real D presenttion, the ideal place to sit is in the centre due to the use of a silver screen. I had a great seat in the middle for a Real D showing of BEOWOLF but had to go to the bathroom. Not wanting to disturb the people around where my original seat was, I decided to see the rest of the movie from a seat on the right side of the auditorium after doing my duty at the BR and it turned out to be a mistake because the 3-D effect was not very good from that side seat. I was planning to see BOLT in another theatre in Honolulu in Dolby Digital 3-D but it was gone before I had the opportunity to see it. I understand because the Dolby process does not require a silver screen, I guess any seat would do but it would not be a bad idea to sit in the middle of the auditorium like I always do when I see both 2-D and 3-D films in a theatre.

-Claude

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 05:10 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like good advice. I wasn't thinking about the stadium seating.

I suppose I am out of the loop...the Dolby 3D process doesn't require a silver screen? Is it field sequential?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-15-2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

quote:
Rather than requiring the expense, hassle, and technical compromises of installing a silver screen, Dolby 3D Digital Cinema uses the standard white screen already in place. And it utilizes a standard digital cinema projector with a simple filter accessory.
linky

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-15-2009 11:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best place to sit? If it's like so many slasher films that preceded it, the best seat in the house is one far outside of the movie theater!
[Razz]

Nah, it might be a fun flick to see. I had a good time watching Friday the 13th Part III in 3D in its original release. The 3D was the only thing that made that movie worth a damn. HD Net Movies played it recently and it really sucks dung beetles without the 3D.

Regarding seating position, just stay away from the first few rows in the front of the auditorium. Around the middle of the auditorium and farther back is the best bet. I tried sitting close during one 3D show and the trailer for Coraline just didn't work. There's a scene in that trailer where a knitting needle comes through some cloth and pierces toward the camera. When you're sitting in the sweet spot of the theater it looks freaking cool. But in the first couple or so rows that damned needle is splitting apart and making a big damned "V" in front of your face and causing some eye strain too.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 12:08 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For any system, the preferred seating position would be around the middle of the auditorium and from there to the back.

For Real-D presentations, this is even more important, and the front corners of the auditorium should be seriously avoided.

Imagine a triangle going from the middle of the theater to the back. That would be a general rule of thumb for the preferred seating in a traditional theater. For stadium seating, there are other theories that may or may not apply, depending on the geometry of the theater.

As a general rule, for stadium seating, I would change the shape of that imaginary triangle to an oval, but pretty much keep the preferred zones.

I.e., in a stadium seating, I rather sit closer from the front-center that too-much to the side on the back. Just substitute the triangular seating zones for ovals that favour the front of the theater rather than the back corners.

Also, the size of the screen plays a role in the seating position. If the screen is really large, you surely want to favor seating from the middle-back, and try to avoid from the middle-forward. On a smaller screen, it may be ok to sit a bit closer to the screen (more forgiving).

The "depth" is percieved as a relative factor of the viewer and the screen position. Say an object is made to "go out of the screen" half-way from the screen to your eyes. Well, if you sit REEEEEALLY close to the screen, this is only a couple of feet out of screen, half-way between you and the screen. If you sit all the way to the back, half way between you and the screen will be many-many feet away from the screen, right around the middle of the auditorium, and there is where you will see the object floating.

I remember projecting Friday the 13th III 3D ... lots of fun with the audience reactions and impresive opening titles. Valentine 3D will be that good-old-80's-3D-slasher-feeling all over again, I bet.

It will do good business. Youth hasn't seen anything like that (a 3D slasher) ... ever. And they are gonna laugh their asses off and love it. After they watch five of those B films and the novelty wears out, they'll go back to hunky vampires and farting druggies.

Valentine 3D = 80's Friday 13th 3D
Pirahna 3D = 80's Jaws 3D
Journey to the centre = sort of like 80's Treasure of the Four Crowns
Now we just need a couple of monsters movies (APE, frankenstein) ... oh, wait, we have Monsters (albeit animated [Wink] ), a couple of skin flicks ( [sex] ), some science fiction like SpaceHunter or MetalStorm (wait, we have Avatar and perhaps Beowulf counts too) ...

The only novelty seems to be the concert movies (Hannah and the brothers) and much more animated stuff. In the 80's 3D we only got one animated movie (Starchaser).

Who was that who said history repeats itself?

[Edited to remove linked graphics]

[ 01-16-2009, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Julio Roberto ]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2009 02:53 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The promos seem to indicate this is going to be another "let's throw things at the camera and make the audience jump" 3-D film we had so many of in the 50s. If that's to your liking then sit in the middle. If you like good stories then find a seat in another auditorium.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2009 03:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio - go back and edit your post pointing to those pictures that you need to UPLOAD to THIS server.

Off site linking is not permitted as it destroys the integrity of the archives. You may be removed otherwise. Read the FAQ and rules pages please.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 02:28 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your input. I'm going tonight (before the Jonas Brothers get the screen - WTF is up with them anyway? They blow!)and will plan on sitting as close to the center of the image (both in height and width) as possible.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-22-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(before the Jonas Brothers get the screen - WTF is up with them anyway? They blow!)
Yeah - as in "blow the roof off." They will probably gross more on day 1 than MBV does in its whole run. And once again, 3-D will have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it Mike the JB show would be a good place to scope out some MILFs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: